Affiliation: University of Arizona
- Effectiveness guidance document (EGD) for Chinese medicine trials: a consensus documentClaudia M Witt
Institute for Complementary and Integrative Medicine, University Hospital Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
Trials 15:169. 2014..It broadly aims to ensure more adequate design and optimal use of resources in generating evidence for CM to inform stakeholder decision-making...
- New perspectives on patient expectations of treatment outcomes: results from qualitative interviews with patients seeking complementary and alternative medicine treatments for chronic low back painClarissa Hsu
Group Health Research Institute, Seattle, USA
BMC Complement Altern Med 14:276. 2014..The goal of this qualitative paper is to provide new perspectives on the outcome expectations of patients prior to receiving CAM therapies for chronic low back pain...
- Cognitive interviews guide design of a new CAM patient expectations questionnaireKaren J Sherman
Group Health Research Institute, 1730 Minor Avenue, Suite 1600, Seattle WA 98101, USA
BMC Complement Altern Med 14:39. 2014..We undertook cognitive interviews as part of a process to develop and validate such a questionnaire...
- Complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) providers' views of chronic low back pain patients' expectations of CAM therapies: a qualitative studyLisa M Schafer
Center for Community Health and Evaluation, Group Health Research Institute, 1730 Minor Avenue, Suite 1600, Seattle, WA 98101, USA
BMC Complement Altern Med 12:234. 2012..However, there is a paucity of research on CAM providers' views of their patients' expectations regarding CAM therapy and the role of these expectations in patient outcomes...
- Effectiveness Guidance Document (EGD) for acupuncture research - a consensus document for conducting trialsClaudia M Witt
Institute for Social Medicine, Epidemiology and Health Economics, Charite University Medical Center, Berlin, Germany
BMC Complement Altern Med 12:148. 2012..The aim of this EGD is to provide specific recommendations for the design of prospective acupuncture studies to support optimal use of resources for generating evidence that will inform stakeholder decision-making...
- Comparative effectiveness of traditional Chinese medicine and psychosocial care in the treatment of temporomandibular disorders-associated chronic facial painCheryl Ritenbaugh
Departments of Family and Community Medicine and Anthropology, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ, USA
J Pain 13:1075-89. 2012..Similar designs may also apply to evaluations of other kinds of chronic pain. (ClinicalTrials.gov number NCT00856167)...
- Randomized trial of Tapas Acupressure Technique for weight loss maintenanceCHARLES R ELDER
Kaiser Permanente Center for Health Research, 3800 N, Interstate Ave, Portland, OR 97227, USA
BMC Complement Altern Med 12:19. 2012..This randomized clinical trial tested the efficacy of a novel mind and body technique for weight-loss maintenance...
- Developing a patient-centered outcome measure for complementary and alternative medicine therapies II: refining content validity through cognitive interviewsJennifer J Thompson
Division of Biological Sciences, University of Georgia, Athens, GA, USA
BMC Complement Altern Med 11:136. 2011..Here we present the development of the final version in which the content and format is refined through cognitive interviews...
- Developing a patient-centered outcome measure for complementary and alternative medicine therapies I: defining content and formatCheryl Ritenbaugh
Department of Family and Community Medicine, The University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ, USA
BMC Complement Altern Med 11:135. 2011..Here we describe Phase I of our research program, the iterative process of content identification, item development and refinement, and response format selection. Cognitive interviews and psychometric evaluation are reported separately...
- Researching complementary and alternative treatments--the gatekeepers are not at homeVinjar Fønnebø
National Research Center in Complementary and Alternative Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Tromsø, N 9037 Tromsø, Norway
BMC Med Res Methodol 7:7. 2007..To explore the strengths and weaknesses of conventional biomedical research strategies and methods as applied to complementary and alternative medicine (CAM), and to suggest a new research framework for assessing these treatment modalities...
- Acupuncture and chiropractic care for chronic pain in an integrated health plan: a mixed methods studyLynn L DeBar
Kaiser Permanente, The Center for Health Research, Portland, Oregon, USA
BMC Complement Altern Med 11:118. 2011....
- A pilot whole systems clinical trial of traditional Chinese medicine and naturopathic medicine for the treatment of temporomandibular disordersCheryl Ritenbaugh
Department of Family and Community Medicine, The University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ 85719, USA
J Altern Complement Med 14:475-87. 2008....
- Conjugated equine estrogens and colorectal cancer incidence and survival: the Women's Health Initiative randomized clinical trialCheryl Ritenbaugh
University of Arizona College of Medicine, Tucson, Arizona 85719, USA
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 17:2609-18. 2008..We now analyze features of the colorectal cancers that developed and examine the survival of women following colorectal cancer diagnosis in the latter trial...
- Osteoporosis and rate of bone loss among postmenopausal survivors of breast cancerZhao Chen
Mel and Enid Zuckerman College of Public Health, University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona 85724, USA
Cancer 104:1520-30. 2005..Breast cancer diagnosis and treatment may put women at higher risk for osteoporosis in later life...
