Cynthia Mills Schumann
Affiliation: University of California
- Amygdala enlargement in toddlers with autism related to severity of social and communication impairmentsCynthia Mills Schumann
Department of Neurosciences, Autism Center of Excellence, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Biol Psychiatry 66:942-9. 2009....
- Stereological analysis of amygdala neuron number in autismCynthia Mills Schumann
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences and The M.I.N.D. Institute, University of California, Davis, Sacramento, California 95817, USA
J Neurosci 26:7674-9. 2006..It will be important to determine in future studies whether neuron loss in the amygdala is a consistent characteristic of autism and whether cell loss occurs in other brain regions as well...
- Neuroanatomy of autismDavid G Amaral
The M I N D Institute, Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, University of California, Davis, 2825 50th Street, Sacramento, CA 95817, USA
Trends Neurosci 31:137-45. 2008..Defined phenotypes in larger samples of children and well-characterized brain tissue will be necessary for clarification of the neuroanatomy of autism...
- A comprehensive volumetric analysis of the cerebellum in children and adolescents with autism spectrum disorderJulia A Scott
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, University of California, Davis, M I N D Institute, Sacramento, California, USA
Autism Res 2:246-57. 2009..These findings are discussed in relation to the pathology of autism and to the fairly common alterations of vermal morphology in various neurodevelopmental disorders...
- Bridging the gap between MRI and postmortem research in autismCynthia Mills Schumann
University of California, Davis School of Medicine, Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, The MIND Institute, Sacramento, CA 95817, USA
Brain Res 1380:175-86. 2011..We then describe how they relate and what they can learn from each other. Only by integrating these approaches will we be able to fully explain the neuropathology of autism...
- Stereological estimation of the number of neurons in the human amygdaloid complexCynthia Mills Schumann
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Medical Investigation of Neurodevelopmental Disorders Institute, University of California, Davis, Sacramento, California 95817, USA
J Comp Neurol 491:320-9. 2005..To facilitate these types of analyses, this paper provides a detailed anatomical description of the methods used to define subdivisions of the human amygdaloid complex...
- Hippocampal size positively correlates with verbal IQ in male childrenCynthia Mills Schumann
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences and M I N D Institute, University of California, Davis, CA 95817, USA
Hippocampus 17:486-93. 2007..Given the substantial evidence for environmentally induced changes in hippocampal structure, an unresolved issue is whether this relationship reflects genetically determined individual variation or learning induced plasticity...