Karen B Schmaling
Affiliation: University of North Carolina at Charlotte
- A longitudinal study of physical activity and body mass index among persons with unexplained chronic fatigueKaren B Schmaling
College of Health and Human Services, University of North Carolina, Charlotte, NC 28223, USA
J Psychosom Res 58:375-81. 2005..5 years to determine if physical activity (kcal expended), exercise capacity (VO(2)max), perceived exertion, and body mass index (BMI) changed over time and were associated with changes in CF-related clinical status...
- The content of behavior therapy for depression demonstrates few associations with treatment outcome among low-income, medically ill older adultsKaren B Schmaling
University of North Carolina at Charlotte, College of Health and Human Services, 9201 University City Blvd, Charlotte, NC 28223, USA
Behav Ther 39:360-5. 2008....
- Problem-solving treatment for depression among Mexican Americans in primary careKaren B Schmaling
College of Health and Human Services, University of North Carolina at Charlotte, Department of Psychology, Charlotte, NC 28223 0001, USA
J Health Care Poor Underserved 19:466-77. 2008..86+/-0.97 and 0.40+/-0.66 points for these groups, respectively, p<.05). More work is needed to enhance the engagement in treatments for depression, especially among Latinos in primary care...
- Ethics instruction increases graduate students' responsible conduct of research knowledge but not moral reasoningKaren B Schmaling
University of North Carolina at Charlotte, Charlotte, North Carolina 28223, USA
Account Res 16:268-83. 2009..Knowledge about RCR but not moral judgment increased significantly in some areas. The results are discussed in terms of implications for RCR instruction and of future research designed to improve RCR instruction...
- Change in airflow among patients with asthma discussing relationship problems with their partnersKaren B Schmaling
College of Health and Human Services, University of North Carolina at Charlotte, Charlotte, NC 28223, USA
J Health Psychol 14:715-20. 2009..The use of effort-independent measures of airflow and autonomic nervous system monitoring may inform future research regarding the physiological mechanisms through which mood and behavior affect airflow...
- Detection of depression among low-income Mexican Americans in primary careKaren B Schmaling
College of Health and Human Services, University of North Carolina, Charlotte, USA
J Health Care Poor Underserved 16:780-90. 2005..13); providers noted depression in 21% of patients with depressive disorders based on the systematic evaluation. More work is needed to enhance detection of depression in primary care, especially in minority populations...
- Stress and alcohol use among soldiers assessed at mobilization and demobilizationArthur W Blume
Department of Psychology, University of North Carolina, 9201 University City Blvd, Charlotte, NC 28223, USA
Mil Med 175:400-4. 2010..The results suggest that younger, nonactive duty male personnel experiencing stress may be a group at risk for increased drinking after deployment and for whom intervention may be helpful...
- Predictors of aversive alcohol consequences in a military sampleCasey A Gutierrez
Department of Psychology, University of Texas at El Paso, TX 79968 0553, USA
Mil Med 171:870-4. 2006..Identifying the predictors of alcohol consequences that occur upon demobilization may aid in determining which soldiers are at risk for such consequences before deployment and may help to maintain military readiness...
- An investigation of victimization and the clinical course of chronic fatigue syndromeSusan K Johnson
University of North Carolina at Charlotte, 9201 University City Blvd, Charlotte, NC 28223, USA
J Health Psychol 15:351-61. 2010..Victimization predicted worse outcomes, but not worsening outcomes over time...
- Descriptors of breathlessness in children with persistent asthmaAndrew Harver
Department of Public Health Sciences, University of North Carolina Charlotte, Charlotte, NC 28223, USA
Chest 139:832-8. 2011..The objective of this research was to determine whether pediatric patients similarly display consistency in the language used to describe "uncomfortable awareness of breathing."..
- Randomized trial of behavioral activation, cognitive therapy, and antidepressant medication in the acute treatment of adults with major depressionSona Dimidjian
Department of Psychology, University of Washington, USA
J Consult Clin Psychol 74:658-70. 2006..The implications of these findings for the evaluation of current treatment guidelines and dissemination are discussed...
- Prospective study of the prognosis of unexplained chronic fatigue in a clinic-based cohortKaren B Schmaling
Office of the Provost, University of Texas at El Paso, El Paso, TX 79968, USA
Psychosom Med 65:1047-54. 2003..To determine prospective changes in clinical status related to chronic fatigue over an 18-month period, and to test demographic and clinical predictors of outcome...
- Variables associated with intimate partner violence in a deploying military sampleCarol A Fonseca
University of Texas, El Paso, TX 79912, USA
Mil Med 171:627-31. 2006..The results of this study are discussed in terms of their implications for targeting efforts to reduce IPV among military personnel...
- Understanding and resolving adherence problemsDolores V Hernandez
University of Texas at El Paso, TX, USA
Clin Rev Allergy Immunol 27:65-73. 2004..Predictors of physician and patient nonadherence are reviewed, as modifiable predictors may be targets for interventions to enhance adherence. Finally, areas for future efforts are identified...
- Provider and patient adherence with asthma evaluation and treatmentKaren B Schmaling
University of Texas at El Paso, El Paso, Tex, USA
Adv Psychosom Med 24:98-114. 2003
- Predictors of change in binge drinking over a 3-month periodArthur W Blume
Dapartment of Psychology, University of Texas at El Paso, Room 224, El Paso, TX 79968, USA
Addict Behav 28:1007-12. 2003..Young adults with lower self-efficacy, and greater numbers of positive alcohol expectancies may be at risk for experiencing a worsening binge pattern over time...
- Single-photon emission computerized tomography and neurocognitive function in patients with chronic fatigue syndromeKaren B Schmaling
College of Health Sciences, University of Texas, El Paso, Texas 79902, USA
Psychosom Med 65:129-36. 2003....
- Relationship satisfaction moderates the association between catastrophic cognitions and asthma symptomsNicholas D Giardino
Dept of Rehabilitation Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98195, USA
J Asthma 39:749-56. 2002..These results are discussed in terms of potentially reflecting patients' perceptions of the fit between their coping needs and the support available in their intimate relationships...
- A prospective study of the relationship of mood and stress to pulmonary function among patients with asthmaKaren B Schmaling
University of Washington, Seattle, USA
J Asthma 39:501-10. 2002..These results confirmed previous reports of individual variability in the association of psychosocial variables with pulmonary function...
- Response styles among patients with minor depression and dysthymia in primary careKaren B Schmaling
College of Health Sciences, University of Texas at El Paso, 79902, USA
J Abnorm Psychol 111:350-6. 2002..Results are discussed in terms of their implications for this theory...