Pavani K Ram
Affiliation: University at Buffalo
- Evaluation of three rapid diagnostic tests for cholera: does the skill level of the technician matter?Pavani Kalluri
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA, USA
Trop Med Int Health 11:49-55. 2006..To evaluate SMART, Medicos Dip Stick and an Institut Pasteur (IP) cholera dipstick tests for accuracy and ease of use...
- The Integrated Behavioural Model for Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene: a systematic review of behavioural models and a framework for designing and evaluating behaviour change interventions in infrastructure-restricted settingsRobert Dreibelbis
Social and Behavioural Interventions Program, Department of International Health, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, MD, USA
BMC Public Health 13:1015. 2013..The design and evaluation of such interventions would benefit from a synthesis of this body of theory informing WASH behaviour change and maintenance...
- Designing a handwashing station for infrastructure-restricted communities in Bangladesh using the integrated behavioural model for water, sanitation and hygiene interventions (IBM-WASH)Kristyna R S Hulland
Social and Behavioral Interventions Program, Department of International Health, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, MD, USA
BMC Public Health 13:877. 2013..Our aim was to identify a locally feasible and acceptable handwashing station that enabled frequent handwashing for two subsequent randomized trials testing the health effects of this behaviour...
- Impact of duration of structured observations on measurement of handwashing behavior at critical timesAmal K Halder
International Centre for Diarrheal Disease Research, Bangladesh ICDDR, B, Dhaka, Bangladesh
BMC Public Health 13:705. 2013..We aimed to assess the impact of reducing the duration of structured observation on the number and type of critical events observed...
- Perceptions of and willingness to engage in public health precautions to prevent 2009 H1N1 influenza transmissionMarc T Kiviniemi
School of Public Health and Health Professions, University at Buffalo, Buffalo, NY, USA
BMC Public Health 11:152. 2011..Individuals' interpretation of recommendations, willingness to comply, and factors predicting willingness were examined...
- Variability in hand contamination based on serial measurements: implications for assessment of hand-cleansing behavior and disease riskPavani K Ram
University at Buffalo, 3435 Main Street, Buffalo, NY 14221, USA
Am J Trop Med Hyg 84:510-6. 2011..Because hand contamination measured at random cannot reliably predict hand contamination at times of potential pathogen transmission, single random hand rinses are not valid proxy measures for handwashing behavior...
- Is structured observation a valid technique to measure handwashing behavior? Use of acceleration sensors embedded in soap to assess reactivity to structured observationPavani K Ram
University at Buffalo, Buffalo, New York 14221, USA
Am J Trop Med Hyg 83:1070-6. 2010..These findings call into question the validity of structured observation for measurement of handwashing behavior...
- Part II. Analysis of data gaps pertaining to Shigella infections in low and medium human development index countries, 1984-2005P K Ram
Department of Social and Preventive Medicine, School of Public Health and Health Professions, University at Buffalo, Buffalo, NY 14214, USA
Epidemiol Infect 136:577-603. 2008..This review highlights the large gaps in data on the burden of Shigella infections for low human development index countries and, more specifically, for sub-Saharan Africa...
- Household water disinfection in hurricane-affected communities of Louisiana: implications for disaster preparedness for the general publicPavani K Ram
Diarrheal Diseases Epidemiology Team, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA, USA
Am J Public Health 97:S130-5. 2007..We sought to assess awareness of boil water orders and familiarity with household water disinfection techniques other than boiling...
- Bringing safe water to remote populations: an evaluation of a portable point-of-use intervention in rural MadagascarPavani Kalluri Ram
Department of Social and Preventive Medicine, State University of New York, Buffalo, NY 14214, USA
Am J Public Health 97:398-400. 2007..Future work should focus on strategies for sustaining SWS use, factors that motivate community-based sales agents to promote SWS, and the feasibility of scaling up this approach...
- Risk factors for typhoid fever in a slum in Dhaka, BangladeshP K Ram
Foodborne and Diarrheal Diseases Branch, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA, USA
Epidemiol Infect 135:458-65. 2007..The protective effect of using latrines, particularly among young children, should be investigated further...
- An outbreak of enterotoxigenic Escherichia coli associated with sushi restaurants in Nevada, 2004Seema Jain
Enteric Diseases Epidemiology Branch, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 1600 Clifton Rd, MS A 38, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
Clin Infect Dis 47:1-7. 2008..In August 2004, a stool sample from 1 ill sushi restaurant A patron yielded enterotoxigenic Escherichia coli (ETEC). In December 2004, we investigated a third cluster of diarrhea cases among sushi restaurant B patrons...
- Part I. Analysis of data gaps pertaining to Salmonella enterica serotype Typhi infections in low and medium human development index countries, 1984-2005J A Crump
Enteric Diseases Epidemiology Branch, National Center for Zoonotic, Vectorborne, and Enteric Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
Epidemiol Infect 136:436-48. 2008....
- Usefulness of the hydrogen sulfide test for assessment of water quality in BangladeshS K Gupta
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
J Appl Microbiol 104:388-95. 2008..To evaluate the usefulness of the hydrogen sulfide (H(2)S) test for assessing water quality in Bangladesh...
- Microbiological evaluation of the efficacy of soapy water to clean hands: a randomized, non-inferiority field trialNuhu Amin
International Centre for Diarrhoeal Disease Research, Bangladesh ICDDR, B, Dhaka, Bangladesh Stanford University, Stanford, California University at Buffalo, Buffalo, New York Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia
Am J Trop Med Hyg 91:415-23. 2014..3 CFU, P = 0.046) but was less efficacious than scrubbing hands with soapy water. Soapy water is an inexpensive and microbiologically effective cleansing agent to improve handwashing among households with vulnerable children. ..
- Part III. Analysis of data gaps pertaining to enterotoxigenic Escherichia coli infections in low and medium human development index countries, 1984-2005S K Gupta
Enteric Diseases Epidemiology Branch, National Center for Zoonotic, Vectorborne, and Enteric Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA, USA
Epidemiol Infect 136:721-38. 2008..Moreover, a standard molecular definition of ETEC infection is needed to be able to compare results across study sites...
- International foodborne outbreak of Shigella sonnei infection in airline passengersK Gaynor
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA, USA
Epidemiol Infect 137:335-41. 2009..This outbreak illustrates the risk of rapid, global spread of illness from a point-source at a major airline hub...