Affiliation: University of Pittsburgh
- Memantine and functional communication in Alzheimer's disease: results of a 12-week, international, randomized clinical trialJudith Saxton
Alzheimer s Disease Research Center, Department of Neurology, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA 15213 2536, USA
J Alzheimers Dis 28:109-18. 2012..5; p = 0.022), compared with placebo-treated patients (n = 124). Memantine had a low incidence of adverse events. In patients with moderate AD, memantine treatment improved functional communication, as recognized by caregivers...
- Analyzing the impact of 23 mg/day donepezil on language dysfunction in moderate to severe Alzheimer's diseaseSteven H Ferris
Alzheimer Disease Center, Centre of Excellence on Brain Aging, New York University Langone Medical Center, 145 East 32nd Street, New York, NY 10016, USA
Alzheimers Res Ther 3:22. 2011....
- Computer assessment of mild cognitive impairmentJudith Saxton
Department of Neurology, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Postgrad Med 121:177-85. 2009..In contrast, the CAMCI was highly sensitive (86%) and specific (94%) for the identification of MCI in a population of community-dwelling nondemented elderly individuals...
- Functional and cognitive criteria produce different rates of mild cognitive impairment and conversion to dementiaJ Saxton
Department of Neurology, University of Pittsburgh, 3471 Fifth Avenue, Suite 811, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 80:737-43. 2009..To compare rates of mild cognitive impairment (MCI) and rates of progression to dementia using different MCI diagnostic systems...
- Development of a short form of the Severe Impairment BatteryJudith Saxton
Univ of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Am J Geriatr Psychiatry 13:999-1005. 2005..The authors sought to develop a short form of the Severe Impairment Battery (SIB)...
- Long-term effects of the concomitant use of memantine with cholinesterase inhibition in Alzheimer diseaseO L Lopez
Department of Neurology, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 80:600-7. 2009..There are no long-term studies of the effects of memantine in combination with ChEIs use in Alzheimer disease (AD). This study was conducted to examine the effects of ChEIs and memantine on time to death and time to NH admission...
- Relationship of deep white matter hyperintensities and apolipoprotein E genotype to depressive symptoms in older adults without clinical depressionR D Nebes
Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic, Thomas Detre Hall, 3811 O Hara St, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Am J Psychiatry 158:878-84. 2001....
- Preclinical Alzheimer disease: neuropsychological test performance 1.5 to 8 years prior to onsetJ Saxton
University of Pittsburgh, Oxford Building, Room 738, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Neurology 63:2341-7. 2004..To determine if individuals ultimately diagnosed with Alzheimer disease (AD) exhibited evidence of cognitive impairment on neuropsychological tests administered between 1.5 years and 8.1 years before dementia onset...
- Cognitive test performance and presence of subclinical cardiovascular disease in the cardiovascular health studyJ Saxton
Department of Psychiatry, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Neuroepidemiology 19:312-9. 2000..These results add to the evidence that, in addition to other health implications, cardiovascular disease is related to cognitive functioning in the elderly even at subclinical levels...
- Normative data on the Boston Naming Test and two equivalent 30-item short formsJ Saxton
Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic, University of Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Clin Neuropsychol 14:526-34. 2000..Age and education norms are presented using an overlapping midpoint interval strategy...
- Functional neuroimaging indicators of successful executive control in the oldest oldC Rosano
School of Public Health, Department of Epidemiology, University of Pittsburgh, PA 15260, USA
Neuroimage 28:881-9. 2005..Older adults who are able to perform executive control tasks as well as young adults, also seem to implement speed-accuracy trade-off strategies which may rely on increased parietal activation...
- Cognitive slowing associated with elevated serum anticholinergic activity in older individuals is decreased by caffeine useRobert D Nebes
Department of Psychiatry, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Am J Geriatr Psychiatry 19:169-75. 2011....
- Temporal stability of receptiveness to clinical research on Alzheimer diseaseJennifer Hagerty Lingler
Department of Health and Community Systems, University of Pittsburgh School of Nursing, Pittsburgh, PA 15261, USA
Alzheimer Dis Assoc Disord 24:S30-4. 2010..This finding has relevance for the policy debate around research advance directives, an approach which assumes that preferences with regard to research participation are consistent over time...
- Cognitive test performance predicts change in functional status at the population level: the MYHAT ProjectMary Ganguli
Department of Psychiatry, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
J Int Neuropsychol Soc 16:761-70. 2010..At the population level, changes in both directions are observable in functional status, with different neuropsychological measures predicting the direction of change...
- Age and education effects and norms on a cognitive test battery from a population-based cohort: the Monongahela-Youghiogheny Healthy Aging TeamMary Ganguli
Department of Psychiatry, School of Medicine, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Aging Ment Health 14:100-7. 2010..Performance on cognitive tests can be affected by age, education, and also selection bias. We examined the distribution of scores on several cognitive screening tests by age and educational levels in a population-based cohort...
- High medical co-morbidity and family history of dementia is associated with lower cognitive function in older patientsLisa A Morrow
Department of Psychiatry, University of Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Fam Pract 26:339-43. 2009..Risk factors for cognitive decline in ageing are multifactorial, including medical co-morbidities and familial genetic risk...
