Jennifer N Sayles
Affiliation: University of California
- Experiences of social stigma and implications for healthcare among a diverse population of HIV positive adultsJennifer N Sayles
Division of General Internal Medicine, University of California, Los Angeles, CA, USA
J Urban Health 84:814-28. 2007..We discuss implications of HIV-related stigma for the mental and physical health of HIV-positive women and men and suggestions for possible interventions to address stigma in the healthcare setting...
- The inability to take medications openly at home: does it help explain gender disparities in HAART use?Jennifer N Sayles
Division of General Internal Medicine and Health Services Research, Department of Medicine, UCLA, Los Angeles, California, USA
J Womens Health (Larchmt) 15:173-81. 2006..We examined whether one reason for this disparity is that women are less likely to use HAART when they have difficulty taking HIV medications openly at home...
- Factors associated with self-efficacy for condom use and sexual negotiation among South african youthJennifer N Sayles
Division of General Internal Medicine and Health Services Research, Department of Medicine, University of California, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1736, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 43:226-33. 2006..To use logistic regression modeling to identify factors associated with high self-efficacy for sexual negotiation and condom use in a sample of South African youth...
- Development and psychometric assessment of a multidimensional measure of internalized HIV stigma in a sample of HIV-positive adultsJennifer N Sayles
Division of General Internal Medicine and Health Services Research, UCLA, 911 Broxton Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90024, USA
AIDS Behav 12:748-58. 2008..This measure should prove useful to investigators examining in the role of stigma in HIV treatment and health outcomes, and evaluating interventions designed to mitigate the impacts of stigma on PLHA...
- The association of stigma with self-reported access to medical care and antiretroviral therapy adherence in persons living with HIV/AIDSJennifer N Sayles
Division of General Internal Medicine and Health Services Research, David Geffen School of Medicine at University of California Los Angeles, 911 Broxton Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90024, USA
J Gen Intern Med 24:1101-8. 2009..The stigma of HIV-infection may profoundly affect the lives of persons living with HIV/AIDS (PLHA). However few studies have examined the association of HIV stigma with multiple components of HIV treatment and care...
- The effect of perceived stigma from a health care provider on access to care among a low-income HIV-positive populationJanni J Kinsler
Division of General Internal Medicine and Health Services Research, David Geffen School of Medicine at University of California, Los Angeles, California, USA
AIDS Patient Care STDS 21:584-92. 2007..Interventions are needed to reduce perceived stigma in the health care setting. Educational programs and modeling of nonstigmatizing behavior can teach health care providers to provide unbiased care...
- The impact of acculturation on utilization of HIV prevention services and access to care among an at-risk Hispanic populationJanni J Kinsler
Division of General Internal Medicine and Health Services Research, David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California, Los Angeles, USA
J Health Care Poor Underserved 20:996-1011. 2009..The purpose of this study was to evaluate the relationship of acculturation with HIV and hepatitis C testing, and access to care among Hispanics at risk for HIV...
- Future HIV vaccine acceptability among young adults in South AfricaJennifer N Sayles
UCLA Division of General Internal Medicine, 911Broxton Plaza, Los Angeles, CA 90024, USA
Health Educ Behav 37:193-210. 2010..Implications of these findings for developing HIV vaccine dissemination strategies and policy in South Africa are discussed...
- Stigma in the HIV/AIDS epidemic: a review of the literature and recommendations for the way forwardAnish P Mahajan
UCLA Program in Global Health, University of California, Los Angeles, California 90024, USA
AIDS 22:S67-79. 2008..Based on the literature, we conclude by offering a set of recommendations that may represent important next steps in a multifaceted response to stigma in the HIV/AIDS epidemic...
- The role of mental health in mediating the relationship between social support and optimal ART adherenceAlexis K Huynh
a Division of General Internal Medicine and Health Services Research, David Geffen School of Medicine at University of California, Los Angeles, CA, USA
AIDS Care 25:1179-84. 2013..Clearly, better understanding the relationships among social support, mental health, and ART adherence will be critical for development and implementation of future ART adherence interventions. ..
- Operationalizing treatment as prevention in Los Angeles County: antiretroviral therapy use and factors associated with unsuppressed viral load in the Ryan White system of careJennifer N Sayles
Division of HIV and STD Programs, Los Angeles County Department of Public Health, Los Angeles, CA, USA
AIDS Patient Care STDS 26:463-70. 2012....
- Identification of human trafficking victims in health care settingsSusie B Baldwin
Office of Health Assessment and Epidemiology, Los Angeles County Department of Public Health, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Health Hum Rights 13:E36-49. 2011..Despite their invisibility, some victims are known to have received medical care while under traffickers' control. Our project aimed to characterize trafficking victims' encounters in US health care settings...