- Expression and ambivalence over expression of negative emotion: cross-sectional associations with psychosocial factors and health-related quality of life in postmenopausal womenYvonne L Michael
Department of Public Health and Preventive Medicine, School of Medicine, Oregon Health and Science University, 3181 SW Sam Jackson Park Road, CB 669, Portland, OR 97239 3098, USA
J Women Aging 18:25-40. 2006..In general, our analysis supports prior studies suggesting that ambivalence may be more important to consider in studies of health-related outcomes than expression...
- Description of a clinical stream of back-pain patients based on electronic medical recordsMikel Aickin
Department of Family and Community Medicine, University of Arizona, Tucson, USA
Complement Ther Clin Pract 19:158-76. 2013..Between two-thirds and three-quarters of multiple CAM service users had very simple temporal patterns of use, dominated by use of one type of CAM at a time. ..
- Measuring dietary change in a diet intervention trial: comparing food frequency questionnaire and dietary recallsCynthia A Thomson
University of Arizona, Arizona Cancer Center, Tucson, AZ 85724, USA
Am J Epidemiol 157:754-62. 2003....
- Diet and biomarkers of oxidative damage in women previously treated for breast cancerCynthia A Thomson
Department of Nutritional Sciences, The University of Arizona, Tucson 85721 0038, USA
Nutr Cancer 51:146-54. 2005..The results of this nested case-controlled study provide potential mechanisms by which a high fruit and vegetable, low-fat diet might reduce the recurrence rate of or early-stage breast cancer...
- Narrative review of yoga intervention clinical trials including weight-related outcomesJennifer Grace Rioux
Department of Family and Community Medicine, University of Arizona, AZ, USA
Altern Ther Health Med 19:32-46. 2013..Research on the effectiveness of yoga as a treatment for obesity is limited, and studies vary in overall quality and methodological rigor...
- The process of whole person healing: "unstuckness" and beyondMary Koithan
Department of Medicine Program in Integrative Medicine, The University of Arizona, Arizona Health Sciences Center, Tucson, AZ, USA
J Altern Complement Med 13:659-68. 2007..The aim was to develop an understanding of "unstuckness," including characterization of states, processes, and modifying factors...
- Families United/Familias Unidas: family group office visits to reduce risk factors for type 2 diabetesRanda M Kutob
Randa M Kutob, MPH, Department of Family and Community Medicine, Arizona Health Sciences Center, University of Arizona College of Medicine, PO Box 245052, Tucson, AZ 85724, USA
Diabetes Educ 40:191-201. 2014..The purpose of the Families United/Familias Unidas study was to evaluate the feasibility and efficacy of group office visits on reducing diabetes risk in a multiethnic, primary care population...
- Intervention in overweight children improves body mass index (BMI) and physical activityViolet Siwik
Department of Family and Community Medicine, University of Arizona College of Medicine, Tucson, AZ 85719, USA
J Am Board Fam Med 26:126-37. 2013..We implemented and evaluated a group office-visit intervention by family physicians for overweight children and their parents, emphasizing nutrition and physical activity within a resiliency psychosocial model...
- Families United/Familias Unidas: development and implementation of a family-based group office visit model for the primary prevention of type 2 diabetesViolet Perez Siwik
University of Arizona College of Medicine, Arizona Health Sciences Center, Tucson, AZ 85724, USA
Diabetes Educ 38:811-21. 2012..The group outpatient visit model can provide a means to address prevention issues in a financially sustainable manner...
- Expression and ambivalence over expression of negative emotion:psychometric analysis in the Women's Health InitiativeYvonne L Michael
Department of Public Health and Preventive Medicine, School of Medicine, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, OR 97239 3098, USA
J Women Aging 17:5-18. 2005....
- Fracture risk among breast cancer survivors: results from the Women's Health Initiative Observational StudyZhao Chen
Division of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Zuckerman College of Public Health, University of Arizona, PO Box 245203, 1540 E Drachman, Tucson, AZ 85724, USA
Arch Intern Med 165:552-8. 2005..We tested the hypothesis in the Women's Health Initiative Observational Study that postmenopausal survivors of breast cancer have a higher risk for fractures compared with women who have no cancer history...
- Hibiscus sabdariffa L. in the treatment of hypertension and hyperlipidemia: a comprehensive review of animal and human studiesAllison L Hopkins
Department of Family and Community Medicine, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ 85724, USA
Fitoterapia 85:84-94. 2013....
- On the importance of using multiple methods of dietary assessmentLoki Natarajan
Cancer Center, University of California, San Diego, California 92093 0645, USA
Epidemiology 15:738-45. 2004....
- Advances in CAM Clinical Research MethodologyCheryl Ritenbaugh; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- Choices: Family Physicians Treat Overweight ChildrenCheryl Ritenbaugh; Fiscal Year: 2006..Children will be eligible for participation who are above the 90th percentile of BMI for age, and who can have the regular participation of at least one parent or guardian. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Preventing CVD in Native Populations: Traditional LivingCheryl Ritenbaugh; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Developing Patient-Centered Measures for Outcomes of CAM TherapiesCheryl K Ritenbaugh; Fiscal Year: 2010....