Genomes and Genes
M Z Ratajczak
Affiliation: University of Louisville
- Kucia M, Wysoczynski M, Wu W, Zuba Surma E, Ratajczak J, Ratajczak M. Evidence that very small embryonic-like stem cells are mobilized into peripheral blood. Stem Cells. 2008;26:2083-92 pubmed publisher..Disclosure of potential conflicts of interest is found at the end of this article. ..
- Ratajczak M, Kim C, Wojakowski W, Janowska Wieczorek A, Kucia M, Ratajczak J. Innate immunity as orchestrator of stem cell mobilization. Leukemia. 2010;24:1667-75 pubmed publisher..In this review we will present mounting evidence that innate immunity orchestrates this evolutionarily conserved mechanism of HSPC mobilization. ..
- Gunjal P, Schneider G, Ismail A, Kakar S, Kucia M, Ratajczak M. Evidence for induction of a tumor metastasis-receptive microenvironment for ovarian cancer cells in bone marrow and other organs as an unwanted and underestimated side effect of chemotherapy/radiotherapy. J Ovarian Res. 2015;8:20 pubmed publisher
- Ratajczak M, Ratajczak J. Horizontal transfer of RNA and proteins between cells by extracellular microvesicles: 14Â years later. Clin Transl Med. 2016;5:7 pubmed publisher..In this review we will summarize the impressive progress in this field-14Â years after initial report. ..
- Ratajczak M, Ciechanowicz A, Kucharska Mazur J, Samochowiec J. Stem cells and their potential clinical applications in psychiatric disorders. Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry. 2018;80:3-9 pubmed publisher..However, the main question remains: Will it be possible in the future to modulate the stem cell compartment to reverse psychiatric problems? ..
- Adamiak M, Abdelbaset Ismail A, Moore J, Zhao J, Abdel Latif A, Wysoczynski M, et al. Inducible Nitric Oxide Synthase (iNOS) Is a Novel Negative Regulator of Hematopoietic Stem/Progenitor Cell Trafficking. Stem Cell Rev. 2017;13:92-103 pubmed publisher..Since HO-1 is a negative regulator of cell migration, the inhibitory effects of iNOS identified by us can be at least partially explained by its enhancing the HO-1 level in BM cells. ..
- Ratajczak M, Shin D, Ratajczak J, Kucia M, Bartke A. A novel insight into aging: are there pluripotent very small embryonic-like stem cells (VSELs) in adult tissues overtime depleted in an Igf-1-dependent manner?. Aging (Albany NY). 2010;2:875-83 pubmed..Our preliminary data in long-living Igf-1-signaling-deficient mice show that these animals possess a 3-4 times higher number of VSELs deposited in adult BM, lending support to this novel hypothesis. ..
- Ratajczak M, Kucia M, Liu R, Shin D, Bryndza E, Masternak M, et al. RasGrf1: genomic imprinting, VSELs, and aging. Aging (Albany NY). 2011;3:692-7 pubmed..All this in toto supports a concept that the sperm genome may have a detrimental effect on longevity in mammals. We will discuss a role of RasGrf1 on life span in context of genomic imprinting and VSELs. ..
- Abdelbaset Ismail A, Pędziwiatr D, Suszyńska E, Sluczanowska Glabowska S, Schneider G, Kakar S, et al. Vitamin D3 stimulates embryonic stem cells but inhibits migration and growth of ovarian cancer and teratocarcinoma cell lines. J Ovarian Res. 2016;9:26 pubmed publisher..We postulate that while Vitamin D3 as anticancer drug inhibits proliferation of malignant cells, it may protect normal stem cells that play an important role in development and tissue/organ regeneration. ..
- Ratajczak M, Bartke A, Darzynkiewicz Z. Prolonged Growth Hormone/Insulin/Insulin-like Growth Factor Nutrient Response Signaling Pathway as a Silent Killer of Stem Cells and a Culprit in Aging. Stem Cell Rev. 2017;13:443-453 pubmed publisher..In this context, we can envision nutrient response GH/INS/IGF signaling pathway as a lethal factor for these most primitive stem cells and an important culprit in aging. ..
- Ratajczak M, Shin D, Liu R, Mierzejewska K, Ratajczak J, Kucia M, et al. Very small embryonic/epiblast-like stem cells (VSELs) and their potential role in aging and organ rejuvenation--an update and comparison to other primitive small stem cells isolated from adult tissues. Aging (Albany NY). 2012;4:235-46 pubmed..Finally, while murine BM-derived VSELs have been extensively characterized more work is needed to better characterize these small cells at the molecular level in humans. ..
- Ratajczak M, Ratajczak D, Pędziwiatr D. Extracellular Microvesicles (ExMVs) in Cell to Cell Communication: A Role of Telocytes. Adv Exp Med Biol. 2016;913:41-49 pubmed..Mounting evidence accumulates that telocytes mediate several of their biological effects in several organs by releasing ExMVs enriched in mRNA, miRNA, proteins, and several biological mediators to the target cells. ..
- Ratajczak M. Igf2-H19, an imprinted tandem gene, is an important regulator of embryonic development, a guardian of proliferation of adult pluripotent stem cells, a regulator of longevity, and a 'passkey' to cancerogenesis. Folia Histochem Cytobiol. 2012;50:171-9 pubmed..In this review, we will discuss the biological consequences of changes in Igf2-H19 expression. ..
- SÅ‚uczanowska GÅ‚Ä…bowska S, LaszczyÅ„ska M, Piotrowska K, Grabowska M, GrymuÅ‚a K, Ratajczak M. Caloric restriction increases ratio of estrogen to androgen receptors expression in murine ovaries--potential therapeutic implications. J Ovarian Res. 2015;8:57 pubmed publisher..Thus our observation shed more light on a role of beneficial effect of calorie restriction on female reproduction. ..
