Affiliation: University of South Florida
- Granulocyte colony stimulating factor decreases brain amyloid burden and reverses cognitive impairment in Alzheimer's miceJ Sanchez-Ramos
Department of Neurology MDC55, University of South Florida, 12901 Bruce B Downs Boulevard, Tampa, FL 33612, USA
Neuroscience 163:55-72. 2009..4) To learn whether enhanced hippocampal neurogenesis was induced by G-CSF treatment, numbers of calretinin-expressing cells were determined in dentate gyrus...
- Pilot study of granulocyte-colony stimulating factor for treatment of Alzheimer's diseaseJuan Sanchez-Ramos
Department of Neurology, College of Medicine, USF Health Byrd Alzheimer s Institute, Tampa, FL, USA
J Alzheimers Dis 31:843-55. 2012..In conclusion, administration of G-CSF in a dosage regimen commonly used for bone marrow donors was well tolerated and safe, and provided a signal of positive change in a hippocampal-dependent task of cognitive performance...
- The potential of hematopoietic growth factors for treatment of Alzheimer's disease: a mini-reviewJuan Sanchez-Ramos
Department of Neurology, University of South Florida, Tampa, FL 33612, USA
BMC Neurosci 9:S3. 2008..In addition, neuronal hematopoietic growth factor receptors provide novel targets for the discovery of peptide-mimetic drugs that can forestall or reverse the pathological progression of Alzheimer's disease...
- Quantitative analysis of tremors in weldersJuan Sanchez-Ramos
College of Medicine, University of South Florida, Tampa, FL 33612, USA
Int J Environ Res Public Health 8:1478-90. 2011..Workers chronically exposed to manganese in welding fumes may develop an extra-pyramidal syndrome with postural and action tremors...
- Adult bone marrow stromal cells differentiate into neural cells in vitroJ Sanchez-Ramos
Department of Neurology, University of South Florida, Tampa, USA
Exp Neurol 164:247-56. 2000..When labeled human or mouse BMSC were cultured with rat fetal mesencephalic or striatal cells, a small proportion of BMSC-derived cells differentiated into neuron-like cells expressing NeuN and glial cells expressing GFAP...
- Do hematopoietic cells exposed to a neurogenic environment mimic properties of endogenous neural precursors?P Walczak
Center of Excellence for Aging and Brain Repair, Department of Neurosurgery, University of South Florida College of Medicine, Tampa, Florida 33612, USA
J Neurosci Res 76:244-54. 2004..Therefore, it is believed that the environment of the neurogenic SVZ, even in aged animals, was able to support survival, "neuralization," and migratory features of HUCB-derived cells...
- Four peptide hormones' specific decrease (up to 97%) of human prostate carcinoma cellsB A Vesely
University of South Florida Cardiac Hormone Center and James A. Haley Veterans Medical Center, Tampa, FL 33612, USA
Eur J Clin Invest 35:700-10. 2005..CONCLUSIONS: These results indicate that these peptide hormones' anticancer effects are specific. Furthermore, they have very potent effects of eliminating up to 97% of prostate cancer cells within 24 h of treatment...
- Five cardiac hormones decrease the number of human small-cell lung cancer cellsB A Vesely
Department of Internal Medicine, University of South Florida Cardiac Hormone Center, Tampa, FL, USA
Eur J Clin Invest 35:388-98. 2005..Their mechanism of doing so involves inhibition of DNA synthesis mediated in part by cyclic GMP...
- Apoptosis in cultured hNT neuronsT Zigova
Department of Neurosurgery, College of Medicine, University of South Florida, Tampa 33612, FL, USA
Brain Res Dev Brain Res 127:63-70. 2001....
- Organ-specific differences in 8-oxoguanosine glycosylase (OGG1) repair following acute treatment with benzo[a]pyreneT Stedeford
Dept. of Neurology, College of Medicine, University of South Florida, Tampa, USA
Res Commun Mol Pathol Pharmacol 109:73-85. 2001..This study demonstrates that organ-specific differences exist in the capacity to remove oxo8dG and further demonstrates the susceptibility of lung tissue to the effects of B[a]P...
