Megan E Roth
Affiliation: University of Minnesota
- Influence of estrogen in the acquisition of intravenously self-administered heroin in female ratsMegan E Roth
Department of Psychiatry, University of Minnesota, Mayo Mail Code 392, Minneapolis, MN 55455, USA
Pharmacol Biochem Behav 72:313-8. 2002..These results indicate that OVX+EB rats initiate heroin use sooner than OVX+VEH rats and consume greater amounts of heroin during the last 5 days of acquisition compared to OVX+VEH female rats...
- Sex differences in the acquisition of IV methamphetamine self-administration and subsequent maintenance under a progressive ratio schedule in ratsMegan E Roth
Department of Psychiatry, University of Minnesota Medical School, Mayo Box 392, Minneapolis, MN 55455 0392, USA
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 172:443-9. 2004..Previous work indicates that female rats initiate cocaine use sooner than male rats and reach significantly higher break points (BPs) for a single injection of cocaine under a progressive ratio (PR) schedule compared to male rats...
- Sex differences in the vulnerability to drug abuse: a review of preclinical studiesMegan E Roth
Alcohol and Drug Abuse Research Center, McLean Hospital, Harvard Medical School, 115 Mill Street, Belmont, MA 02478, USA
Neurosci Biobehav Rev 28:533-46. 2004..The animal literature on sex differences in drug abuse treatment effectiveness is also discussed...
- Sex differences in the escalation of intravenous cocaine intake following long- or short-access to cocaine self-administrationMegan E Roth
Department of Psychiatry, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN 55455, USA
Pharmacol Biochem Behav 78:199-207. 2004..These results suggest that female rats are more sensitive than male rats to factors that contribute to the escalation of cocaine intake (e.g., extended access conditions)...
- Sex and estrogen influence drug abuseMarilyn E Carroll
Department of Psychiatry, Mayo Box 392, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN 55455, USA
Trends Pharmacol Sci 25:273-9. 2004..In all phases of drug abuse, females seem to be more sensitive to the rewarding effects of drugs than males, and estrogen is a major factor that underlies these sex differences...
- Effect of short- vs. long-term estrogen on reinstatement of cocaine-seeking behavior in female ratsErin B Larson
Graduate Program in Neuroscience, University of Minnesota, MMC 392 Minneapolis, MN 55455, USA
Pharmacol Biochem Behav 82:98-108. 2005....
- Effects of gender and menstrual cycle phase on food-maintained responding under a progressive-ratio schedule in cynomolgus monkeysMegan E Roth
Alcohol and Drug Abuse Research Center, Department of Psychiatry, McLean Hospital Harvard Medical School, Belmont, MA 02478, USA
Pharmacol Biochem Behav 82:735-43. 2005..Although fluctuations in ovarian steroid hormones may influence food consumption under some conditions, consistent patterns of food-maintained responding were not detected during ovulatory menstrual cycles in cynomolgus monkeys...
- The effects of cocaine on gonadal steroid hormones and LH in male and female rhesus monkeysNancy K Mello
Alcohol and Drug Abuse Research Center, McLean Hospital Harvard Medical School, Belmont, MA, USA
Neuropsychopharmacology 29:2024-34. 2004..These rapid hormonal changes may contribute to cocaine's abuse-related effects, as well as to disruptions of the menstrual cycle during chronic cocaine administration...
- Biological basis of sex differences in drug abuse: preclinical and clinical studiesWendy J Lynch
Department of Psychiatry, Yale University, New Haven, CT 06508, USA
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 164:121-37. 2002..Future research is necessary to provide information on how to design more effective drug abuse treatment programs and resources that are sex specific...
- Caffeine dependence in teenagersGail A Bernstein
Division of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, University of Minnesota Medical School, F256 2B West, 2450 Riverside Avenue, Minneapolis, MN 55454, USA
Drug Alcohol Depend 66:1-6. 2002..There was no significant difference in the amount of caffeine consumed daily by caffeine dependent versus non-dependent teenagers. These findings are important due to the vast number of adolescents who drink caffeinated beverages...