G B Schneider
Affiliation: University of Iowa
- Outcomes mapping: a method for dental schools to coordinate learning and assessment based on desired characteristics of a graduateGalen B Schneider
Dr Schneider is Executive Associate Dean, The University of Iowa College of Dentistry and Dental Clinics Prof Cunningham Ford is Associate Professor, Department of Preventive and Community Dentistry, The University of Iowa College of Dentistry and Dental Clinics Dr Johnsen is Dean, The University of Iowa College of Dentistry and Dental Clinics Ms Eckert is Academic Clinical Program Management Specialist, The University of Iowa College of Dentistry and Dental Clinics and Mr Mulder is Senior Systems Administrator, The University of Iowa College of Dentistry and Dental Clinics
J Dent Educ 78:1268-78. 2014..Mapping the curriculum and creating its related database allow the faculty and administration to more systematically coordinate learning and assessment than was possible with a course-based approach. ..
- The effect of hydrogel charge density on cell attachmentGalen B Schneider
Dows Institute for Dental Research, University of Iowa College of Dentistry, N402, Iowa City, IA 52242 1010, USA
Biomaterials 25:3023-8. 2004..However, fibroblasts demonstrated less spreading as compared to osteoblasts. In conclusion, differences in hydrophilic properties differentially affect osteoblast and fibroblast cell attachment and spreading...
- Implant surface roughness affects osteoblast gene expressionG B Schneider
N402, Dows Institute for Dental Research and the Department of Prosthodontics, University of Iowa College of Dentistry, Iowa City 52242, USA
J Dent Res 82:372-6. 2003..These results suggest that osteoblast gene expression and mineralization are affected by roughened implant surface microtopographies during osseointegration of dental implants...
- Elevated focal adhesion kinase expression facilitates oral tumor cell invasionGalen B Schneider
Department of Prosthodontics and Dows Institute for Dental Research, College of Dentistry, University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa 52242, USA
Cancer 95:2508-15. 2002..The purpose of the current study was to determine whether elevated FAK expression in oral malignancies was associated with increased invasiveness and oral carcinoma...
- Integrin-associated tyrosine kinase FAK affects Cbfa1 expressionGalen B Schneider
Department of Prosthodontics, University of Iowa College of Dentistry, The University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa 52242 1001, USA
J Orthop Res 29:1443-7. 2011..02), and an increase in Cbfa1 protein expression. These results suggest that the integrin-associated tyrosine kinase FAK contributes to the regulation of the osteoblast differentiation in part through the regulation of Cbfa1 expression...
- Osteoblast integrin adhesion and signaling regulate mineralizationG B Schneider
Dows Institute for Dental Research and the Department of Prosthodontics, University of Iowa College of Dentistry, Iowa City 52242, USA
J Dent Res 80:1540-4. 2001..These results suggest that integrin adhesion and signaling events may contribute to the ability of this cell line to mediate the initiation of the mineralization phenotype biologically...
- Use of a single implant to retain a mandibular complete overdenture on the compromised atrophic alveolar ridge: a case reportGalen B Schneider
Department of Prosthodontics, The University of Iowa College of Dentistry, Iowa City, Iowa, USA
Spec Care Dentist 31:138-42. 2011..This case report, along with other evidence, demonstrates that a mandibular single implant-retained overdenture is a viable treatment option for a specific group of patients...
- Comparison of differentiation markers between normal and two squamous cell carcinoma cell lines in cultureA Gasparoni
Dows Institute for Dental Research, College of Dentistry, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
Arch Oral Biol 49:653-64. 2004..The extent of the differences varies according to the stage of terminal differentiation demonstrated by the normal cell cultures...
- Effect of glucocorticoid-induced osteoporotic-like conditions on osteoblast cell attachment to implant surface microtopographiesPeter Cho
College of Dentistry, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 522420 1010, USA
Implant Dent 15:377-85. 2006....
