Scott A Shaffer
Affiliation: University of California
- Diving and swimming performance of white whales, Delphinapterus leucas: an assessment of plasma lactate and blood gas levels and respiratory ratesS A Shaffer
Marine Sciences Department, University of California, Santa Cruz, CA 95064, USA
J Exp Biol 200:3091-9. 1997..8 m s-1. The results of this study are consistent with the calculated aerobic dive limit (O2 store/metabolic rate) of 9-10 min. In addition, white whales are not well adapted for high-speed swimming compared with other small cetaceans...
- Validation of water flux and body composition in glaucous gulls (Larus hyperboreus)Scott A Shaffer
Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, University of California, Santa Cruz, 95060, USA
Physiol Biochem Zool 79:836-45. 2006..The difference in TBW determined by BCA versus isotopic dilution ranged between -1.02% and +8.59% of mass. On average, TBW measured isotopically (632 +/- 24 g kg(-1)) overestimated true body water by a factor of 1.033...
- Migratory shearwaters integrate oceanic resources across the Pacific Ocean in an endless summerScott A Shaffer
Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, University of California, Santa Cruz, CA 95064, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:12799-802. 2006..Sooty shearwater populations today are declining, and because they operate on a global scale, they may serve as an important indicator of climate change and ocean health...
- Interpolation of animal tracking data in a fluid environmentYann Tremblay
University of California, Santa Cruz, Long Marine Laboratory, Center for Ocean Health, 100 Shaffer Road, Santa Cruz, CA 95060, USA
J Exp Biol 209:128-40. 2006..We also provide some guidelines for choosing an algorithm that is most likely to maximize track quality for different types of marine vertebrates...
- Heart rate and energy expenditure of incubating wandering albatrosses: basal levels, natural variation, and the effects of human disturbanceHenri Weimerskirch
Centre d Etudes Biologiques de Chize, CNRS, 79360 Villiers en Bois, France
J Exp Biol 205:475-83. 2002..Lastly, males and females reacted differently to handling in terms of HR response: males reacted more strongly than females before handling, whereas females took longer to recover after being handled...
- Effect of age, breeding experience and senescence on corticosterone and prolactin levels in a long-lived seabird: the wandering albatrossFrederic Angelier
Centre d Etudes Biologiques de Chize, Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, F 79360 Villiers en Bois, Deux Sevres, France
Gen Comp Endocrinol 149:1-9. 2006..Low corticosterone levels in senescent birds could be associated with a lower ability to secrete/sustain elevated corticosterone levels or with a decreased parental expenditure...
- Corticosterone and foraging behavior in a pelagic seabirdFrederic Angelier
Centre d Etudes Biologiques de Chize, Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, F 79360 Villiers en Bois, France
Physiol Biochem Zool 80:283-92. 2007....
- Genome-specific gas-phase fractionation strategy for improved shotgun proteomic profiling of proteotypic peptidesAlexander Scherl
Department of Medicinal Chemistry, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
Anal Chem 80:1182-91. 2008....