Affiliation: University of Pittsburgh
- Late-life mental health education for workforce development: brain versus heart?Jules Rosen
Department of Psychiatry, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, PA Katz Graduate School of Business, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA Electronic address
Am J Geriatr Psychiatry 21:1164-7. 2013..This study evaluates the relative impact of cognition and attitude on career interests among healthcare students...
- Stayers, leavers, and switchers among certified nursing assistants in nursing homes: a longitudinal investigation of turnover intent, staff retention, and turnoverJules Rosen
Department of Psychiatry, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, WPIC, PA 15213, USA
Gerontologist 51:597-609. 2011..We conducted a longitudinal study to evaluate the job factors and work attitudes associated with just full-time staying or leaving. For those who did not stay, we assessed reasons for leaving and satisfaction following job transition...
- Web-based training and interrater reliability testing for scoring the Hamilton Depression Rating ScaleJules Rosen
Department of Psychiatry, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, United States
Psychiatry Res 161:126-30. 2008..The advantages and limitations of using interactive video technology to improve the quality of clinical trials are discussed...
- Ability, incentives, and management feedback: organizational change to reduce pressure ulcers in a nursing homeJules Rosen
Department of Psychiatry, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, PA 15241, USA
J Am Med Dir Assoc 7:141-6. 2006..Quality improvement (QI) processes in nursing homes are highly variable and often ineffective. This study evaluated an innovative QI process to reduce pressure ulcers (PUs) in a nursing home with a high rate of PUs...
- Pressure ulcer prevention in black and white nursing home residents: A QI initiative of enhanced ability, incentives, and management feedbackJules Rosen
Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic, Department of Psychiatry, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Adv Skin Wound Care 19:262-8. 2006..To determine if educating nursing home staff about pressure ulcer prevention reduces the differential risk of pressure ulcer development in black and white nursing home residents...
- Organizational change and quality improvement in nursing homes: approaching successJules Rosen
University of Pittsburgh, PA, USA
J Healthc Qual 27:6-14, 21, 44. 2005..Only when the element of real-time feedback was introduced, in combination with enhanced staff abilities and financial incentives, were substantial improvements seen in key clinical outcomes...
- Perception gap in quality-of-life ratings: an empirical investigation of nursing home residents and caregiversVikas Mittal
Katz Graduate School of Business, University of Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Gerontologist 47:159-68. 2007..In this study we use Helson's adaptation-level theory to investigate three types of antecedents: (a) focal factors, (b) background factors, and (c) residual factors...
- Actors' portrayals of depression to test interrater reliability in clinical trialsJules Rosen
Department of Psychiatry, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Am J Psychiatry 161:1909-11. 2004..This study determined if actors could portray depressed patients to establish the interrater reliability of raters using the Hamilton Depression Rating Scale (HDRS)...
- Educating the families of nursing home residents: a pilot study using a computer-based systemJules Rosen
Department of Psychiatry, University of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
J Am Med Dir Assoc 4:128-34. 2003..To enhance family participation in nursing home care through a Web-based system of interactive video training and interactive communication with the facilities...
- The association between changes in health status and nursing home resident quality of lifeHoward B Degenholtz
Department of Health Policy and Management, Center for Bioethics and Health Law, Graduate School of Public Health, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Gerontologist 48:584-92. 2008..Previous research on nursing home resident quality of life (QOL) has mainly been cross-sectional. This study examined the association between changes in QOL and changes in resident clinical factors...
- Determinants of staff job satisfaction of caregivers in two nursing homes in PennsylvaniaNicholas G Castle
Department of Health Policy and Management, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, USA
BMC Health Serv Res 6:60. 2006..However, we know little about factors associated with job satisfaction and dissatisfaction for nursing home workers...