- Differentiation of preosteoblasts is affected by implant surface microtopographiesGalen B Schneider
Dows Institute for Dental Research and the Department of Prosthodontics, N402, University of Iowa College of Dentistry, Iowa City, Iowa 52242
J Biomed Mater Res A 69:462-8. 2004..These results suggest that preosteoblast cell differentiation is affected by implant surface microtopographies during osseointegration of dental implants...
- Osteoblast differentiation is enhanced in rotary cell culture simulated microgravity environmentsY Joon Ko
Department of Prosthodontics, College of Dentistry, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA, USA
J Prosthodont 16:431-8. 2007..The objective of this study was to test the hypothesis that 3D rotary cell culture (RCC) environments created by simulated microgravity would enhance osteogenic gene expression using integrin mediated pathways...
- Microinjection of protein tyrosine phosphatases into fibroblasts disrupts focal adhesions and stress fibersG B Schneider
Department of Prosthodontics, School of Dentistry, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill 27599, USA
Cell Adhes Commun 5:207-19. 1998..The critical tyrosine phosphorylation event is upstream of focal adhesions, a likely target being in the Rho pathway that regulates the formation of stress fibers and focal adhesions...
- Examination of the bone-implant interface in experimentally induced osteoporotic bonePeter Cho
Dows Institute for Dental Research, College of Dentistry, The University of Iowa, Iowa City, 52242, USA
Implant Dent 13:79-87. 2004..Further research to understand implant use in the complex bone environment under OP-like conditions is encouraged...
- Functional behaviour of bone around dental implantsClark M Stanford
Dows Institute for Dental Research, College of Dentistry, University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa, USA
Gerodontology 21:71-7. 2004....
- Chitosan supports the initial attachment and spreading of osteoblasts preferentially over fibroblastsAli Fakhry
Department of Periodontics, College of Dentistry, University of Iowa, DSB 450, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
Biomaterials 25:2075-9. 2004..These results suggest that CH and PR support the initial attachment and spreading of osteoblasts preferentially over fibroblasts, and that manipulation of the biopolymer can alter the level of attachment and spreading...
- Effects of implant microtopography on osteoblast cell attachmentJohn C Keller
Dows Institute for Dental Research, College of Dentistry, N407 Dental Science Building, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52242 1010, USA
Implant Dent 12:175-81. 2003..The overall aim of this project was to study osteoblast cell attachment on titanium surfaces with varying surface roughness...
- Osteoporosis-like bone conditions affect osseointegration of implantsJohn C Keller
Dows Institute for Dental Research, College of Dentistry, University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa 52242 1010, USA
Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants 19:687-94. 2004..In the present study, the osseointegration of implants in rabbits under osteoporosis-like (OP-like) conditions simulating several clinically relevant conditions is reported...
- Three-dimensional culture environments enhance osteoblast differentiationJessica Boehrs
University of Iowa College of Dentistry, Iowa City, IA 52242 1001, USA
J Prosthodont 17:517-21. 2008..Thus, as described here, we hypothesize that aggregate formation and mineralization would occur with fewer than 10 x 10(6) cells as previously described...
- Analysis of the attachment and differentiation of three-dimensional rotary wall vessel cultured human preosteoblasts on dental implant surfacesY Joon Ko
Department of Prosthodontics, University of Iowa College of Dentistry, Iowa City, IA 52242 1001, USA
Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants 25:722-8. 2010..The purpose of this study was to determine whether osseous tissues engineered in three-dimensional (3D) environments preserved their mineralizing capacity and retained biologic characteristics when cultured on dental implant surfaces...
- Rotary culture enhances pre-osteoblast aggregation and mineralizationS R Facer
Department of Endodontics, University of Iowa, College of Dentistry, IA 52242, USA
J Dent Res 84:542-7. 2005..3D cultures mineralized in 1 wk as compared with the 2D cultures, which took 4 wks, a decrease in time of nearly 75%. In conclusion, our studies demonstrated that 3D environments enhanced osteoblast cell aggregation and mineralization...
