Affiliation: University of Toledo
- Das S, Yamamoto B, Hristov A, Sari Y. Ceftriaxone attenuates ethanol drinking and restores extracellular glutamate concentration through normalization of GLT-1 in nucleus accumbens of male alcohol-preferring rats. Neuropharmacology. 2015;97:67-74 pubmed publisher..Our present study demonstrates that ceftriaxone treatment prevents ethanol drinking in part through normalization of extracellular glutamate concentrations in NAc of male P rats via GLT-1. ..
- Alasmari F, Abuhamdah S, Sari Y. Effects of ampicillin on cystine/glutamate antiporter and glutamate transporter 1 isoforms as well as ethanol drinking in male P rats. Neurosci Lett. 2015;600:148-52 pubmed publisher..Our findings provide significant role of ampicillin on upregulating xCT and GLT-1 isoforms expression, might be suggested as possible targets for the attenuation of ethanol consumption. ..
- Goodwani S, Rao P, Bell R, Sari Y. Amoxicillin and amoxicillin/clavulanate reduce ethanol intake and increase GLT-1 expression as well as AKT phosphorylation in mesocorticolimbic regions. Brain Res. 2015;1622:397-408 pubmed publisher..Thus, GLT-1 and pAKT may serve as molecular targets for the treatment of alcohol and drug abuse/dependence. ..
- Alasmari F, Bell R, Rao P, Hammad A, Sari Y. Peri-adolescent drinking of ethanol and/or nicotine modulates astroglial glutamate transporters and metabotropic glutamate receptor-1 in female alcohol-preferring rats. Pharmacol Biochem Behav. 2018;170:44-55 pubmed publisher..Our data further parallel some of the previous findings observed in adult rats. ..
- Alshehri F, Hakami A, Althobaiti Y, Sari Y. Effects of ceftriaxone on hydrocodone seeking behavior and glial glutamate transporters in P rats. Behav Brain Res. 2018;347:368-376 pubmed publisher..These findings demonstrate that the attenuating effect of HYD reinstatement with CEF might be mediated through xCT. ..
- Sari Y, Weedman J, Nkrumah Abrokwah M. Neurotrophic peptides, ADNF-9 and NAP, prevent alcohol-induced apoptosis at midgestation in fetal brains of C57BL/6 mouse. J Mol Neurosci. 2013;49:150-6 pubmed publisher..These findings may pave the path toward potential therapeutics against alcohol intoxication during pregnancy stages. ..
- Rao P, Saternos H, Goodwani S, Sari Y. Effects of ceftriaxone on GLT1 isoforms, xCT and associated signaling pathways in P rats exposed to ethanol. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2015;232:2333-42 pubmed publisher..These findings demonstrate that ceftriaxone treatment induced upregulation of GLT1, GLT1 isoforms, and xCT in association with activation of the Akt-NFÎºB signaling pathway. ..
- Althobaiti Y, Almalki A, Das S, Alshehri F, Sari Y. Effects of repeated high-dose methamphetamine and ceftriaxone post-treatments on tissue content of dopamine and serotonin as well as glutamate and glutamine. Neurosci Lett. 2016;634:25-31 pubmed publisher..These findings demonstrate for the first time the attenuating effects of CEF post-treatment on METH induced alterations in the tissue contents of dopamine, glutamate, and glutamine. ..
- Alshehri F, Althobaiti Y, Sari Y. Effects of Administered Ethanol and Methamphetamine on Glial Glutamate Transporters in Rat Striatum and Hippocampus. J Mol Neurosci. 2017;61:343-350 pubmed publisher..These findings demonstrated that sequential exposure to EtOH and MA has additive effect in downregulation of GLT-1 and this effect can be attenuated by CEF treatment. ..
- Hakami A, Alshehri F, Althobaiti Y, Sari Y. Effects of orally administered Augmentin on glutamate transporter 1, cystine-glutamate exchanger expression and ethanol intake in alcohol-preferring rats. Behav Brain Res. 2017;320:316-322 pubmed publisher..There was no effect of orally administered Augmentin on GLAST expression in either NAc or PFC. These findings present strong evidence that oral administration of Augmentin can be used as an alternative to parenteral treatment. ..
