Affiliation: University of Illinois at Chicago
- HLA-DR15 (DR2) is overrepresented in myelodysplastic syndrome and aplastic anemia and predicts a response to immunosuppression in myelodysplastic syndromeYogen Saunthararajah
University of Illinois at Chicago, USA
Blood 100:1570-4. 2002..008). In MDS with RA, DR15 may be useful as a guide to pathophysiology, prognosis, and treatment...
- Decitabine and sickle cell disease: molecular therapy for a molecular diseaseYogen Saunthararajah
University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, Illinois 60612, USA
Pediatr Hematol Oncol 24:465-8. 2007
- Coincident myelodysplastic syndrome and T-cell large granular lymphocytic disease: clinical and pathophysiological featuresY Saunthararajah
Hematology Branch, National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD, USA
Br J Haematol 112:195-200. 2001..The lower response rate of MDS or T-LGL/MDS to immunosuppression, compared with T-LGL alone, may reflect the older age and intrinsic stem cell abnormalities in MDS and T-LGL/MDS patients...
- Clinical studies with fetal hemoglobin-enhancing agents in sickle cell diseaseYogen Saunthararajah
Section of Hematology Oncology, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, IL 60607 7173, USA
Semin Hematol 41:11-6. 2004..Larger studies are required to confirm the safety and effectiveness of decitabine with chronic use, and to more clearly establish its role in patients with SCD...
- Combinatorial action of RUNX1 and PU.1 in the regulation of hematopoiesisYogen Saunthararajah
Department of Medicine and Cancer Center, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Crit Rev Eukaryot Gene Expr 16:183-92. 2006..Here we describe the relationship of RUNX1 with PU.1 as a facet of the combinatorial relationships that determine hematopoietic lineage commitment...
- Effects of 5-aza-2'-deoxycytidine on fetal hemoglobin levels, red cell adhesion, and hematopoietic differentiation in patients with sickle cell diseaseYogen Saunthararajah
University of Illinois at Chicago, Section of Hem Onc, MBRB Rm 3150 MC734, 900 S Ashland Ave, Chicago, IL 60607, USA
Blood 102:3865-70. 2003..Chronic dosing and sustained increases in hemoglobin F and total hemoglobin levels may be possible. Further studies in SSD and thalassemia are indicated...
- A simple method to predict response to immunosuppressive therapy in patients with myelodysplastic syndromeYogen Saunthararajah
University of Illinois at Chicago, MBRB rm3150 MC734, 900 S Ashland Ave, Chicago, IL 60607, USA
Blood 102:3025-7. 2003..The ability of this system to predict response was confirmed in a separate cohort of 23 patients with MDS treated with immunosuppression...
- DNA hypo-methylating agents and sickle cell diseaseYogen Saunthararajah
University of Illinois at Chicago, 900 S Ashland Avenue, Chicago, IL 60607 7173, USA
Br J Haematol 126:629-36. 2004..Pharmacologic reactivation of HbF through DNA hypomethylation holds promise as an effective disease modifying intervention for patients with SSD. Larger studies are required to confirm safety and effectiveness with chronic use...
- RUNX1-RUNX1 homodimerization modulates RUNX1 activity and functionDonglan Li
Department of Medicine, University of Illinois, Chicago, Illinois 60612, USA
J Biol Chem 282:13542-51. 2007....
- HLA-DR4 predicts haematological response to cyclosporine in T-large granular lymphocyte lymphoproliferative disordersMinoo Battiwalla
Hematology Branch, National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Br J Haematol 123:449-53. 2003..We conclude that CSA is effective in inducing haematological responses in HLA-DR4-positive patients and that T-LGL is likely to have an immune pathogenesis...
- Effect of AGM and fetal liver-derived stromal cell lines on globin expression in adult baboon (P. anubis) bone marrow-derived erythroid progenitorsDonald Lavelle
Department of Medicine, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, Illinois, United States of America
PLoS ONE 7:e36846. 2012..We conclude that γ-globin expression in adult-derived erythroid cells can be influenced by the micro-environment, suggesting new potential targets for HbF induction...
- S110, a novel decitabine dinucleotide, increases fetal hemoglobin levels in baboons (P. anubis)Donald Lavelle
Department of Medicine, University of Illinois at Chicago, 840 S, Wood St, Chicago, Illinois 60612 7323, USA
J Transl Med 8:92. 2010..In these experiments the effect of S110 on HbF levels in baboons and its ability to reduce DNA methylation of the γ-globin gene promoter in vivo were evaluated...
- Oral decitabine reactivates expression of the methylated gamma-globin gene in Papio anubisDonald Lavelle
Jesse Brown VA Medical Center, Chicago, Illinois 60612, USA
Am J Hematol 82:981-5. 2007....
