Affiliation: University of California
- Mechanical and suboptimal pharmacologic prophylaxis and delayed mobilization but not morbid obesity are associated with venous thromboembolism after total knee arthroplasty: a case-control studyBanafsheh Sadeghi
School of Medicine, Department of Internal Medicine, Division of General Medicine, Chicago, IL, USA
J Hosp Med 7:665-71. 2012..Suboptimal dosing, delayed initiation, and overreliance on mechanical methods may also limit the effectiveness of thromboprophylaxis...
- Cases of iatrogenic pneumothorax can be identified from ICD-9-CM coded dataBanafsheh Sadeghi
University of California, Davis, Sacramento, CA 95817, USA
Am J Med Qual 25:218-24. 2010..At least 1725 hospital-acquired pneumothoraxes could have been prevented in 2004 through universal use of ultrasound guidance during internal jugular cannulation...
- How valid is the ICD-9-CM based AHRQ patient safety indicator for postoperative venous thromboembolism?Richard H White
Division of General Medicine, University of California, Davis, CA 95817, USA
Med Care 47:1237-43. 2009..However, few studies have evaluated the accuracy of these ICD-9-CM codes across multiple hospitals...
- Positive predictive value of the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality Patient Safety Indicator for central line-related bloodstream infection ("selected infections due to medical care")Patricia A Zrelak
University of California, Davis, Sacramento, CA Battelle Memorial Institute in Sacramento, CA, USA
J Healthc Qual 33:29-36. 2011..PSI 7 has a low positive predictive value compared with other PSIs recently studied. Present on admission diagnoses and improved coding for infections related to central venous catheters (implemented October 2007) may improve validity...
- Using the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality patient safety indicators for targeting nursing quality improvementPatricia A Zrelak
Center for Healthcare Policy and Research, University of California Davis, UC Davis Medical Center, 2103 Stockton Blvd, Sacramento, CA 95817, USA
J Nurs Care Qual 27:99-108. 2012..In this paper, we describe how the AHRQ PSI may be used to identify nursing-specific opportunities to improve care based on data from the national AHRQ PSI validation pilot project...
- Positive predictive value of the AHRQ accidental puncture or laceration patient safety indicatorGarth H Utter
Department of Surgery, University of California, Davis, Sacramento, CA 95817
Ann Surg 250:1041-5. 2009..We sought to determine the positive predictive value (PPV) of this indicator...
- Evaluation of the predictive value of ICD-9-CM coded administrative data for venous thromboembolism in the United StatesRichard H White
Division of General Medicine, University of California, Davis, CA, USA
Thromb Res 126:61-7. 2010..To determine the positive predictive value of International Classification of Disease, 9th Revision, Clinical Modification (ICD-9-CM) discharge codes for acute deep vein thrombosis or pulmonary embolism...
- Designing an abstraction instrument: lessons from efforts to validate the AHRQ patient safety indicatorsGarth H Utter
Department of Surgery, University of California, Davis, Medical Center, Sacramento, California, USA
Jt Comm J Qual Patient Saf 37:20-8. 2011....