Laura S Redwine
Affiliation: University of California
- Lymphocyte responses to stress in postpartum women: relationship to vagal toneL S Redwine
Department of Psychiatry, University of California San Diego, CA 92161, USA
Psychoneuroendocrinology 26:241-51. 2001..To summarize, these findings suggest that lactation and parturition can influence lymphocyte proliferation and that activity in the vagal system may influence lymphocyte responses to stress...
- Cardiac-related hospitalization and/or death associated with immune dysregulation and symptoms of depression in heart failure patientsLaura S Redwine
Department of Medicine, University of California, San Diego, CA, USA
Psychosom Med 69:23-9. 2007..This study examined in CHF patients the relationship of depressive symptoms with cellular immune activity measured by Th1/Th2 ratios and cardiac rehospitalization and/or death...
- A potential shift from adaptive immune activity to nonspecific inflammatory activation associated with higher depression symptoms in chronic heart failure patientsLaura S Redwine
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92161, USA
J Card Fail 15:607-15. 2009..The present study sought to determine the relationship between depression symptoms and chemotaxis of peripheral blood mononuclear cells (PBMCs) in CHF patients, both at rest and in response to moderate exercise...
- Differential immune cell chemotaxis responses to acute psychological stress in Alzheimer caregivers compared to non-caregiver controlsLaura Redwine
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Diego, USA
Psychosom Med 66:770-5. 2004..Correlations between immune cell chemotaxis and epinephrine and norepinephrine levels were also examined...
- Cellular adhesion molecule expression, nocturnal sleep, and partial night sleep deprivationLaura Redwine
Department of Medicine and Veterans Medical Research Foundation, University of California, San Diego, USA
Brain Behav Immun 18:333-40. 2004..These data indicate that acute sleep disruption is associated with alterations in cellular adhesion molecule expression, with implications for the regulation of immune cell trafficking...
- Acute psychological stress: effects on chemotaxis and cellular adhesion molecule expressionLaura Redwine
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Diego, USA
Psychosom Med 65:598-603. 2003..In this study, we examine the effects of an acute psychological stress on chemotactic responses of PBMCs and on CAM expression in relation to measures of sympathetic activation...
- Depression as a potential modulator of Beta-adrenergic-associated leukocyte mobilization in heart failure patientsLaura S Redwine
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, California 92161, USA
J Am Coll Cardiol 56:1720-7. 2010....
- A pilot study exploring the effects of a 12-week t'ai chi intervention on somatic symptoms of depression in patients with heart failureLaura S Redwine
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Diego, CA 92093, USA
J Altern Complement Med 18:744-8. 2012..T'ai chi practice is related to increased emotional well-being in various clinical populations; however, relatively little is known about t'ai chi's effects on somatic versus cognitive symptom dimensions of depression in HF...
- Increases in B-type natriuretic peptide after acute mental stress in heart failure patients are associated with alcohol consumptionPetra H Wirtz
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, California, USA
J Stud Alcohol Drugs 71:786-94. 2010....
- Leukocyte ÃŸ-adrenergic receptor sensitivity and depression severity in patients with heart failureLaura S Redwine
From the Departments of Psychiatry L S R, S H, T R, B W, M P, P J M, and Department of Medicine M G Z, A M, B G, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, California and Research Services L S R, T R, A M, VA San Diego Healthcare System, La Jolla, California
Psychosom Med 76:726-31. 2014..The aim of this study was to determine in patients with HF the relationship of leukocyte Î²-AR sensitivity with two diverse measures of depression, self-report questionnaire versus clinical diagnostic interview...
- Circulating levels of soluble intercellular adhesion molecule-1 (sICAM-1) independently predict depressive symptom severity after 12 months in heart failure patientsPetra H Wirtz
Department of Clinical Psychology and Psychotherapy, Psychological Institute, University of Zurich, Switzerland Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, CA, USA
Brain Behav Immun 24:366-9. 2010..To determine whether inflammatory markers prospectively predict depressive symptom severity 12 months later in heart failure (HF) patients...
- A meta-analysis of mental health treatments and cardiac rehabilitation for improving clinical outcomes and depression among patients with coronary heart diseaseThomas Rutledge
Psychology Service 116B, VA San Diego Healthcare System, 3350 La Jolla Village Drive, San Diego, CA 92161, USA
Psychosom Med 75:335-49. 2013..To quantify the efficacy of mental health (antidepressants & psychotherapies) and cardiac rehabilitation treatments for improving secondary event risk and depression among patients with coronary heart disease (CHD)...
- Complementary and alternative treatments for late-life depression, anxiety, and sleep disturbance: a review of randomized controlled trialsThomas W Meeks
Division of Geriatric Psychiatry, Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Diego, USA
J Clin Psychiatry 68:1461-71. 2007..We reviewed randomized controlled trials of complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) treatments for depression, anxiety, and sleep disturbance in nondemented older adults...
- Nocturnal proinflammatory cytokine-associated sleep disturbances in abstinent African American alcoholicsMichael Irwin
Cousins Center for Psychoneuroimmunology, Neuropsychiatric Institute, University of California, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Brain Behav Immun 18:349-60. 2004..These findings have implications for determining why sleep is disordered in alcoholics and may aid in the development of novel treatments to optimize sleep in this population...
- Physical fitness attenuates leukocyte-endothelial adhesion in response to acute exercisePaul J Mills
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, CA, USA
J Appl Physiol (1985) 101:785-8. 2006..The findings provide evidence of how physical fitness might protect individuals from inflammatory responses to exercise...
- Post-traumatic stress disorder: a fast track to premature cardiovascular disease?Bailey A Wentworth
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Medicine, University of California, San Diego, CA, USA
Cardiol Rev 21:16-22. 2013....
- Effects of spiritual mantram repetition on HIV outcomes: a randomized controlled trialJill E Bormann
VA San Diego Healthcare System, 3350 La Jolla Village Drive 118, San Diego, CA 92161, USA
J Behav Med 29:359-76. 2006....
- Disordered sleep, nocturnal cytokines, and immunity in alcoholicsLaura Redwine
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, USA
Psychosom Med 65:75-85. 2003..This study examined the relationships between sleep, nocturnal expression of immunoregulatory cytokines, and natural killer (NK) cell activity in alcoholic patients as compared with control subjects...
- Effects of faith/assurance on cortisol levels are enhanced by a spiritual mantram intervention in adults with HIV: a randomized trialJill E Bormann
Veterans Affairs San Diego Healthcare System, San Diego, CA 92161, USA
J Psychosom Res 66:161-71. 2009..This study compared the effects of 2 interventions-a spiritually-based mantram intervention versus an attention-matched control group-on faith/assurance and average salivary cortisol levels among HIV-infected individuals...
- Coagulation activity before and after acute psychosocial stress increases with agePetra H Wirtz
Department of Clinical Psychology and Psychotherapy, University of Zurich, Binzmuhlestrasse 14, Box 26, CH 8050 Zurich, Switzerland
Psychosom Med 70:476-81. 2008..However, it is not yet known whether acute stress further increases hypercoagulation in older individuals, and thus may increase their risk for cardiovascular disease (CVD)...
- Aging, CRH Stress Pathways and Atherogenic ProcessesLaura Redwine; Fiscal Year: 2002..This knowledge may ultimately contribute to the development of novel drug therapies. ..
- Tai Chi: Well-Being and Heart FailureLaura Redwine; Fiscal Year: 2007..Health education would be used as a control group rather than usual care to control for social interactions in the other two groups. [unreadable] [unreadable]..