B W Riedel
Affiliation: University of Memphis
- Objective sleep measures and subjective sleep satisfaction: how do older adults with insomnia define a good night's sleep?B W Riedel
Department of Psychology, University of Memphis, Tennessee 38152, USA
Psychol Aging 13:159-63. 1998..However, for these sleep variables, relative improvement from Night 1 to Night 2 predicted greater subjective satisfaction...
- Ethnic differences in smoking withdrawal effects among adolescentsBrant W Riedel
University of Memphis Center for Community Health, 5350 Poplar Avenue, Suite 550, Memphis, TN 38119, USA
Addict Behav 28:129-40. 2003..Participants who chose to use nicotine replacement during the quit attempt were more likely to report difficulty concentrating, restlessness, and feeling miserable...
- Occult sleep apnea in a recruited sample of older adults with insomniaK L Lichstein
Department of Psychology, University of Memphis, Tennessee 38152 6400, USA
J Consult Clin Psychol 67:405-10. 1999..Using PSG evaluations in research on insomnia in recruited older adults is requisite to preclude substantial representation of occult SA...
- Primary versus secondary insomnia in older adults: subjective sleep and daytime functioningK L Lichstein
Department of Psychology, The University of Memphis, Tennessee 38152 3230, USA
Psychol Aging 16:264-71. 2001..Further analyses found substantial independence between sleep and daytime functioning. Implications of these findings for the clinical management of SI are discussed...
- Relaxation and sleep compression for late-life insomnia: a placebo-controlled trialK L Lichstein
Department of Psychology, University of Memphis and Methodist Healthcare of Memphis, Tennessee 38152 3230, USA
J Consult Clin Psychol 69:227-39. 2001..Strong methodological features including a placebo condition and a treatment implementation scheme elevate the confidence due these findings...
- Strategies for evaluating adherence to sleep restriction treatment for insomniaB W Riedel
The University of Memphis Prevention Center, TN 38119, USA
Behav Res Ther 39:201-12. 2001..89 min (SD=31.72). Greater consistency of time spent in bed per night and a more consistent arising time predicted a better treatment outcome. Measures of degree of bedtime reduction did not predict treatment outcome...
- The Mackworth Clock Test: a computerized versionK L Lichstein
Department of Psychology, The University of Memphis, TN 38152 6400, USA
J Psychol 134:153-61. 2000..MCT data were collected from 25 undergraduate students; their performance was found to be equivalent to Mackworth's participants' data. This is the first MCT version that has been validated against the original...
- Quantitative criteria for insomniaK L Lichstein
Department of Psychology, University of Memphis, TN 38152 3230, USA
Behav Res Ther 41:427-45. 2003..We found that severity of sleep onset latency or wake time after sleep onset of: (a) > or =31 min; (b) occurring > or =3 nights a week; (c) for > or =6 months are the most defensible quantitative criteria for insomnia...
- "Start to stop": results of a randomised controlled trial of a smoking cessation programme for teensL A Robinson
The University of Memphis Department of Psychology, 202 Psychology Building, Memphis, TN 38152 3230, USA
Tob Control 12:IV26-33. 2003..To examine the feasibility, acceptability, and effectiveness of a school based smoking cessation programme among students caught smoking at school...
- What motivates adolescent smokers to make a quit attempt?Brant W Riedel
Office of Research and Evaluation, Memphis City Schools, University of Memphis Center for Community Health, 2597 Avery Avenue, Memphis, TN 38112, USA
Drug Alcohol Depend 68:167-74. 2002..African Americans were more likely than Whites to list current health concern as the most important motivator...
- Characteristics of adolescents caught with cigarettes at school: implications for developing smoking cessation programsBrant W Riedel
MCS Office of Research and Evaluation, Center for Community Health, University of Memphis, Room 114, 2597 Avery Avenue, Memphis, TN 38112, USA
Nicotine Tob Res 4:351-4. 2002..However, questionable strategies (e.g., increasing caffeine consumption) had been used during previous quit attempts. The implications for developing school-based smoking cessation programs are discussed...