Affiliation: University of California
- Heterogeneity in EEG sleep findings in adolescent depression: unipolar versus bipolar clinical courseUma Rao
Department of Psychiatry and Biobehavioral Sciences, UCLA, Los Angeles, CA 90024 1759, USA
J Affect Disord 70:273-80. 2002..This investigation was designed to assess whether some of the observed variability is related to undifferentiated unipolar and bipolar disorders in a sample that was reported previously...
- Continuity of depression during the transition to adulthood: a 5-year longitudinal study of young womenU Rao
Department of Psychology, University of California, Los Angeles, USA
J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 38:908-15. 1999....
- Relationship between ethnicity and sleep patterns in normal controls: implications for psychopathology and treatmentU Rao
Department of Psychiatry, Harbor UCLA Medical Center, Torrance, CA, USA
J Psychiatr Res 33:419-26. 1999....
- Factors associated with the development of substance use disorder in depressed adolescentsU Rao
Department of Psychiatry and Biobehavioral Sciences, UCLA School of Medicine, USA
J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 38:1109-17. 1999..To document rates of substance use disorders (SUD) in adolescents with unipolar major depressive disorder and to examine demographic, clinical, and biological factors associated with the development of SUD...
- REM sleep in depression is influenced by ethnicityR E Poland
Department of Psychiatry, Harbor UCLA Medical Center, Torrance, CA 90509, USA
Psychiatry Res 88:95-105. 1999..Because many antidepressants suppress REM sleep, the differences in baseline REM sleep observed might be related to the greater sensitivity of some ethnic-minority depressed patients to pharmacotherapy...
- Relationship between depression and substance use disorders in adolescent women during the transition to adulthoodU Rao
Department of Psychology, University of California, Los Angeles 90024 1759, USA
J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 39:215-22. 2000..Furthermore, to examine concurrent and longitudinal relationships' between major depressive disorder (MDD) and SUD during this developmental transition...
- The context of depression in clinic-referred youth: neglected areas in treatmentC Hammen
Department of Psychology, University of California, Los Angeles 90095, USA
J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 38:64-71. 1999....
- Predictors of first onset and recurrence of major depression in young women during the 5 years following high school graduationS E Daley
Department of Psychology, University of Southern California 90089 1061, USA
J Abnorm Psychol 109:525-33. 2000..Prior lifetime MD interacted with both chronic stress and parental psychopathology to predict MD, such that first onsets, but not recurrences, were predicted by these risk variables...
- Comparison of long-term immunosuppression for limb transplantation using cyclosporine, tacrolimus, and mycophenolate mofetil: implications for clinical composite tissue transplantationN F Jones
UCLA Hand Center, the Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Los Angeles, California, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 107:777-84. 2001..Combination immunosuppression with FK-506 and RS-61443, therefore, may be required to allow composite tissue transplantation to become a predictable clinical reality in the future...
- The pharmacotherapy of depressive illness in adolescents: an open-label comparison of fluoxetine with imipramine-treated historical controlsM Strober
Department of Psychiatry and Biobehavioral Sciences, and the Neuropsychiatric Institute and Hospital, School of Medicine, University of California at Los Angeles, 90024 1759, USA
J Clin Psychiatry 60:164-9. 1999..This open-label, 6-week clinical trial investigated the response to fluoxetine in medication-naive adolescents hospitalized for treatment of major depression...
- Effect of bupropion-SR on REM sleep: relationship to antidepressant responseGeoffrey E Ott
Interdepartmental Training Program for Neuroscience, UCLA, Los Angeles, CA 90024, USA
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 165:29-36. 2002..CONCLUSIONS: These findings suggest that bupropion's effect on REM latency and its AD action might be linked, possibly via dopamine (D(2)) receptor-mediated effects, or by noradrenergic mechanism(s)...
- Effect of treatment with bupropion on EEG sleep: relationship to antidepressant responseGeoffrey E Ott
Interdepartmental Training Program for Neuroscience, UCLA, CA 90048, USA
Int J Neuropsychopharmacol 7:275-81. 2004..Differential response to treatment was associated with changes in REM activity and density, but not with REM latency. However, in contrast to many other antidepressants, REM sleep was not suppressed...
- REM sleep and cortisol responses to scopolamine during depression and remission in womenUma Rao
Department of Psychiatry, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX 75390 8589, USA
Int J Neuropsychopharmacol 7:265-74. 2004..The results also suggest that the central cholinergic system(s) that regulate(s) REM sleep may be more sensitive to dysregulation than the cholinergic system(s) that control(s) nocturnal cortisol secretion...
- Depressive symptoms and smoking among Hong Kong Chinese adolescentsT H Lam
Department of Community Medicine, The University of Hong Kong, China
Addiction 100:1003-11. 2005..These findings elucidate risk factors in Hong Kong for two important public health concerns for adolescents: smoking and depression...
- Epidemiology and etiology of adolescent smokingTy S Schepis
University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas, Dallas, Texas 75390, USA
Curr Opin Pediatr 17:607-12. 2005....
- Depression and diabetes in children and adolescentsSunita M Stewart
Department of Psychiatry, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas, Dallas, Texas 75390, USA
Curr Opin Pediatr 17:626-31. 2005....
- Repeat suicide attempts in Hong Kong community adolescentsJoy P S Wong
University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong
Soc Sci Med 66:232-41. 2008..These findings are consistent with the "crescendo" model proposing that the risk of repeat attempts is enhanced following a previous suicide attempt...