S E Sephton
Affiliation: University of Louisville
- Religiosity may help preserve the cortisol rhythm in women with stress-related illnessEric A Dedert
University of Louisville, Kentucky, USA
Int J Psychiatry Med 34:61-77. 2004..This study investigated associations of religiosity and spirituality with psychological and physiological (endocrine) measures of stress in a sample of women with fibromyalgia...
- Diurnal cortisol rhythm as a predictor of lung cancer survivalSandra E Sephton
Department of Psychological and Brain Sciences, University of Louisville, Louisville, KY 40292 0001, USA
Brain Behav Immun 30:S163-70. 2013..Poorly coordinated diurnal cortisol and circadian rest-activity rhythms predict earlier mortality in metastatic breast and colorectal cancer, respectively. We examined the prognostic value of the diurnal cortisol rhythm in lung cancer...
- Diurnal cortisol rhythm as a predictor of breast cancer survivalS E Sephton
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, University of Louisville School of Medicine, KY 40292 0001, USA
J Natl Cancer Inst 92:994-1000. 2000..We explored relationships between cortisol rhythms, circulating natural killer (NK) cell counts and activity, prognostic indicators, medical treatment, and psychosocial variables...
- Depression, cortisol, and suppressed cell-mediated immunity in metastatic breast cancerSandra E Sephton
Department of Psychological and Brain Sciences, University of Louisville, Louisville, KY, USA
Brain Behav Immun 23:1148-55. 2009..This study highlights the relationships among depression, stress, and immune function in the context of advanced breast cancer...
- Spiritual expression and immune status in women with metastatic breast cancer: an exploratory studyS E Sephton
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, University of Louisville School of Medicine, Kentucky 40202, USA
Breast J 7:345-53. 2001..Upon examination of relationships with lymphocyte subsets, both helper and cytotoxic T-cell counts were greater among women reporting greater spirituality...
- Mindfulness meditation alleviates depressive symptoms in women with fibromyalgia: results of a randomized clinical trialSandra E Sephton
University of Louisville and James Graham Brown Cancer Center, Louisville, Kentucky 40202, USA
Arthritis Rheum 57:77-85. 2007..The objective of this study was to test the effects of the Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) intervention on depressive symptoms in patients with fibromyalgia...
- Circadian disruption in cancer: a neuroendocrine-immune pathway from stress to disease?Sandra Sephton
James Graham Brown Cancer Center, Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, University of Louisville School of Medicine, 500 South Preston Street, Room 210, Louisville, KY 40202, USA
Brain Behav Immun 17:321-8. 2003..Thus, stress-related circadian disruption may have negative implications for cancer prognosis. Psychosocial effects on cancer progression may be measured, and possibly mediated, by disruption of circadian function...
- Biological and psychological factors associated with memory function in fibromyalgia syndromeSandra E Sephton
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, University of Louisville School of Medicine, Louisville, KY 40292, USA
Health Psychol 22:592-7. 2003..Depressive symptoms were negatively associated with verbal recall. These findings suggest that a basic disorder of endocrine stress responses may contribute to the cognitive symptoms experienced by fibromyalgia patients...
- Improving methods of assessing natural killer cell cytotoxicitySandra E Sephton
Department of Psychological and Brain Sciences and James Graham Brown Cancer Center, University of Louisville, Kentucky 40202, USA
Int J Methods Psychiatr Res 15:12-21. 2006..Examples of these interpretation methods are presented using NK cytotoxicity data from a group of metastatic breast cancer patients. This approach will be useful in applications of NK cell measurement in psychoneuroimmunology research...
- Social support and salivary cortisol in women with metastatic breast cancerJ M Turner-Cobb
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Stanford University School of Medicine, CA, USA
Psychosom Med 62:337-45. 2000....
- Psychoneuroimmune and endocrine pathways in cancer: effects of stress and supportD Spiegel
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Stanford University, Stanford, CA 94305-5718, USA
Semin Clin Neuropsychiatry 6:252-65. 2001..NK cells are of great interest because they are involved in tumor surveillance, and because their activity can be measured in vitro...
- Sleep disturbances in women with metastatic breast cancerCheryl Koopman
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, California 94305, USA
Breast J 8:362-70. 2002..These results suggest that women with metastatic breast cancer who are at higher risk for having sleeping problems are those who are less educated, in pain, depressed, have bony metastases, or lack social support...
- Mindfulness meditation for symptom reduction in fibromyalgia: psychophysiological correlatesElizabeth Lush
Department of Psychological and Brain Sciences, University of Louisville, 2301 South Third Street, Life Sciences Building, Suite 317, Louisville, KY, 40202, USA
J Clin Psychol Med Settings 16:200-7. 2009..Arthr Rheum 57:77-85, 2007). This second study explores the effects of MBSR on basal sympathetic (SNS) activation among women with fibromyalgia...
- Repression and high anxiety are associated with aberrant diurnal cortisol rhythms in women with metastatic breast cancerJanine Giese-Davis
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Stanford University, Stanford, CA 94305 5718, USA
Health Psychol 23:645-50. 2004..Diurnal slope was similar for repressers and high-anxious groups. Groups did not differ on mean cortisol levels, nor did they differ on intercept (morning) values...
- The interaction of social network size and stressful life events predict delayed-type hypersensitivity among women with metastatic breast cancerJulie M Turner-Cobb
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA, USA
Int J Psychophysiol 54:241-9. 2004..The relationship between social network size and immune response in women with metastatic breast cancer depends on prior stressful life experience...
- Circadian effects in cancer-relevant psychoneuroendocrine and immune pathwaysEmily A Eismann
University of Louisville, Department of Psychological and Brain Sciences, Louisville, KY 40292, USA
Psychoneuroendocrinology 35:963-76. 2010..Taken together, data from clinical, systemic, cellular, and molecular research suggest the circadian clock is a tumor suppressor under both biological and behavioral control...
- Ethnicity, stress, and cortisol function in Hispanic and non-Hispanic white women: A preliminary study of family dementia caregivers and noncaregiversDolores Gallagher-Thompson
Department of Psychiatry, Stanford University School of Medicine, USA
Am J Geriatr Psychiatry 14:334-42. 2006..Dependent variables were perceived stress, depression, and salivary cortisol...
- Interleukin-6, cortisol, and depressive symptoms in ovarian cancer patientsSusan K Lutgendorf
Department of Psychology, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
J Clin Oncol 26:4820-7. 2008..The objective of the current study was to examine associations between IL-6, diurnal cortisol rhythms, and facets of depression in epithelial ovarian cancer patients...
- The influence of bio-behavioural factors on tumour biology: pathways and mechanismsMichael H Antoni
Department of Psychology, Sylvestor Cancer Center, University of Miami, P O Box 248185, Coral Gables, Florida 33124, USA
Nat Rev Cancer 6:240-8. 2006....
- Engagement and arousal: optimism's effects during a brief stressorLise Solberg Nes
University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY 40506, USA
Pers Soc Psychol Bull 31:111-20. 2005..The results support the notion that the increased engagement that arises from optimism may lead to short-term physiological costs...