Joshua S Richman
Affiliation: University of Alabama at Birmingham
- Toward prospective identification of high-risk surgical patientsJoshua S Richman
C SMART, Birmingham Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Birmingham, Alabama 35222, USA
Am Surg 78:755-60. 2012..Adverse postoperative events are concentrated among patients identifiable preoperatively as high risk. Preoperative risk assessment could allow for efficient interventions targeted to high-risk patients...
- The QUIT-PRIMO provider-patient Internet-delivered smoking cessation referral intervention: a cluster-randomized comparative effectiveness trial: study protocolThomas K Houston
Division of Health Informatics and Implementation Science, Quantitative Health Sciences and Medicine, University of Massachusetts Medical School, Worcester, MA, USA
Implement Sci 5:87. 2010....
- Practices participating in a dental PBRN have substantial and advantageous diversity even though as a group they have much in common with dentists at largeSonia K Makhija
Department of General Dental Sciences, School of Dentistry, University of Alabama, Birmingham, Birmingham, AL, USA
BMC Oral Health 9:26. 2009..Our objective was to determine whether we met a key objective for The Dental Practice-Based Research Network (DPBRN): to recruit a diverse range of practitioner-investigators interested in doing DPBRN studies...
- Does delayed measurement affect patient reports of provider performance? Implications for performance measurement of medical assistance with tobacco cessation: a Dental PBRN studyThomas K Houston
Deep South Center on Effectiveness Research, a VA HSR and D REAP, Birmingham VA Medical Center, Birmingham, AL, USA
BMC Health Serv Res 8:100. 2008..Current standards, e.g. HEDIS, use delayed patient measures that may over or under-estimate overall performance...
- Association between Surgical Care Improvement Program venous thromboembolism measures and postoperative eventsLaura K Altom
The Center for Surgical, Medical Acute care Research and Transitions, Birmingham Veterans Administration Hospital, Birmingham, AL 35294, USA
Am J Surg 204:591-7. 2012..There are little data on whether these measures reduce VTE rates. This study proposed to examine associations between SCIP-VTE adherence and VTE rates...
- Timing of surgical antibiotic prophylaxis and the risk of surgical site infectionMary T Hawn
Birmingham Center for Surgical and Medical Acute Care Research and Transitions, Birmingham Veterans Administration Hospital, Birmingham, Alabama, USA
JAMA Surg 148:649-57. 2013..OBJECTIVE; To determine whether prophylactic antibiotic timing is associated with SSI occurrence...
- Risk of major adverse cardiac events following noncardiac surgery in patients with coronary stentsMary T Hawn
Center for Surgical, Medical Acute Care Research and Transitions C SMART, Birmingham Veterans Administration Hospital, Birmingham, Alabama, USA
JAMA 310:1462-72. 2013..The evidence underlying these recommendations is limited and conflicting...
- Improved outcomes associated with a revised quality measure for continuing perioperative β-blockadeJoshua S Richman
Center for Surgical, Medical Acute care Research and Transitions, Birmingham Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Birmingham, Alabama2Section of Gastrointestinal Surgery, Department of Surgery, University of Alabama at Birmingham
JAMA Surg 149:1031-7. 2014..The Surgical Care Improvement Project perioperative β-blocker (BB) (SCIP-BB) continuation measure was revised in 2012 to incorporate inpatient BB continuation after discharge from the postanesthesia care unit...
- Improved adverse postoperative outcomes with revised American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association guidelines for patients with cardiac stentsLaura A Graham
Center for Surgical, Medical Acute Care Research, and Transitions, Birmingham Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Birmingham, Alabama2Section of Gastrointestinal Surgery, Department of Surgery, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham
JAMA Surg 149:1113-20. 2014....
- Effect of elective inguinal hernia repair on urinary symptom burden in menRhiannon D Reed
Center for Surgical, Medical Acute care Research and Transitions, VAMC, Birmingham, AL, USA Department of Surgery, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL, USA
Am J Surg 208:180-6. 2014..Our study sought to examine the prevalence of urinary symptoms in men undergoing hernia repair and whether there is an association between symptoms and short-term outcomes...
- Geographic variation of epilepsy for older Americans: how close to the geographic variation of stroke?Maria Pisu
Division of Preventive Medicine, Department of Medicine, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama 35294 4410, USA
Epilepsia 53:2186-93. 2012....
- Preoperative oral antibiotics reduce surgical site infection following elective colorectal resectionsJamie A Cannon
Department of Surgery, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama, USA
Dis Colon Rectum 55:1160-6. 2012..Currently, the administration of oral antibiotics is controversial and considered ineffective without mechanical bowel preparation...