Affiliation: University of California
- Second-generation antipsychotic exposure and metabolic-related disorders in patients with schizophrenia: an observational pharmacoepidemiology study from 1988 to 2002Christopher Reist
Long Beach VA Healthcare Systm, CA 90822, USA
J Clin Psychopharmacol 27:46-51. 2007..This is likely to significantly add to an already elevated risk for cardiovascular disease in this population. Further investigations are urgently required so that health policy can be appropriately amended for preventive measures...
- Novelty seeking and the dopamine D4 receptor gene (DRD4) revisited in Asians: haplotype characterization and relevance of the 2-repeat alleleChristopher Reist
Biomarker and Clinical Pharmacology Unit, Long Beach VA Healthcare System, Long Beach, California 90822, USA
Am J Med Genet B Neuropsychiatr Genet 144:453-7. 2007..This study suggests that genetic association analyses can benefit by consideration of the shared functional and evolutionary attributes of the DRD4 2R and 7R alleles...
- Inter-relationships of intermediate phenotypes for serotonin function, impulsivity, and a 5-HT2A candidate allele: His452TyrC Reist
Department of Psychiatry, Long Beach Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Long Beach, CA 90822, USA
Mol Psychiatry 9:871-8. 2004..10), suggesting that further study is warranted...
- Impulsive aggressive behavior: open-label treatment with citalopramChristopher Reist
Mental Health Care Group, VA Long Beach Healthcare System and Department of Psychiatry and Human Behavior, University of California, Irvine, USA
J Clin Psychiatry 64:81-5. 2003....
- beta-Adrenergic blockade and emotional memory in PTSDC Reist
Department of Psychiatry, VA Healthcare System, Long Beach, CA 90822, USA
Int J Neuropsychopharmacol 4:377-83. 2001..PTSD and control subjects did not differ in the acquisition and retention of memories under emotionally arousing or emotionally neutral conditions, nor were differential effects of propranolol observed between the two groups...
- Serotonin transporter promoter polymorphism is associated with attenuated prolactin response to fenfluramineC Reist
Department of Psychiatry, Long Beach Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Long Beach, California, USA
Am J Med Genet 105:363-8. 2001..Published 2001 Wiley-Liss, Inc...
- Acute effects of paroxetine on genioglossus activity in obstructive sleep apneaR B Berry
Medical Health Care Group, Long Beach VA Medical Center, University of California, Irvine, USA
Sleep 22:1087-92. 1999..To determine the acute effects of paroxetine on genioglossus activity during NREM sleep...
- Quetiapine for treatment of refractory symptoms of combat-related post-traumatic stress disorderKenneth N Sokolski
Long Beach VA Health Care System, Mental Health Care Group, Long Beach, CA, USA
Mil Med 168:486-9. 2003..Low doses of quetiapine (mean = 155 +/- 130 mg) were associated with minimal side effects. These results, although retrospective, suggest that augmentative quetiapine may benefit some refractory symptoms of PTSD in combat veterans...
- Pharmacogenetics for off-patent antipsychotics: reframing the risk for tardive dyskinesia and access to essential medicinesVural Ozdemir
VA Long Beach Healthcare System, Southern California Institute for Research and Education, Department of Psychiatry and Human Behavior, College of Medicine, University of California, Irvine, Long Beach, CA 90822, USA
Expert Opin Pharmacother 7:119-33. 2006..This review discusses pharmacogenetic associations of tardive dyskinesia that are in part supported by meta-analyses and the oxidative stress-neuronal degeneration hypothesis...
- Effects of olanzapine, risperidone and haloperidol on prepulse inhibition in schizophrenia patients: a double-blind, randomized controlled trialJonathan K Wynn
Department of Psychiatry and Biobehavioral Sciences, University of California, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Schizophr Res 95:134-42. 2007..The results are discussed in terms of animal models, neural substrates, and treatment implications...
- CYP2D6 genotype in relation to perphenazine concentration and pituitary pharmacodynamic tissue sensitivity in Asians: CYP2D6-serotonin-dopamine crosstalk revisitedVural Ozdemir
Biomarker and Clinical Pharmacology Unit, VA Long Beach Medical Center, and School of Medicine, University of California Irvine, 3844 East 15th Street, Long Beach, Irvine, CA 90804, USA
Pharmacogenet Genomics 17:339-47. 2007..We prospectively evaluated significance of CYP2D6 genetic variation for prolactin response to perphenazine (a model first-generation antipsychotic) in Asians...
- Low-dose fluvoxamine as an adjunct to reduce olanzapine therapeutic dose requirements: a prospective dose-adjusted drug interaction strategyLawrence J Albers
VA Long Beach Healthcare System, Department of Psychiatry and Human Behavior, College of Medicine, University of California Irvine, CA 90822, USA
J Clin Psychopharmacol 25:170-4. 2005..05). In conclusion, this prospective pilot study suggests that a 26% reduction in olanzapine therapeutic dose requirement may be achieved by coadministration of a nontherapeutic oral dose of fluvoxamine...
- Citalopram combined with behavioral therapy reduces cocaine use: a double-blind, placebo-controlled trialF Gerard Moeller
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Science, University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Am J Drug Alcohol Abuse 33:367-78. 2007..Results of this study support further examination of citalopram in combination with behavioral therapy as a treatment for cocaine dependence...
- Asymmetry in scientific method and limits to cross-disciplinary dialogue: toward a shared language and science policy in pharmacogenomics and human disease geneticsVural Ozdemir
VA Long Beach Medical Center, School of Medicine, University of California, Irvine, Long Beach, CA, USA
J Investig Med 55:130-41. 2007..We emphasize the need for development of shared standards across scientific, methodologic, and socioethical epistemologic divides in the hybrid field of pharmacogenomics to best serve the interests of public health...
- Social cognition in schizophrenia: relationships with neurocognition and negative symptomsMark J Sergi
Department of Psychology, California State University at Northridge, Northridge, CA 91330 8255, USA
Schizophr Res 90:316-24. 2007..The current findings start to provide insights into the structure of social cognition, neurocognition, and negative symptoms in schizophrenia...
- Social cognition [corrected] and neurocognition: effects of risperidone, olanzapine, and haloperidolMark J Sergi
Department of Psychology, California State University, 18111 Nordhoff St, Northridge, CA 91330 8255, USA
Am J Psychiatry 164:1585-92. 2007..This study examined the short-term effects of first- and second-generation antipsychotic medications on social cognition and basic cognition...