- Ratajczak M, Zuba Surma E, Kucia M, Poniewierska A, Suszynska M, Ratajczak J. Pluripotent and multipotent stem cells in adult tissues. Adv Med Sci. 2012;57:1-17 pubmed publisher..These different populations of stem cells will be reviewed in this paper...
- Ratajczak M, Reca R, Wysoczynski M, Yan J, Ratajczak J. Modulation of the SDF-1-CXCR4 axis by the third complement component (C3)--implications for trafficking of CXCR4+ stem cells. Exp Hematol. 2006;34:986-95 pubmed..In this review we will focus on interactions between the SDF-1-CXCR4 axis and the C3 cleavage fragments in a model of mobilization, trafficking, and homing of hematopoietic stem/progenitor cells (HSPC). ..
- Ratajczak M, Zuba Surma E, Wysoczynski M, Wan W, Ratajczak J, Wojakowski W, et al. Hunt for pluripotent stem cell -- regenerative medicine search for almighty cell. J Autoimmun. 2008;30:151-62 pubmed publisher..This review will summarize current approaches and limitations to isolate PSC from adult tissues or, alternatively, to generate it by nuclear reprogramming from already differentiated somatic cells...
- Ratajczak M, Shin D, Liu R, Marlicz W, Tarnowski M, Ratajczak J, et al. Epiblast/germ line hypothesis of cancer development revisited: lesson from the presence of Oct-4+ cells in adult tissues. Stem Cell Rev. 2010;6:307-16 pubmed publisher..However, we are aware that this working hypothesis requires further direct experimental confirmation...
- Ratajczak M, Lee H, Wysoczynski M, Wan W, Marlicz W, Laughlin M, et al. Novel insight into stem cell mobilization-plasma sphingosine-1-phosphate is a major chemoattractant that directs the egress of hematopoietic stem progenitor cells from the bone marrow and its level in peripheral blood increases during mobilization du. Leukemia. 2010;24:976-85 pubmed publisher..We conclude and propose a new paradigm that S1P is a crucial chemoattractant for BM-residing HSPCs and that CC through MAC induces the release of S1P from erythrocytes for optimal egress/mobilization of HSPCs. ..
- Ratajczak M, Ratajczak J. Extracellular Microvesicles as Game Changers in Better Understanding the Complexity of Cellular Interactions-From Bench to Clinical Applications. Am J Med Sci. 2017;354:449-452 pubmed publisher..At the same time, there are ongoing attempts to employ them as delivery vehicles for drugs as well as therapeutics in regenerative medicine, oncology and immunotherapy. ..
- Sielatycka K, Poniewierska Baran A, Nurek K, Torbe A, Ratajczak M. Novel View on Umbilical Cord Blood and Maternal Peripheral Blood-an Evidence for an Increase in the Number of Circulating Stem Cells on Both Sides of the Fetal-Maternal Circulation Barrier. Stem Cell Rev. 2017;13:774-780 pubmed publisher..Based on this observation, we propose that delivery stress is associated with an increase in the number of circulating stem cells, not only on the fetal side but also on the maternal side of the fetal-maternal circulatory barrier. ..
- Ratajczak M, Suszynska M, Borkowska S, Ratajczak J, Schneider G. The role of sphingosine-1 phosphate and ceramide-1 phosphate in trafficking of normal stem cells and cancer cells. Expert Opin Ther Targets. 2014;18:95-107 pubmed publisher..However, additional evidence has accumulated that, in addition to these peptide-based chemoattractants, an important role in cell migration is played by bioactive lipids...
- Ratajczak J, Reca R, Kucia M, Majka M, Allendorf D, Baran J, et al. Mobilization studies in mice deficient in either C3 or C3a receptor (C3aR) reveal a novel role for complement in retention of hematopoietic stem/progenitor cells in bone marrow. Blood. 2004;103:2071-8 pubmed..The C3a-C3aR axis may prevent an uncontrolled release of HSPCs into peripheral blood. These data further suggest that the C3aR antagonist SB 290157 could be developed as a drug to mobilize HSPCs for transplantation...
- Maj M, Schneider G, Ratajczak J, Suszynska M, Kucia M, Ratajczak M. The cell cycle- and insulin-signaling-inhibiting miRNA expression pattern of very small embryonic-like stem cells contributes to their quiescent state. Exp Biol Med (Maywood). 2015;240:1107-11 pubmed publisher..These observations are important for understanding the biology of these cells and for developing efficient ex vivo expansion strategies for VSELs isolated from adult tissues. ..
- Heo J, Lim J, Lee S, Jeong J, Kang H, Kim Y, et al. Sirt1 Regulates DNA Methylation and Differentiation Potential of Embryonic Stem Cells by Antagonizing Dnmt3l. Cell Rep. 2017;18:1930-1945 pubmed publisher..This study sheds light on mechanisms that restrain DNA methylation of developmentally vital genes operating in ESCs. ..
- Adamiak M, Suszynska M, Abdel Latif A, Abdelbaset Ismail A, Ratajczak J, Ratajczak M. The Involvment of Hematopoietic-Specific PLC -Î²2 in Homing and Engraftment of Hematopoietic Stem/Progenitor Cells. Stem Cell Rev. 2016;12:613-620 pubmed..This decrease in migration of HSPCs can be explained by impaired calcium release in PLC-Î²2-KO mice and a high baseline level of heme oxygenase 1 (HO-1), an enzyme that negatively regulates cell migration. ..