Affiliation: University of Hawaii
- Comparison of potentially preventable hospitalizations related to diabetes among Native Hawaiian, Chinese, Filipino, and Japanese elderly compared with whites, Hawai'i, December 2006-December 2010Tetine L Sentell
Office of Public Health Studies, University of Hawai i at Manoa, John A Burns School of Medicine, Honolulu, HI 96822, USA
Prev Chronic Dis 10:E123. 2013..We examined racial/ethnic differences in diabetes-related potentially preventable hospitalizations (DRPH) among people aged 65 years or older for Japanese, Chinese, Filipinos, Native Hawaiians, and whites...
- Health literacy, health communication challenges, and cancer screening among rural native Hawaiian and Filipino womenTetine Sentell
Office of Public Health Studies, John A Burns School of Medicine, University of Hawai i, 1960 East West Road, BIOMED, D 104, Honolulu, HI, 96822, USA
J Cancer Educ 28:325-34. 2013..Findings are discussed in light of the 2010 National Action Plan for Health Literacy...
- Low health literacy, limited English proficiency, and health status in Asians, Latinos, and other racial/ethnic groups in CaliforniaTetine Sentell
Office of Public Health Studies, John A Burns School of Medicine, University of Hawai i, 1960 East West Road, BIOMED, D 104, Honolulu, HI 96822, USA
J Health Commun 17:82-99. 2012..Limited English proficiency may carry greater health risk than low health literacy, though important racial/ethnic variations exist...
- Implications for reform: survey of California adults suggests low health literacy predicts likelihood of being uninsuredTetine Sentell
John A Burns School of Medicine, University of Hawaii, Honolulu, USA
Health Aff (Millwood) 31:1039-48. 2012....
- Low health literacy and poor health status in Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders in Hawai'iTetine Sentell
Office of Public Health Studies, University of Hawai i at Manoa, Honolulu, Hawai i 96822, USA
J Health Commun 16:279-94. 2011..The design and relevance of health literacy interventions, as well as the pathways that link health literacy to health status, may vary by race/ethnicity, culture, and health outcomes...
- Factors associated with poor glycemic control or wide glycemic variability among diabetes patients in Hawaii, 2006-2009Deborah Taira Juarez
College of Pharmacy, University of Hawaii, 677 Ala Moana Blvd, Ste 1025, Honolulu, HI 96813, USA
Prev Chronic Dis 9:120065. 2012..The objective of this study was to identify factors associated with sustained poor glycemic control, some glycemic variability, and wide glycemic variability among diabetes patients over 3 years...