Michael A Repka
Affiliation: University of Mississippi
- Kallakunta V, Tiwari R, Sarabu S, Bandari S, Repka M. Effect of formulation and process variables on lipid based sustained release tablets via continuous twin screw granulation: A comparative study. Eur J Pharm Sci. 2018;121:126-138 pubmed publisher..These findings of a single-step, continuous twin-screw granulation process are novel and demonstrate new opportunities for development of sustained release tablets. ..
- Bhagurkar A, Angamuthu M, Patil H, Tiwari R, Maurya A, Hashemnejad S, et al. Development of an Ointment Formulation Using Hot-Melt Extrusion Technology. AAPS PharmSciTech. 2016;17:158-66 pubmed publisher..This study demonstrates a novel application of the hot-melt extrusion process in the manufacturing of topical semi-solids. ..
- Vo A, Feng X, Morott J, Pimparade M, Tiwari R, Zhang F, et al. A novel floating controlled release drug delivery system prepared by hot-melt extrusion. Eur J Pharm Biopharm. 2016;98:108-21 pubmed publisher..Understanding the variables' effects on the formulations allows for the tailoring of this delivery system to obtain various drug release profiles. ..
- Ye X, Patil H, Feng X, Tiwari R, Lu J, Gryczke A, et al. Conjugation of Hot-Melt Extrusion with High-Pressure Homogenization: a Novel Method of Continuously Preparing Nanocrystal Solid Dispersions. AAPS PharmSciTech. 2016;17:78-88 pubmed publisher..EFZ NCSD was found to be highly stable after storage for 6Â months. In summary, the conjugation of HPH with HME technology was demonstrated to be a promising novel method for the production of NCSDs. ..
- Pimparade M, Morott J, Park J, Kulkarni V, Majumdar S, Murthy S, et al. Development of taste masked caffeine citrate formulations utilizing hot melt extrusion technology and in vitro-in vivo evaluations. Int J Pharm. 2015;487:167-76 pubmed publisher..The lead extrudate formulations and the ODTs prepared using this formulation were subjected to human gustatory evaluation. The formulations were found to mask the unpleasant taste of caffeine citrate significantly. ..
- Mididoddi P, Repka M. Characterization of hot-melt extruded drug delivery systems for onychomycosis. Eur J Pharm Biopharm. 2007;66:95-105 pubmed..The predictions of the solubility parameters were in agreement with DSC, XRD and SEM results. Bioadhesion measurements of the film on the human nail substrate were generally higher for the etched nails than that of the control nails. ..
- Alshetaili A, Almutairy B, Tiwari R, Morott J, Alshehri S, Feng X, et al. Preparation and Evaluation of Hot-Melt Extruded Patient-Centric Ketoprofen Mini-Tablets. Curr Drug Deliv. 2016;13:730-41 pubmed..The reduced drug release at salivary pH correlated well with Astree e-Tongue studies for taste masking efficiency. ..
- Alshahrani S, Morott J, Alshetaili A, Tiwari R, Majumdar S, Repka M. Influence of degassing on hot-melt extrusion process. Eur J Pharm Sci. 2015;80:43-52 pubmed publisher..Employing a degassing unit during hot-melt extrusion processing could help increase process efficacy and product quality. ..
- Repka M, Mididoddi P, Stodghill S. Influence of human nail etching for the assessment of topical onychomycosis therapies. Int J Pharm. 2004;282:95-106 pubmed..These findings are encouraging for the future design and formulation of novel drug delivery systems for the topical treatment of onychomycosis. ..
- Zhang J, Feng X, Patil H, Tiwari R, Repka M. Coupling 3D printing with hot-melt extrusion to produce controlled-release tablets. Int J Pharm. 2017;519:186-197 pubmed publisher..In addition, formulations can be made based on the personal needs of patients. ..
- Pimparade M, Vo A, Maurya A, Bae J, Morott J, Feng X, et al. Development and evaluation of an oral fast disintegrating anti-allergic film using hot-melt extrusion technology. Eur J Pharm Biopharm. 2017;119:81-90 pubmed publisher..An animal model was employed to determine the taste masking of melt-extruded films. The lead film formulation was subjected to a human panel for evaluation of extent of taste masking and disintegration. ..
- Vo A, Feng X, Pimparade M, Ye X, Kim D, Martin S, et al. Dual-mechanism gastroretentive drug delivery system loaded with an amorphous solid dispersion prepared by hot-melt extrusion. Eur J Pharm Sci. 2017;102:71-84 pubmed publisher..Felodipine (PubChem CID: 3333); hypromellose (PubChem CID: 57503849), hydroxypropyl cellulose (PubChem CID: 71306830), sodium bicarbonate (PubChem CID: 516892); sodium carbonate (PubChem CID: 10340). ..
- Mendonsa N, Murthy S, Hashemnejad S, Kundu S, Zhang F, Repka M. Development of poloxamer gel formulations via hot-melt extrusion technology. Int J Pharm. 2018;537:122-131 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, the hot-melt extrusion technology could be successfully employed to develop poloxamer gels by overcoming the drawbacks associated with the conventional techniques. ..
- Tiwari R, Polk A, Patil H, Ye X, Pimparade M, Repka M. Rat Palatability Study for Taste Assessment of Caffeine Citrate Formulation Prepared via Hot-Melt Extrusion Technology. AAPS PharmSciTech. 2017;18:341-348 pubmed publisher..Thus, this rat model can be considered as a low-cost alternative taste-assessment method to the most commonly used expensive human taste panel/electronic tongue method for pediatric formulations. ..
- Repka M, ElSohly M, Munjal M, Ross S. Temperature stability and bioadhesive properties of delta9-tetrahydrocannabinol incorporated hydroxypropylcellulose polymer matrix systems. Drug Dev Ind Pharm. 2006;32:21-32 pubmed
- Repka M, Bandari S, Kallakunta V, Vo A, McFall H, Pimparade M, et al. Melt extrusion with poorly soluble drugs - An integrated review. Int J Pharm. 2018;535:68-85 pubmed publisher..Overall, this review also provides an outline for the currently marketed products and analyzes the strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats of HME application in the pharmaceutical industry. ..
- Mendonsa N, Thipsay P, Kim D, Martin S, Repka M. Bioadhesive Drug Delivery System for Enhancing the Permeability of a BCS Class III Drug via Hot-Melt Extrusion Technology. AAPS PharmSciTech. 2017;18:2639-2647 pubmed publisher..Hot-melt extrusion technology was successfully employed to formulate buccal tablets of ondansetron hydrochloride. ..