Nadia R Roan
Affiliation: University of California
- Semen-mediated enhancement of HIV infection is donor-dependent and correlates with the levels of SEVIKyeong Ae Kim
Institute of Molecular Virology, University Hospital Ulm, 89081 Ulm, Germany
Retrovirology 7:55. 2010..Despite its importance for the global spread of HIV-1, however, the effect of semen on virus infection is controversial...
- A seminal finding for understanding HIV transmissionNadia R Roan
Gladstone Institute of Virology and Immunology, University of California, San Francisco, 1650 Owens Street, San Francisco, CA 94158, USA
Cell 131:1044-6. 2007..As a potential explanation for this discrepancy, MÃ¼nch et al. (2007) now identify and characterize a factor found in human semen that under certain conditions can enhance HIV infectivity by more than 100,000-fold...
- Aminoquinoline surfen inhibits the action of SEVI (semen-derived enhancer of viral infection)Nadia R Roan
Gladstone Institute of Virology and Immunology, University of California, San Francisco, California 94158, USA
J Biol Chem 285:1861-9. 2010..Because SEVI can increase HIV infectivity by several orders of magnitude, supplementing current HIV microbicide candidates with SEVI inhibitors, such as surfen, might greatly increase their potency...
- Peptides released by physiological cleavage of semen coagulum proteins form amyloids that enhance HIV infectionNadia R Roan
Gladstone Institute of Virology and Immunology, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94158, USA
Cell Host Microbe 10:541-50. 2011..Semen thus harbors distinct amyloidogenic peptides derived from different precursor proteins that commonly enhance HIV infection and likely contribute to HIV transmission...
- Liquefaction of semen generates and later degrades a conserved semenogelin peptide that enhances HIV infectionNadia R Roan
Gladstone Institute of Virology and Immunology, University of California, San Francisco, California, USA Department of Urology, University of California, San Francisco, California, USA
J Virol 88:7221-34. 2014..These studies identify SEM1(86-107) to be a key, HIV-enhancing amyloid species in human semen and underscore the dynamic nature of semen's HIV-enhancing activity...
- The cationic properties of SEVI underlie its ability to enhance human immunodeficiency virus infectionNadia R Roan
Gladstone Institute of Virology and Immunology, University of California, P O Box 419100, San Francisco, CA 94141 9100, USA
J Virol 83:73-80. 2009..Combinations of agents that neutrale SEVI action and produce HIV virucidal effects are an attractive future direction for microbicide development...
- Seminal plasma induces global transcriptomic changes associated with cell migration, proliferation and viability in endometrial epithelial cells and stromal fibroblastsJoseph C Chen
Center for Reproductive Sciences, Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Sciences, University of California, San Francisco, CA, USA
Hum Reprod 29:1255-70. 2014..How does seminal plasma (SP) affect the transcriptome of human primary endometrial epithelial cells (eEC) and stromal fibroblasts (eSF)?..
- Conquering sexually transmitted diseasesMichael N Starnbach
Department of Microbiology and Molecular Genetics, Harvard Medical School, 200 Longwood Avenue, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Nat Rev Immunol 8:313-7. 2008....