Affiliation: University of California
- Effects of vitamin D supplementation in atorvastatin-treated patients: a new drug interaction with an unexpected consequenceJ B Schwartz
Department of Research, The Jewish Home of San Francisco, San Francisco, California, USA
Clin Pharmacol Ther 85:198-203. 2009..005) were lower during vitamin D supplementation. The conclusion of the study is that vitamin D supplementation lowers atorvastatin and active metabolite concentrations yet has synergistic effects on cholesterol concentrations...
- Effects of testosterone on the Q-T interval in older men and older women with chronic heart failureJ B Schwartz
Department of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94112, USA
Int J Androl 34:e415-21. 2011..Mean decreases are small and unlikely to affect risks of arrhythmic events in patients receiving Q-T prolonging medications...
- Failure of pharmacogenetic-based dosing algorithms to identify older patients requiring low daily doses of warfarinJanice B Schwartz
Jewish Home, San Francisco, CA, USA
J Am Med Dir Assoc 12:633-8. 2011..We evaluated performance of pharmacogenetic-based warfarin dosing estimation algorithms in old and very old patients...
- Population analyses of atorvastatin clearance in patients living in the community and in nursing homesJ B Schwartz
Division of Clinical Pharmacology, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, California, USA
Clin Pharmacol Ther 86:497-502. 2009....
- The influence of sex on pharmacokineticsJanice B Schwartz
Institute on Aging and Jewish Home of San Francisco, and University of California, San Francisco, California 94112, USA
Clin Pharmacokinet 42:107-21. 2003..The relative role of sex on pharmacokinetics as compared to genetics, age, disease, social habits and their potential interactions in the clinical setting is not yet fully known but should be routinely considered and further studied...
- Gender-specific implications for cardiovascular medication use in the elderly optimizing therapy for older womenJanice B Schwartz
Divisions of Clinical Pharmacology and Cardiology, University of California, San Francisco and Jewish Home of San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94112, USA
Cardiol Rev 11:275-98. 2003..Optimal care for the older woman with cardiovascular disease will also require investigation of cardiovascular medications in older women and of therapies for cardiovascular diseases that are more common in women than men...
- What does the Medicare prescription drug legislation mean for the American cardiologist?Janice B Schwartz
Jewish Home of San Francisco and the Division of Clinical Pharmacology, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94112, USA
Am J Geriatr Cardiol 14:317-24. 2005..This article details the background, benefits, and expected impact of all of these aspects of the new Medicare Part D prescription drug benefit...
- Erythromycin breath test results in elderly, very elderly, and frail elderly personsJanice B Schwartz
Jewish Home of San Francisco and Division of Clinical Pharmacology, Department of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, California, USA
Clin Pharmacol Ther 79:440-8. 2006..Our objective was to determine the effects of very old age and frailty on erythromycin breath test (ERBT) results in patients and, secondarily, to determine the effects of sex and comedications on ERBT results...
- Sex differences in major bleeding with glycoprotein IIb/IIIa inhibitors: results from the CRUSADE (Can Rapid risk stratification of Unstable angina patients Suppress ADverse outcomes with Early implementation of the ACC/AHA guidelines) initiativeKaren P Alexander
Duke Clinical Research Institute, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27715, USA
Circulation 114:1380-7. 2006..The contribution of dosing to the observed sex-related differences in bleeding is unknown...
- Population analyses of amlodipine in patients living in the community and patients living in nursing homesDongwoo Kang
Department of Medicine, Division of Clinical Pharmacology, University of California, San Francisco, Calif, USA
Clin Pharmacol Ther 79:114-24. 2006..Our objective was to determine the effects of age, sex, and morbidity on the apparent oral clearance (CL/F) of amlodipine...
- Sample size computations for PK/PD population modelsDongwoo Kang
Department of Biopharmaceutical Sciences, University of California at San Francisco, 521 Parnassus Avenue, Box 0446, San Francisco, CA 94143 0446, USA
J Pharmacokinet Pharmacodyn 32:685-701. 2005..The method is general and can accommodate any type of hierarchical models. Simulation results suggest that intensive sampling allows the reduction of the number of patients enrolled in a clinical study...
- A sample size computation method for non-linear mixed effects models with applications to pharmacokinetics modelsDongwoo Kang
Department of Biopharmaceutical Sciences, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94132 0446, USA
Stat Med 23:2551-66. 2004..The proposed method greatly reduces computing times compared with simulation-based methods of estimating sample sizes for population PK studies...
- Sudden cardiac death among women in the United StatesJanice B Schwartz
Circulation 108:e153; author reply e153. 2003
- Population analyses of sustained-release verapamil in patients: effects of sex, race, and smokingDongwoo Kang
Division of Clinical Pharmacology, Department of Biopharmaceutical Sciences, University of California at San Francisco, San Francisco, USA
Clin Pharmacol Ther 73:31-40. 2003..Our objective was to determine the effects of age, sex, and sustained-release formulation on apparent oral clearance of sustained-release racemic verapamil in patient populations...
- Pharmacogenetics: has it reached the clinic?Janice B Schwartz
Long Term Care Research Center, Institute on Aging Jewish Home, 302 Silver Ave, San Francisco, CA 94112, USA
J Gend Specif Med 5:13-8. 2002..g., 6-mercaptopurine and azathioprine) because clinically life-threatening complications or decreased efficacy is strongly related to the genetically determined activity of this enzyme...
- OLDER PERSONS AND DRUGS--RACE, GENDER, AND AGE EFFECTSJANICE SCHWARTZ; Fiscal Year: 2003..Further studies are planned to compare oral pharmacokinetics of verapamil and/ nifedipine in similar subjects on a standardized diet. ..
- Older Persons & Drugs: race, gender, and age effectsJANICE SCHWARTZ; Fiscal Year: 2009..The potential impact of these findings on the care of the growing number of very old patients, especially understudied women and minority groups, is great. ..