- Effects of tetrahydrouridine on pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of oral decitabineDonald Lavelle
Department of Medicine, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, IL, USA
Blood 119:1240-7. 2012..Combining oral THU with oral DAC changes DAC pharmacology in a manner that may facilitate accessible noncytotoxic DNMT1-targeted therapy...
- EVI1 induces myelodysplastic syndrome in miceSilvia Buonamici
Department of Pathology and Cancer Center, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, Illinois, USA
J Clin Invest 114:713-9. 2004..These defects are not fatal, and the mice survive for about 10 months with compensated hematopoiesis. Over this time, compensation fails, and the mice succumb to fatal peripheral cytopenia...
- Antithymocyte globulin for treatment of the bone marrow failure associated with myelodysplastic syndromesJeffrey J Molldrem
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 70892, USA
Ann Intern Med 137:156-63. 2002..Almost half of the deaths that result from myelodysplastic syndromes are due to cytopenia associated with bone marrow failure. Treatment is mostly supportive care...
- Modification of hematopoietic stem cell fate by 5aza 2'deoxycytidine and trichostatin AMohammed Milhem
Section of Hematology Oncology, University of Illinois Cancer Center, University of Illinois College of Medicine, Chicago, IL 60607, USA
Blood 103:4102-10. 2004..Our findings demonstrate that 5azaD and TSA can be used to alter the fate of primitive HSCs/HPCs during in vitro culture...
- Pathologic quiz case: a 68-year-old man with thrombocytosis and ringed sideroblasts. Essential thrombocythemia with ringed sideroblastsJigna C Jani
Department of Pathology, University of Illinois, Chicago 60612, USA
Arch Pathol Lab Med 128:815-6. 2004
- Differentiation impairment and the evolution of MDSNadim Mahmud
Section of Hematology Oncology, Department of Medicine, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, IL, USA
Leuk Lymphoma 48:1267-8. 2007
- Patient-reported outcomes: descriptors of nociceptive and neuropathic pain and barriers to effective pain management in adult outpatients with sickle cell diseaseDiana J Wilkie
Department of Biobehavioral Health Science, College of Nursing, MC 802, University of Illinois at Chicago, 845 S Damen Ave, Rm 660, Chicago, IL 60612 7350, USA
J Natl Med Assoc 102:18-27. 2010..Importantly, their pain may be both nociceptive and neuropathic, contrary to common expectations that SCD pain is only nociceptive. Few patients, however, took drugs effective for neuropathic pain...
- AML1-ETO decreases ETO-2 (MTG16) interactions with nuclear receptor corepressor, an effect that impairs granulocyte differentiationVinzon Ibanez
Section of Hematology Oncology, Department of Medicine, University of Illinois, Chicago, USA
Cancer Res 64:4547-54. 2004..In conclusion, decreasing interactions between ETO-2 and N-CoR, an effect of AML1-ETO, inhibits granulocyte differentiation...
- Standard clinical practice underestimates the role and significance of erythropoietin deficiency in sickle cell diseaseSantosh Saraf
Department of Medicine, University of Illinois, Chicago Center for Clinical and Translational Research, University of Illinois, Chicago, IL, USA
Br J Haematol 153:386-92. 2011..In SCD patients, this standard approach can miss a substantial risk factor for early death. chRR could be a practical and important criterion for diagnosis of erythropoietin deficiency in SCD...
- Effect of hydroxyurea on mortality and morbidity in adult sickle cell anemia: risks and benefits up to 9 years of treatmentMartin H Steinberg
Boston University School of Medicine, Center of Excellence in Sickle Cell Disease, Boston Medical Center, Boston, Mass 02118, USA
JAMA 289:1645-51. 2003..Hydroxyurea increases levels of fetal hemoglobin (HbF) and decreases morbidity from vaso-occlusive complications in patients with sickle cell anemia (SCA). High HbF levels reduce morbidity and mortality...
- DNA methylation and mechanism of action of 5-azacytidineDonald Lavelle
Blood 111:2485; author reply 2486. 2008
- Clinical effectiveness of decitabine in severe sickle cell diseaseYogen Saunthararajah
Br J Haematol 141:126-9. 2008
- Efficacy and safety of the Gardos channel blocker, senicapoc (ICA-17043), in patients with sickle cell anemiaKenneth I Ataga
Division of Hematology Oncology, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, CB no 7305, 3009 Old Clinic Bldg, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 7305, USA
Blood 111:3991-7. 2008..This study is registered at http://clinicaltrials.gov as NCT00040677...
- Normal and transforming functions of RUNX1: a perspectiveFady M Mikhail
Department of Genetics, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama, USA
J Cell Physiol 207:582-93. 2006..Here, we provide an overview of the many roles of RUNX1 in hematopoietic self-renewal and differentiation and summarize the information that is currently available on the many mechanisms of RUNX1 deregulation in human leukemia...