- Spatial control over cell attachment by partial solvent entrapment of poly lysine in microfluidic channelsNicki K Baman
Department of Biomedical Engineering, College of Engineering, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA, USA
Int J Nanomedicine 1:213-7. 2006..The PEG component of the PLA-PEG copolymer prevents cells from binding to the nonpatterned regions...
- Deciduous canine and permanent lateral incisor differential root resorptionK R Davies
The University of Iowa, Iowa City 52242, USA
Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 120:339-47. 2001..This finding may partially explain the differential root resorption during permanent tooth eruption...
- Molecular regulation of tumor cell vasculogenic mimicry by tyrosine phosphorylation: role of epithelial cell kinase (Eck/EphA2)A R Hess
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology and Holden Comprehensive Cancer Center, at the University of Iowa College of Medicine, Iowa City, IA 52242-1109, USA
Cancer Res 61:3250-5. 2001....
- Subcellular localization of beta-catenin in malignant cell lines and squamous cell carcinomas of the oral cavityAlberto Gasparoni
Dows Institute for Dental Research, College of Dentistry, University of Iowa, IA 52242, USA
J Oral Pathol Med 31:385-94. 2002....
- Tyrosine phosphorylation of maspin in normal mammary epithelia and breast cancer cellsValerie A Odero-Marah
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, The Roy J and Lucille A Carver College of Medicine, The University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 295:800-5. 2002..These novel observations suggest that maspin, which deviates from the classical serpin, may be an important signal transduction molecule in its phosphorylated form...
- Co-regulation of p16INK4A and migratory genes in culture conditions that lead to premature senescence in human keratinocytesBenjamin W Darbro
Interdisciplinary Program in Molecular Biology and Medical Scientist Training Program, University of Iowa, Iowa City, 52242, USA
J Invest Dermatol 125:499-509. 2005....
- Tissue engineering strategies for the future generation of dental implantsJanet Moradian-Oldak
Center for Craniofacial Molecular Biology, School of Dentistry, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California, USA
Periodontol 2000 41:157-76. 2006
- Effects of fluoride-modified titanium surfaces on osteoblast proliferation and gene expressionZakiah M Isa
Department of Prosthetic Dentistry, Faculty of Dentistry, University of Malaya, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants 21:203-11. 2006..The potential role of nanometer-level alterations on cell shape and subsequent differentiation was then compared...
- Effects of implant surface microtopography on osteoblast gene expressionChihiro Masaki
Department of Advanced Prosthodontics, Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, Hiroshima University, Hiroshima, Japan
Clin Oral Implants Res 16:650-6. 2005..The promotion of osteoblast attachment and differentiation has been evaluated on various implant surfaces. However, the effects of different implant surface properties on gene expression of key osteogenic factors are not fully understood...
- Biological significance of focal adhesion kinase in ovarian cancer: role in migration and invasionAnil K Sood
Department of Gynecologic Oncology, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, 1515 Holcombe Blvd, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Am J Pathol 165:1087-95. 2004..These data indicate that FAK is overexpressed in most invasive ovarian cancers and plays a functionally significant role in ovarian cancer migration and invasion. Thus, FAK may be an important therapeutic target in ovarian carcinoma...
- Focal adhesion kinase promotes the aggressive melanoma phenotypeAngela R Hess
Children s Memorial Research Center, Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University, Chicago, IL 60614 3394, USA
Cancer Res 65:9851-60. 2005..Collectively, these data suggest a new mechanism involved in promoting the aggressive melanoma phenotype through FAK-mediated signal transduction pathways, thus providing new insights into possible therapeutic intervention strategies...
- Mineralization: Integrins and Focal Adhesion KinaseGalen Schneider; Fiscal Year: 2003..This will allow for development of new therapeutic approaches that in turn could lead to novel treatments and tissue-engineered biological applications to increase the quality of life for many patients. ..
- Does FAK mediate implant microtopographyGalen Schneider; Fiscal Year: 2006..This would allow for a controlled, localized, site specific tissue engineering approach in association with Dental implant therapy. ..