- Das S, Althobaiti Y, Alshehri F, Sari Y. Binge ethanol withdrawal: Effects on post-withdrawal ethanol intake, glutamate-glutamine cycle and monoamine tissue content in P rat model. Behav Brain Res. 2016;303:120-5 pubmed publisher..The tissue content of DA was significantly lower in both mPFC and NAc, whereas tissue content of serotonin was unchanged in both mPFC and NAc. These findings provide important information of the critical role of GLT-1 in context of AWS. ..
- Alasmari F, Rao P, Sari Y. Effects of cefazolin and cefoperazone on glutamate transporter 1 isoforms and cystine/glutamate exchanger as well as alcohol drinking behavior in male alcohol-preferring rats. Brain Res. 2016;1634:150-157 pubmed publisher..Overall, our findings suggest that cefazolin and cefoperazone may be considered as potential compounds for the treatment of ethanol dependence. ..
- Abuhamdah S, Khalil A, Sari Y. Targeting Dopaminergic System for Treating Nicotine Dependence. Cent Nerv Syst Agents Med Chem. 2016;16:137-42 pubmed..This includes blockade of dopamine transporter and inhibition of MAO as pharmacotherapy for the treatment of nicotine dependence. ..
- Goodwani S, Saternos H, Alasmari F, Sari Y. Metabotropic and ionotropic glutamate receptors as potential targets for the treatment of alcohol use disorder. Neurosci Biobehav Rev. 2017;77:14-31 pubmed publisher..This review provides ample information about the potential therapeutic role of glutamatergic receptors for the treatment of AUD. ..
- Alasmari F, Crotty Alexander L, Nelson J, Schiefer I, Breen E, Drummond C, et al. Effects of chronic inhalation of electronic cigarettes containing nicotine on glial glutamate transporters and α-7 nicotinic acetylcholine receptor in female CD-1 mice. Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry. 2017;77:1-8 pubmed publisher..Our work may suggest that nicotine exposure via chronic inhalation of e-cigarette vapor may be mediated in part by alterations in the glutamatergic system. ..
- Hammad A, Althobaiti Y, Das S, Sari Y. Effects of repeated cocaine exposure and withdrawal on voluntary ethanol drinking, and the expression of glial glutamate transporters in mesocorticolimbic system of P rats. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2017;82:58-65 pubmed publisher..Our findings demonstrated that chronic cocaine exposure affects ethanol intake; and ethanol and cocaine co-abuse alters the expression of glial glutamate transporters. ..
- Hammad A, Alasmari F, Althobaiti Y, Sari Y. Modulatory effects of Ampicillin/Sulbactam on glial glutamate transporters and metabotropic glutamate receptor 1 as well as reinstatement to cocaine-seeking behavior. Behav Brain Res. 2017;332:288-298 pubmed publisher..These findings demonstrated that glial glutamate transporters and mGluR1 in the mesocorticolimbic area could be potential therapeutic targets for the attenuation of reinstatement to cocaine-seeking behavior. ..
- Hakami A, Sari Y. β-Lactamase inhibitor, clavulanic acid, attenuates ethanol intake and increases glial glutamate transporters expression in alcohol preferring rats. Neurosci Lett. 2017;657:140-145 pubmed publisher..Thus, we suggest that clavulanic acid might be used as an alternative option to ceftriaxone to attenuate ethanol drinking behavior. ..
- Almalki A, Das S, Alshehri F, Althobaiti Y, Sari Y. Effects of sequential ethanol exposure and repeated high-dose methamphetamine on striatal and hippocampal dopamine, serotonin and glutamate tissue content in Wistar rats. Neurosci Lett. 2018;665:61-66 pubmed publisher..This study demonstrated that sequential exposure of ethanol and METH has an additive effect on tissue content of certain neurotransmitters in the brain. ..