- Population pharmacokinetics as a method to detect variable risperidone exposure in patients suffering from dementia with behavioral disturbancesRobert R Bies
Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic, Department of Psychiatry, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15261, USA
Am J Geriatr Pharmacother 3:87-91. 2005..This study was intended to compare the consistency of risperidone exposure in patients who have dementia and behavioral disturbances treated in a psychiatric hospital versus a community care setting...
- Interrater reliability in clinical trials of depressive disordersBenoit H Mulsant
Intervention Research Center for the Study of Late Life Mood Disorders, Department of Biostatistics, University of Pittsburgh Health Care System, PA, USA
Am J Psychiatry 159:1598-600. 2002..The goal of this study was to review the reported methods of rater training, assessment of interrater reliability, and rater drift in clinical trials of treatments for depressive disorders...
- Comparison of citalopram, perphenazine, and placebo for the acute treatment of psychosis and behavioral disturbances in hospitalized, demented patientsBruce G Pollock
Department of Psychiatry, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, PA, USA
Am J Psychiatry 159:460-5. 2002....
- Financial exploitation and psychological mistreatment among older adults: differences between African Americans and non-African Americans in a population-based surveyScott R Beach
University Center for Social and Urban Research, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA 15260, USA
Gerontologist 50:744-57. 2010....
- Treating Neuropsychiatric Symptoms in Dementia With Lewy Bodies: A Randomized Controlled-trialSandi Culo
Department of Psychiatry, University of British Columbia, Vancouver Department of Psychiatry, Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, and University of Toronto Rotman Institute, Baycrest, Toronto, Canada Departments of Psychiatry, Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic Biostatistics, Graduate School of Public Health, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh
Alzheimer Dis Assoc Disord 24:360-4. 2010..Most patients with behavioral disturbances or psychosis associated with DLB tolerate citalopram or risperidone poorly and do not seem to benefit from either medication. ..
- Re-emergence of posttraumatic stress disorder nightmares with nursing home admission: treatment with prazosinKim G Johnson
Department of Psychiatry, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
J Am Med Dir Assoc 14:130-1. 2013..This report highlights the importance of considering posttraumatic stress disorder in nursing home residents with a history of emotional trauma, and understanding how to address these symptoms pharmacologically and nonpharmacologically...
- Dextromethorphan-induced delirium and possible methadone interactionFrancis E Lotrich
Department of Psychiatry, Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15213, USA
Am J Geriatr Pharmacother 3:17-20. 2005..It is metabolized primarily by the cytochrome P450 (CYP) 2D6 isozyme. Methadone has been found to inhibit CYP2D6, indicating a potential for interaction with dextromethorphan...
- Verification of scale sub-domains in elderly patients with dementia: a confirmatory factor-analytic approachKari B Kastango
Department of Biostatistics, University of Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Am J Geriatr Psychiatry 10:706-14. 2002....
- A double-blind comparison of citalopram and risperidone for the treatment of behavioral and psychotic symptoms associated with dementiaBruce G Pollock
Rotman Research Institute at Baycrest, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Am J Geriatr Psychiatry 15:942-52. 2007..To compare citalopram and risperidone for the treatment of psychotic symptoms and agitation associated with dementia, with a priori hypotheses that risperidone would be more efficacious for psychosis and citalopram for agitation...
- Risperidone and 9-hydroxyrisperidone concentrations are not dependent on age or creatinine clearance among elderly subjectsRae Ann Maxwell
Pharmacy Department, Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic, VA Pittsburgh Health System, Pennsylvania, USA
J Geriatr Psychiatry Neurol 15:77-81. 2002..These results were unchanged when concentrations were corrected for total daily risperidone dose. Among elderly subjects, risperidone and 9-OH clearance do not decline with increasing age or declining CrCl...
- Organization Change to Improve Nursing Home EnviromentJules Rosen; Fiscal Year: 2003..Outcomes from the administrative perspective will include a "gap analysis which assesses how closely the desired goals of a program are achieved, as well as some financial markers of cost savings. ..