- Subjective memory complaints and concurrent memory performance in older patients of primary care providersBeth E Snitz
Department of Neurology, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15213, USA
J Int Neuropsychol Soc 14:1004-13. 2008....
- The association between congestive heart failure and cognitive performance in a primary care population of elderly adults: the Steel Valley Seniors SurveyLaurie Lavery
Division of Geriatric Medicine, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Int Psychogeriatr 19:215-25. 2007..We examined the association between CHF and cognitive performance in stable outpatients recruited from primary care...
- Frequent amyloid deposition without significant cognitive impairment among the elderlyHoward Jay Aizenstein
Department of Psychiatry, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Arch Neurol 65:1509-17. 2008....
- The relation of white matter hyperintensities to cognitive performance in the normal old: education mattersRobert D Nebes
University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pennsylvania, USA
Neuropsychol Dev Cogn B Aging Neuropsychol Cogn 13:326-40. 2006..This is consistent with recent concepts of cognitive reserve, but does raise a question as to the underlying source of the cognitive decrement found in the sort of well-educated elders typically used in cognitive-aging studies...
- Amyloid deposition begins in the striatum of presenilin-1 mutation carriers from two unrelated pedigreesWilliam E Klunk
Department of Psychiatry, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15261, USA
J Neurosci 27:6174-84. 2007..The early, focal striatal amyloid deposition observed in these PS1 mutation carriers is often is not associated with clinical symptoms...
- Cholinesterase inhibitor treatment alters the natural history of Alzheimer's diseaseO L Lopez
Alzheimer s Disease Research Center, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 72:310-4. 2002..To describe the effect of cholinesterase inhibitors (CEIs) on the natural course of Alzheimer's disease (AD)...
- Alzheimer disease with psychosis: excess cognitive impairment is restricted to the misidentification subtypeGina Perez-Madriñan
Dept of Psychiatry, Univ of Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Am J Geriatr Psychiatry 12:449-56. 2004..We hypothesized that these two groups differed in their patterns of cognitive impairment, compared with AD subjects without psychosis...
- Basal cerebral metabolism may modulate the cognitive effects of Abeta in mild cognitive impairment: an example of brain reserveAnn D Cohen
Department of Psychiatry, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15261, USA
J Neurosci 29:14770-8. 2009....
- The relation of White Matter Hyperintensities to implicit learning in healthy older adultsH J Aizenstein
Department of Psychiatry, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 17:664-9. 2002....
- Event-related functional magnetic resonance imaging investigation of executive control in very old individuals with mild cognitive impairmentCaterina Rosano
School of Public Health, Department of Epidemiology, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15213, USA
Biol Psychiatry 57:761-7. 2005....
- Factors associated with adherence to medication regimens in older primary care patients: the Steel Valley Seniors SurveyGary P Stoehr
Department of Pharmacy and Therapeutics, University of Pittsburgh School of Pharmacy, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
Am J Geriatr Pharmacother 6:255-63. 2008..The aim of this study was to explore associations between 2 specific cognitive domains and aspects of medication management among older primary care patients...
- Ginkgo biloba for prevention of dementia: a randomized controlled trialSteven T DeKosky
University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
JAMA 300:2253-62. 2008..Ginkgo biloba is widely used for its potential effects on memory and cognition. To date, adequately powered clinical trials testing the effect of G. biloba on dementia incidence are lacking...
- Characterizing regional correlation, laterality and symmetry of amyloid deposition in mild cognitive impairment and Alzheimer's disease with Pittsburgh Compound BCyrus A Raji
Department of Pathology, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, PA 15213 2593, United States
J Neurosci Methods 172:277-82. 2008..02, p=0.01) and anterior ventral striatum [t(9)=2.37, p=0.04] in AD. No group differences (AD versus MCI) were detected in laterality [F (1, 15)=0.15, p=0.7] or asymmetry [F (1, 15)=0.7, p=0.42]...
- Cognitive domains and trajectories of functional independence in nondemented elderly personsHiroko H Dodge
Department of Public Health, Oregon State University, Corvallis, OR 97331, USA
J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 61:1330-7. 2006..Cognitive impairment in general is known to predict functional disability, but it is not clear whether performance on specific cognitive domains predicts future disability trends among nondemented elderly persons...
- Cognitive Assessment of Elderly Primary Care PatientsJudith Saxton; Fiscal Year: 2007..Second, this study will help prepare PCP's to identify and manage older patients with cognitive decline as improved treatments for AD and other cognitive disorders become available over the next three-five years. ..
- Cognitive Assessment of Elderly Primary Care PatientsJudith Saxton; Fiscal Year: 2009..Second, this study will help prepare PCP's to identify and manage older patients with cognitive decline as improved treatments for AD and other cognitive disorders become available over the next three-five years. ..
- Cognitive Assessment of Elderly Primary Care Patients.Judith A Saxton; Fiscal Year: 2010..We will determine whether a brief Computer Assessment of MCI works as well as traditional neuropsychological testing. We will also investigate lifestyle and medical factors associated with instability in the MCI diagnosis. ..