Genomes and Genes
S B Selleck
Affiliation: University of Arizona
- Proteoglycans and pattern formation: sugar biochemistry meets developmental geneticsS B Selleck
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ 85721, USA
Trends Genet 16:206-12. 2000..In this review, these biological findings are placed in the context of proteoglycan biochemistry and molecular function...
- dally, a Drosophila member of the glypican family of integral membrane proteoglycans, affects cell cycle progression and morphogenesis via a Cyclin A-mediated processHiroshi Nakato
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, and the Arizona Cancer Center, Salmon Building, Rm 0975, 1515 N Campbell Avenue, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ 85724, USA
J Cell Sci 115:123-30. 2002....
- Genetic dissection of proteoglycan function in Drosophila and C. elegansS B Selleck
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, The University of Arizona and the Arizona Cancer Center, 1515 N Campbell Ave, Tucson, AZ 85724 0524, USA
Semin Cell Dev Biol 12:127-34. 2001..Drosophila and C. elegans therefore provide powerful model systems for exploring the varied functions proteoglycans and their glycosaminoglycan modifications...
- dally, a Drosophila glypican, controls cellular responses to the TGF-beta-related morphogen, DppS M Jackson
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, University of Arizona, Tucson 85721, USA
Development 124:4113-20. 1997..These findings support a role for members of the glypican family in controlling TGF-beta/BMP activity in vivo by affecting signaling at the cell surface...
- Structural analysis of glycosaminoglycans in animals bearing mutations in sugarless, sulfateless, and tout-velu. Drosophila homologues of vertebrate genes encoding glycosaminoglycan biosynthetic enzymesH Toyoda
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona 85721, USA
J Biol Chem 275:21856-61. 2000..These findings show that sugarless, sulfateless, and tout-velu affect glycosaminoglycan biosynthesis and demonstrate the utility of Drosophila as a model organism for studying the function and biosynthesis of glycosaminoglycans in vivo...
- Structural analysis of glycosaminoglycans in Drosophila and Caenorhabditis elegans and demonstration that tout-velu, a Drosophila gene related to EXT tumor suppressors, affects heparan sulfate in vivoH Toyoda
Department of Molecular Biology, University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona 85721, USA
J Biol Chem 275:2269-75. 2000..Analysis of total glycosaminoglycans from tout-velu mutant larvae show marked reductions in heparan sulfate but not chondroitin sulfate, consistent with its proposed function as a heparan sulfate co-polymerase...
- The division abnormally delayed (dally) gene: a putative integral membrane proteoglycan required for cell division patterning during postembryonic development of the nervous system in DrosophilaH Nakato
ARL Division of Neurobiology, University of Arizona, Tucson 85721, USA
Development 121:3687-702. 1995..The cell division defects found in dally mutants implicate the Glypican group of integral membrane proteoglycans in the control of cell division during development...
- The heparan sulfate proteoglycans Dally-like and Syndecan have distinct functions in axon guidance and visual-system assembly in DrosophilaJoel M Rawson
Department of Pediatrics, Developmental Biology Center, University of Minnesota, 321 Church St SE, Minneapolis, Minnesota 55455, USA
Curr Biol 15:833-8. 2005..Together, these findings suggest that in some contexts HS chains provide the biologically critical component, whereas in others the structure of the protein core is also essential...
- Spatial regulation of Wingless morphogen distribution and signaling by Dally-like proteinCatherine A Kirkpatrick
The Developmental Biology Center, Department of Pediatrics, Department of Genetics, Cell Biology, and Development, 6 160 Jackson Hall, 321 Church Street SE, The University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN 55455, USA
Dev Cell 7:513-23. 2004..These findings suggest that modification of an HSPG by a secreted hydrolase can control morphogen levels in the matrix...
- The function of a Drosophila glypican does not depend entirely on heparan sulfate modificationCatherine A Kirkpatrick
The Developmental Biology Center, Department of Pediatrics, 6 160 Jackson Hall, 321 Church Street SE, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN 55455, USA
Dev Biol 300:570-82. 2006..These data reveal that heparan sulfate modification of Dally is not required for all in vivo activities and that significant functional capacity resides in the protein core...
- Drosophila neuromuscular synapse assembly and function require the TGF-beta type I receptor saxophone and the transcription factor MadJoel M Rawson
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, ARL Division of Neurobiology, and the Arizona Cancer Center, The University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona 85724, USA
J Neurobiol 55:134-50. 2003....
- Functional abnormalities of heparan sulfate in mucopolysaccharidosis-I are associated with defective biologic activity of FGF-2 on human multipotent progenitor cellsChendong Pan
Associate Professor of Medicine, University of Minnesota Medical School, Hematology Oncology Section 111E, VA Medical Center, One Veterans Dr, Minneapolis, MN 55417
Blood 106:1956-64. 2005..Similar mechanisms may operate in the pathogenesis of other diseases where structurally abnormal GAGs accumulate...
- A unique role for 6-O sulfation modification in zebrafish vascular developmentEleanor Chen
Arnold and Mabel Beckman Center for Transposon Research, Department of Genetics, Cell Biology and Development, University of Minnesota, 6 160 Jackson Hall, Minneapolis, MN 55455, USA
Dev Biol 284:364-76. 2005..Our analysis of two zebrafish HS6ST genes suggests that a wide range of biological processes may be regulated by an array of sulfation-modifying enzymes in the vertebrate genome...
- Shedding light on the distinct functions of proteoglycansScott B Selleck
The Developmental Biology Center, and Department of Pediatrics and Genetics, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN 55455, USA
Sci STKE 2006:pe17. 2006..Recent work has demonstrated that glypican-1 and syndecan-1 expressed by tumor cells have specific roles in FGF2 signaling, affecting their responses to this mitogenic stimulus...
- Order out of chaos: assembly of ligand binding sites in heparan sulfateJeffrey D Esko
Department of Cellular and Molecular Medicine, Glycobiology Research and Training Center, University of California at San Diego, La Jolla, California, 92093 0687, USA
Annu Rev Biochem 71:435-71. 2002..This review covers recent developments in the field and provides a resource for investigators interested in the incredible diversity and specificity of this process...