Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: University of California
- Microbial ferric iron reductasesImke Schröder
Department of Microbiology, Immunology and Molecular Genetics, University of California Los Angeles, 1602 Molecular Sciences Bldg, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1489, USA
FEMS Microbiol Rev 27:427-47. 2003..Ferric reductases do not form a single family, but appear to be distinct enzymes suggesting that several independent strategies for iron reduction may have evolved...
- A novel archaeal alanine dehydrogenase homologous to ornithine cyclodeaminase and mu-crystallinImke Schröder
Department of Microbiology, Immunology and Molecular Genetics, University of California, Los Angeles, California, USA
J Bacteriol 186:7680-9. 2004..fulgidus AlaDH did not exhibit any ornithine cyclodeaminase activity. The recombinant human mu-crystallin was assayed for AlaDH activity, but no activity was detected. The novel A. fulgidus gene encoding AlaDH, AF1665, is designated ala...
- Characterization of a key trifunctional enzyme for aromatic amino acid biosynthesis in Archaeoglobus fulgidusSierin Lim
Biomedical Engineering Interdepartmental Program, 5121 Engineering V, University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Extremophiles 13:191-8. 2009..Such fusions of contiguous activities in a biosynthetic pathway may constitute a primitive strategy for the efficient processing of labile metabolites...
- Crystal structures of a tetrahedral open pore ferritin from the hyperthermophilic archaeon Archaeoglobus fulgidusEric Johnson
Department of Microbiology, Immunology, and Molecular Genetics, University of California, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California 90095, USA
Structure 13:637-48. 2005..The difference in assembly opens four large (approximately 45 A) pores in the AfFtn shell. Two nonconservative amino acid substitutions may be critical for stabilizing the tetrahedral form...
- Reconstruction of the archaeal isoprenoid ether lipid biosynthesis pathway in Escherichia coli through digeranylgeranylglyceryl phosphateDenton Lai
Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering Department, University of California, Box 951592, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1592, USA
Metab Eng 11:184-91. 2009....
- Room-temperature synthesis of L-alanine using the alanine dehydrogenase of the hyperthermophilic archaeon Archaeoglobus fulgidusAlexander J H Vadas
Departments of Chemical Engineering and Microbiology and Molecular Genetics, University of California, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California 90095, USA
Biotechnol Prog 18:909-11. 2002..The total number of enzyme turnovers was 5.1 million. This work demonstrates the potential utility of novel hyperthermostable enzymes that can be both very active and highly stable at moderate temperature...
- A thermostable shikimate 5-dehydrogenase from the archaeon Archaeoglobus fulgidusSierin Lim
Biomedical Engineering Interdepartmental Program, 7523 Boelter Hall, University of California, 1602 Molecular Sciences Bldg, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1489, USA
FEMS Microbiol Lett 238:101-6. 2004..Addition of 1 M NaCl or KCl stabilized the enzyme's half-life to approximately 70 h at 87 degrees C and approximately 50 days at 60 degrees C. This work presents the first kinetic analysis of an archaeal SKDH...
- Energy metabolism and virulence of Bordetella speciesImke Schroeder; Fiscal Year: 2007..The relative contributions of cytochrome oxidase to the infectious cycle will be analyzed in Aim 3 using high-resolution animal models of respiratory tract infection. ..
- Role of cytochrome oxidases in Bordetella pathogenesisImke Schroeder; Fiscal Year: 2007..Jeffrey F. Miller as co-investigator. Although this study is exploratory in nature Dr. Miller brings extensive expertise on Bordetella genetics and pathogen-animal host interaction to the project. ..