Joshua S Richman
Affiliation: University of Alabama at Birmingham
- Toward prospective identification of high-risk surgical patientsJoshua S Richman
C SMART, Birmingham Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Birmingham, Alabama 35222, USA
Am Surg 78:755-60. 2012..Adverse postoperative events are concentrated among patients identifiable preoperatively as high risk. Preoperative risk assessment could allow for efficient interventions targeted to high-risk patients...
- The QUIT-PRIMO provider-patient Internet-delivered smoking cessation referral intervention: a cluster-randomized comparative effectiveness trial: study protocolThomas K Houston
Division of Health Informatics and Implementation Science, Quantitative Health Sciences and Medicine, University of Massachusetts Medical School, Worcester, MA, USA
Implement Sci 5:87. 2010....
- Practices participating in a dental PBRN have substantial and advantageous diversity even though as a group they have much in common with dentists at largeSonia K Makhija
Department of General Dental Sciences, School of Dentistry, University of Alabama, Birmingham, Birmingham, AL, USA
BMC Oral Health 9:26. 2009..Our objective was to determine whether we met a key objective for The Dental Practice-Based Research Network (DPBRN): to recruit a diverse range of practitioner-investigators interested in doing DPBRN studies...
- Does delayed measurement affect patient reports of provider performance? Implications for performance measurement of medical assistance with tobacco cessation: a Dental PBRN studyThomas K Houston
Deep South Center on Effectiveness Research, a VA HSR and D REAP, Birmingham VA Medical Center, Birmingham, AL, USA
BMC Health Serv Res 8:100. 2008..Current standards, e.g. HEDIS, use delayed patient measures that may over or under-estimate overall performance...
- Association between Surgical Care Improvement Program venous thromboembolism measures and postoperative eventsLaura K Altom
The Center for Surgical, Medical Acute care Research and Transitions, Birmingham Veterans Administration Hospital, Birmingham, AL 35294, USA
Am J Surg 204:591-7. 2012..There are little data on whether these measures reduce VTE rates. This study proposed to examine associations between SCIP-VTE adherence and VTE rates...
- Timing of surgical antibiotic prophylaxis and the risk of surgical site infectionMary T Hawn
Birmingham Center for Surgical and Medical Acute Care Research and Transitions, Birmingham Veterans Administration Hospital, Birmingham, Alabama, USA
JAMA Surg 148:649-57. 2013..OBJECTIVE; To determine whether prophylactic antibiotic timing is associated with SSI occurrence...
- Geographic variation of epilepsy for older Americans: how close to the geographic variation of stroke?Maria Pisu
Division of Preventive Medicine, Department of Medicine, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama 35294 4410, USA
Epilepsia 53:2186-93. 2012....
- Preoperative oral antibiotics reduce surgical site infection following elective colorectal resectionsJamie A Cannon
Department of Surgery, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama, USA
Dis Colon Rectum 55:1160-6. 2012..Currently, the administration of oral antibiotics is controversial and considered ineffective without mechanical bowel preparation...