David A Scott
Affiliation: University of Louisville
- Neutrophils in periodontal inflammationDavid A Scott
Center for Oral Health and Systemic Disease, University of Louisville, Louisville, KY, USA
Front Oral Biol 15:56-83. 2012..This review will cover the innate and inflammatory functions of neutrophils, and describe the importance and utility of neutrophils to the host response and the integrity of the periodontium in health and disease...
- The influence of nicotine on granulocytic differentiation - inhibition of the oxidative burst and bacterial killing and increased matrix metalloproteinase-9 releaseMinqi Xu
Department of Oral Biology, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Canada
BMC Cell Biol 9:19. 2008..Key neutrophil effector functions (oxidative burst, bacterial killing, matrix metalloproteinase release) were also examined...
- The influence of vitamin C on systemic markers of endothelial and inflammatory cell activation in smokers and non-smokersD A Scott
Periodontics, Endodontics and Dental Hygiene, School of Dentistry, University of Louisville, 501 South Preston, Louisville, KY 40202, USA
Inflamm Res 54:138-44. 2005....
- Tobacco use increases susceptibility to bacterial infectionJuhi Bagaitkar
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, University of Louisville, Louisville, KY, USA
Tob Induc Dis 4:12. 2008..Further epidemiological, clinical and mechanistic research into this important area is warranted...
- Exploitation of the nicotinic anti-inflammatory pathway for the treatment of epithelial inflammatory diseasesDavid A Scott
Oral Health and Systemic Disease Research Group, Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, University of Louisville School of Dentistry, 501 South Preston Street, Louisville, KY 40292, United States
World J Gastroenterol 12:7451-9. 2006....
- Diabetes-related molecular signatures in infrared spectra of human salivaDavid A Scott
Oral Health and Systemic Disease, University of Louisville, Louisville, S Preston St, Louisville, KY, 40292, USA
Diabetol Metab Syndr 2:48. 2010..There is an ongoing need for improvements in non-invasive, point-of-care tools for the diagnosis and prognosis of diabetes mellitus. Ideally, such technologies would allow for community screening...
- Tobacco smoke augments Porphyromonas gingivalis-Streptococcus gordonii biofilm formationJuhi Bagaitkar
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, University of Louisville, Louisville, Kentucky, United States of America
PLoS ONE 6:e27386. 2011..gingivalis biofilms of limited pro-inflammatory potential may explain the increased persistence of this pathogen in smokers. These findings may also be relevant to other biofilm-induced infectious diseases and conditions...
- Tobacco upregulates P. gingivalis fimbrial proteins which induce TLR2 hyposensitivityJuhi Bagaitkar
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, School of Medicine, University of Louisville, Louisville, Kentucky, United States of America
PLoS ONE 5:e9323. 2010..gingivalis...
- Tobacco-induced alterations to Porphyromonas gingivalis-host interactionsJuhi Bagaitkar
Microbiology and Immunology, University of Louisville, Louisville, KY 40292, USA
Environ Microbiol 11:1242-53. 2009..gingivalis adapts by altering gene expression and outer membrane proteins. These changes may explain, in part, the altered virulence and host-pathogen interactions that have been documented in vivo in smokers with periodontal disease...
- Cotinine-induced convergence of the cholinergic and PI3 kinase-dependent anti-inflammatory pathways in innate immune cellsKunal Rehani
Oral Health and Systemic Disease Research Group, University of Louisville School of Dentistry, 501 S Preston Street, Louisville, KY 40292, USA
Biochim Biophys Acta 1783:375-82. 2008....
- Inhibition of GSK3 Abolishes Bacterial-Induced Periodontal Bone Loss in MiceKarina Adamowicz
Center for Oral Health and Systemic Disease, University of Louisville, Louisville, Kentucky, United States of America Department of Microbiology, Faculty of Biochemistry, Biophysics and Biotechnology, Jagiellonian University, Krakow, Poland
Mol Med 18:1190-6. 2012..These findings also may have relevance to other chronic inflammatory diseases and the systemic sequelae associated with periodontal infections...
- Effects of smoking and gingival inflammation on salivary antioxidant capacityNurcan Buduneli
Department of Periodontology, School of Dentistry, Ege University, Izmir, Turkey
J Clin Periodontol 33:159-64. 2006..This study evaluated possible effects of smoking and gingival inflammation on salivary antioxidants in gingivitis patients...
- Progression of periodontal disease in a maintenance population of smokers and non-smokers: a 3-year longitudinal studySean Fisher
Department of Dental Diagnostics and Surgical Sciences, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, MB, Canada
J Periodontol 79:461-8. 2008..Therefore, we set out to assess disease progression longitudinally in smoking and non-smoking subjects with chronic periodontitis undergoing periodontal maintenance therapy every 3 to 4 months...
- Homocysteine and C-reactive protein are not markers of cognitive impairment in patients with major cardiovascular diseaseBrendan Silbert
Centre for Anaesthesia and Cognitive Function, Department of Anaesthesia, St Vincent s Health, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Dement Geriatr Cogn Disord 25:309-16. 2008..Raised concentrations of plasma homocysteine and C-reactive protein (CRP) are associated with vascular disease and have also been implicated as independent risk factors for cognitive impairment in population studies...
- Mechanisms of action of environmental factors--tobacco smokingRichard M Palmer
King s College London, Guy s Hospital Campus, London Bridge, London SE1 9RT, UK
J Clin Periodontol 32:180-95. 2005..To review the potential biological mechanisms underlying the effects of tobacco smoking on periodontitis...
- Epidural anesthesia for coronary artery bypass surgery compared with general anesthesia alone does not reduce biochemical markers of myocardial damageMichael J Barrington
Department of Anaesthesia, St Vincent s Hospital, Melbourne, PO Box 2900, Fitzroy, Victoria 3065, Australia
Anesth Analg 100:921-8. 2005..We conclude that HTEA for CABG surgery had no effect on troponin release but improved postoperative analgesia and was associated with a reduced time to extubation...
- Are nicotine replacement strategies to facilitate smoking cessation safe?Chris Lavelle
Faculty of Dentistry, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
J Can Dent Assoc 69:592-7. 2003..Furthermore, nicotine replacement is usually delivered over the short term (a matter of weeks). Therefore, nicotine replacement is recognized as a relatively safe and effective aid to smoking cessation...
- Infrared spectroscopy as a novel diagnostic tool for periodontitisDavid Scott; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- Tobacco-induced alterations to P. gingivalis-host interactionsDavid A Scott; Fiscal Year: 2010..This study will provide some of the first information illustrating how P. gingivalis responds at the molecular level to cigarette smoke and may provide unique insights into disease pathogenesis in smokers. ..