Affiliation: University of Illinois at Chicago
- Estimating material viscoelastic properties based on surface wave measurements: a comparison of techniques and modeling assumptionsThomas J Royston
Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering, University of Illinois at Chicago, 842 West Taylor Street MC 251, Chicago, Illinois 60607, USA
J Acoust Soc Am 130:4126-38. 2011....
- Excitation and propagation of surface waves on a viscoelastic half-space with application to medical diagnosisT J Royston
University of Illinois at Chicago 60607, USA
J Acoust Soc Am 106:3678-86. 1999....
- Surface response of a viscoelastic medium to subsurface acoustic sources with application to medical diagnosisThomas J Royston
University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, Illinois 60607, USA
J Acoust Soc Am 113:1109-21. 2003..Examples include sound radiated from pulmonary, gastro-intestinal and cardiovascular system functions, such as breath sounds, bowel sounds and vascular bruits, respectively...
- Modeling sound transmission through the pulmonary system and chest with application to diagnosis of a collapsed lungT J Royston
University of Illinois at Chicago, 60607, USA
J Acoust Soc Am 111:1931-46. 2002..Development of the models, their extension via finite element analysis, and comparisons with experimental canine studies are reviewed...
- Transitional flow at the venous anastomosis of an arteriovenous graft: potential activation of the ERK1/2 mechanotransduction pathwayFrancis Loth
Department of Mechanical Engineering and Industrial Engineering, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, Illinois 60607, USA
J Biomech Eng 125:49-61. 2003..Further research is necessary, however, in order to determine if a correlation exists and to differentiate the vibration effect from that of flow related effects...
- Interdependence of pulsed ultrasound and shear stress effects on cell morphology and gene expressionSusan M McCormick
Department of Bioengineering, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, IL 60607, USA
Ann Biomed Eng 34:436-45. 2006....
- Error propagation model for microscopic magnetic resonance elastography shear-wave imagesShadi F Othman
Department of Bioengineering, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, IL 60607 7052, USA
Magn Reson Imaging 25:94-100. 2007..This model can be used to optimize MR pulse sequences for elastography studies, as well as other phase-difference techniques in MRI...
- Acoustic radiation from a fluid-filled, subsurface vascular tube with internal turbulent flow due to a constrictionYigit Yazicioglu
Mechanical Engineering, University of Illinois at Chicago, 842 West Taylor Street, MC 251, Chicago, Illinois 60607 7022, USA
J Acoust Soc Am 118:1193-209. 2005..This study is relevant to and may lead to further insight into the patency and mechanisms of vascular failure, as well as diagnostic techniques utilizing noninvasive acoustic measurements...
- Microscopic magnetic resonance elastography (microMRE)Shadi F Othman
Department of Bioengineering, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, Illinois 60607 7052, USA
Magn Reson Med 54:605-15. 2005..Further development of microMRE should enable its use in characterizing stiffer materials (e.g., polymers, composites, articular cartilage) and assessing with high resolution the mechanical properties of developing tissues...
- The effect of pulsed ultrasound on mandibular distractionTarek H El-Bialy
Tanta University, Egypt and Department of Bioengineering, University of Illinois at Chicago, 851 South Morgan Street, M C 063, Room 212, Chicago, IL, USA
Ann Biomed Eng 30:1251-61. 2002..001), vibratory coherence (p = 0.001), mechanical stiffness (p = 0.003), and qualitative histological studies, especially when the pulsed ultrasound treatment was directly applied daily...
- Surface response of a fractional order viscoelastic halfspace to surface and subsurface sourcesF Can Meral
Mechanical and Industrial Engineering, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, Illinois 60607, USA
J Acoust Soc Am 126:3278-85. 2009..It is shown that in both excitation source configurations, the fractional order Voigt model assumption improves the match of theory to experiment over a wider frequency range (in some cases up to the measured range of 700 Hz)...
- MR measurement of cerebrospinal fluid velocity wave speed in the spinal canalWojciech Kalata
Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering, University of Illinois, Chicago, IL 60607 7022, USA
IEEE Trans Biomed Eng 56:1765-8. 2009..The methodology represents a new technique that can be used to measure VWS in the spinal canal noninvasively. Further research is required to both validate the measurements and determine clinical significance...
- Syringomyelia hydrodynamics: an in vitro study based on in vivo measurementsBryn A Martin
University of Illinois at Chicago, Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering, Chicago, IL, USA
J Biomech Eng 127:1110-20. 2005..The presented in vitro study of spinal cord wall motion, and complex unsteady pressure and flow environment within the syrinx and SAS, provides insight into the complex biomechanical forces present in syringomyelia...
- Microstructural and strength evaluation of regenerate tissue during the consolidation period after vertical mandibular ramus distractionDavid F Gomez
Rush Craniofacial Center, Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Rush University Medical Center, Chicago, Illinois 60612, USA
J Craniofac Surg 16:805-11. 2005..These results suggest that internal distractors can successfully reconstitute bone but that the regenerated tissue did not regain structural and mechanical characteristics of native bone within the 2 month study period...