- Can low level exposure to ochratoxin-A cause parkinsonism?V Sava
University of South Florida, Tampa, FL 33612, USA
J Neurol Sci 249:68-75. 2006..It is possible that low dose exposure to OTA will result in an earlier onset of parkinsonism when normal age-dependent decline in striatal DA levels are superimposed on the mycotoxin-induced lesion...
- Comparison of base-excision repair capacity in proliferating and differentiated PC 12 cells following acute challenge with dieldrinT Stedeford
Department of Neurology, College of Medicine, University of South Florida, Tampa, FL, USA
Free Radic Biol Med 31:1272-8. 2001..This difference between actively dividing and differentiated cells in the regulation of base-excision repair and DNA damage accumulation explains, in part, the vulnerability of postmitotic neurons to oxidative stresses and neurotoxins...
- The X-gal caution in neural transplantation studiesJ Sanchez-Ramos
Department of Neurology, University of South Florida, Tampa 33612, USA
Cell Transplant 9:657-67. 2000..coli beta-gal activity...
- Green fluorescent protein bone marrow cells express hematopoietic and neural antigens in culture and migrate within the neonatal rat brainJ E Hudson
Department of Neurosurgery, College of Medicine, Center of Excellence for Aging and Brain Repair, University of South Florida, Tampa, Florida 33612, USA
J Neurosci Res 76:255-64. 2004....
- Intravenous versus intrastriatal cord blood administration in a rodent model of strokeA E Willing
Department of Neurosurgery, Center for Aging and Brain Repair, University of South Florida, Tampa, Florida, USA
J Neurosci Res 73:296-307. 2003..In addition, intravenous delivery may be more effective than striatal delivery in producing long-term functional benefits to the stroked animal...
- Neuroanatomical mapping of DNA repair and antioxidative responses in mouse brain: Effects of a single dose of MPTPV Sava
Department of Neurology, University of South Florida, MDC 55, 12901 Bruce B. Downs Blvd, Tampa, FL 33612, USA
Neurotoxicology 27:1080-93. 2006..In conclusion, MPTP elicited global effects on DNA repair and antioxidant activity in all regions of brain, but the most vulnerable loci were unable to maintain elevated DNA repair and antioxidant responses...
- Expression of brain natriuretic peptide by human bone marrow stromal cellsS Song
Department of Neurology, Center for Aging and Brain Repair, University of South Florida, Tampa, FL 33612, USA
Exp Neurol 185:191-7. 2004..We speculate that transplanted BMSCs facilitate recovery from brain and spinal cord lesions by releasing BNP and other vasoactive factors that reduce edema, decrease intracranial pressure and improve cerebral perfusion...
- Rubratoxin B elicits antioxidative and DNA repair responses in mouse brainV Sava
University of South Florida, Tampa, FL 33612, USA
Gene Expr 11:211-9. 2004..In conclusion, specific brain regions responded to an acute dose of RB by significantly altering SOD and OGG1 activities to maintain the degree of oxidative DNA damage equal to, or less than, that of normal steady-state levels...
- Four peptide hormones decrease the number of human breast adenocarcinoma cellsB A Vesely
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of South Florida Cardiac Hormone Center and James A. Haley Veteran's Administration Medical Center, Tampa, FL, USA
Eur J Clin Invest 35:60-9. 2005..Their mechanism of doing so involves inhibition of DNA synthesis and a decrease in cells in the S phase of the cell cycle mediated in part by cyclic GMP...
- Maternal inheritance and mitochondrial DNA variants in familial Parkinson's diseaseDavid K Simon
Department of Neurology, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
BMC Med Genet 11:53. 2010..We investigated the potential contribution of mtDNA variants or mutations to the risk of PD...
- Preparation of neural progenitors from bone marrow and umbilical cord bloodShijie Song
Department of Neurology, Center for Aging and Brain Repair, College of Medicine, University of South Florida, Tampa, FL, USA
Methods Mol Biol 198:79-88. 2002
- Medication development of ibogaine as a pharmacotherapy for drug dependenceD C Mash
Department of Neurology, University of Miami School of Medicine, Florida 33136, USA
Ann N Y Acad Sci 844:274-92. 1998..The development of clinical safety studies of ibogaine in humans will help to determine whether there is a rationale for conducting efficacy trials in the future...