Dena E Rifkin
Affiliation: University of California
- Blood pressure components and decline in kidney function in community-living older adults: the Cardiovascular Health StudyDena E Rifkin
Divisions of Nephrology and of Family and Preventive Medicine, University of California, San Diego, and Veterans Affairs Medical Center, San Diego, CA, USA
Am J Hypertens 26:1037-44. 2013....
- Linking clinic and home: a randomized, controlled clinical effectiveness trial of real-time, wireless blood pressure monitoring for older patients with kidney disease and hypertensionDena E Rifkin
Division of Nephrology, University of California, San Diego, CA, USA
Blood Press Monit 18:8-15. 2013..Telemonitoring interventions, however, have not targeted older, less technologically-skilled populations...
- Renal artery calcification and mortality among clinically asymptomatic adultsDena E Rifkin
Division of Preventive Medicine, University of California, San Diego School of Medicine, San Diego, California 92161, USA
J Am Coll Cardiol 60:1079-85. 2012..The goal of this study was to assess the associations between renal artery calcification (RAC) and mortality in a healthy outpatient cohort with no known cardiovascular disease (CVD)...
- Albuminuria, impaired kidney function and cardiovascular outcomes or mortality in the elderlyDena E Rifkin
Tufts Medical Center and Tufts University School of Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, USA
Nephrol Dial Transplant 25:1560-7. 2010..Kidney disease is a risk factor for mortality and cardiovascular disease in older adults, but the separate and combined effects of albuminuria and cystatin C, a novel marker of glomerular filtration, are not known...
- Association between baseline kidney function and change in CRP: an analysis of the cardiovascular health studyDena E Rifkin
Division of Nephrology, University of California, San Diego and Veterans Affair Hospital, San Diego, CA 92093 9111, USA
Nephron Clin Pract 115:c114-21. 2010..In cross-sectional analyses, C-reactive protein (CRP) levels are inversely related to levels of kidney function. The relationship between kidney function and subsequent changes in CRP is unknown...
- Medication adherence behavior and priorities among older adults with CKD: a semistructured interview studyDena E Rifkin
University of California, San Diego, and San Diego VA Medical Center, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Am J Kidney Dis 56:439-46. 2010..Older adults with chronic kidney disease (CKD) typically use more than 5 medications and have multiple prescribing physicians. However, little is known about how they prioritize their medical conditions or decide which medications to take...
- Kidney function and mortality in octogenarians: Cardiovascular Health Study All StarsShani Shastri
Division of Nephrology, University of Texas Southwestern, Dallas, Texas 75390, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 60:1201-7. 2012..To examine the association between kidney function and all-cause mortality in octogenarians...
- Cystatin C, albuminuria, and mortality among older adults with diabetesIan H De Boer
University of Washington, Seattle, Washington, USA
Diabetes Care 32:1833-8. 2009..Joint associations of albuminuria and impaired GFR with mortality have not been comprehensively evaluated in this population...
- Apolipoprotein E and kidney function in older adultsRebecca Kurnik Seshasai
Division of Nephrology, Department of Medicine, Tufts Medical Center, Boston, MA 02111, USA
Clin Nephrol 78:174-80. 2012..We evaluated the associations of apolipoprotein E alleles with kidney function among older adults in the cardiovascular health study (CHS)...
- Rapid kidney function decline and mortality risk in older adultsDena E Rifkin
Division of Nephrology, Tufts Medical Center, 750 Washington St, Box 391, Boston, MA 02111, USA
Arch Intern Med 168:2212-8. 2008..It remains unknown, however, whether longitudinal declines in kidney function are independently associated with increased cardiovascular and all-cause mortality in older adults...
- Associations between coronary calcification on chest radiographs and mortality in hemodialysis patientsJoseph A Abdelmalek
Division of Nephrology, Department of Medicine, University of California San Diego, CA 92161, USA
Am J Kidney Dis 60:990-7. 2012..We determined the prevalence of CAC and AAC visible on plain chest radiographs and their associations with mortality in our dialysis population...
- Interdialytic creatinine change versus predialysis creatinine as indicators of nutritional status in maintenance hemodialysisCarl P Walther
Department of Medicine, University of California San Diego, San Diego, CA, USA
Nephrol Dial Transplant 27:771-6. 2012..Predialysis creatinine levels are associated with mortality risk but may be influenced by both muscle mass and dialysis dose. This might be overcome by examining the rate of rise in creatinine between dialysis sessions...
- Influence of patients' coronary artery calcium on subsequent medication use patternsJennifer Schwartz
San Diego State University University of California, San Diego, Joint Doctoral Program in Public Health, San Diego, CA, USA
Am J Health Behav 36:628-38. 2012..To determine whether information on the presence and extent of coronary artery calcium (CAC) is associated with the likelihood of physicians' prescribing preventive therapies...
- Chronic kidney disease: an inherent risk factor for acute kidney injury?Prabhleen Singh
Division of Nephrology Hypertension, University of California, San Diego, CA 92161, USA
Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 5:1690-5. 2010..Moreover, certain elements in the pathophysiology of a previously injured kidney may, surprisingly, bear out to be protective against AKI...
- Medication issues in older individuals with CKDDena E Rifkin
Veterans Affairs Medical Center, San Diego, CA, USA
Adv Chronic Kidney Dis 17:320-8. 2010..In this review, we outline the risks and benefits of medication use in the CKD population as a specific case within geriatric pharmacoepidemiology as a framework...
- 24-hour urine phosphorus excretion and mortality and cardiovascular eventsHeather L Palomino
School of Medicine, University of California San Diego, San Diego, California 92161, USA
Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 8:1202-10. 2013..However, whether phosphorus restriction influences serum phosphorus concentrations and whether dietary phosphorus is itself associated with CVD or death are uncertain...