K E Sears
Affiliation: University of Chicago
- Development of bat flight: morphologic and molecular evolution of bat wing digitsKaren E Sears
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Department of Pediatrics, Section of Developmental Biology, University of Colorado at Denver and Health Sciences Center, 12800 East 19th Avenue, Aurora, CO 80045, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:6581-6. 2006..Together, our results suggest that an up-regulation of the Bmp pathway is one of the major factors in the developmental elongation of bat forelimb digits, and it is potentially a key mechanism in their evolutionary elongation as well...
- Constraints on the morphological evolution of marsupial shoulder girdlesKaren E Sears
Committee on Evolutionary Biology, University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois 60637, USA
Evolution 58:2353-70. 2004....
- Role of development in the evolution of the scapula of the giant sthenurine kangaroos (Macropodidae: Sthenurinae)Karen E Sears
Division of Developmental Biology, Department of Pediatrics, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Aurora, Colorado 80045, USA
J Morphol 265:226-36. 2005..e., sthenurine evolutionary history) suggests that pedomorphic shifts in morphology, most likely due to neotenic processes, occurred within the development of the scapula of giant sthenurines...
- Molecular determinants of bat wing developmentK E Sears
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Pediatrics Department, University of Colorado at Denver, Denver, USA
Cells Tissues Organs 187:6-12. 2008..Thus, bats can be added to the growing list of groups in which expression changes in key developmental genes have been linked to the evolution of morphological innovations (e.g. early bilaterians, cetaceans, insects)...
- The evolutionary and developmental basis of parallel reduction in mammalian zeugopod elementsKaren E Sears
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Section of Developmental Biology, Department of Pediatrics, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Aurora, Colorado 80045, USA
Am Nat 169:105-17. 2007..However, our findings also suggest that the developmental mechanisms behind the parallel evolution of other, more taxon-specific characteristics of limb reduction (i.e., element fusion) are not conserved...
- The correlated evolution of Runx2 tandem repeats, transcriptional activity, and facial length in carnivoraK E Sears
Pediatrics Department, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, University of Colorado at Denver and Health Sciences Center, 12800 East, 19th Avenue, Aurora, CO 80045, USA
Evol Dev 9:555-65. 2007....