Affiliation: University of California
- PI3 kinase/Akt activation mediates estrogen and IGF-1 nigral DA neuronal neuroprotection against a unilateral rat model of Parkinson's diseaseArnulfo Quesada
Department of Neurobiology, Brain Research Institute, David Geffen School of Medicine, UCLA, Los Angeles, California, USA
Dev Neurobiol 68:632-44. 2008..These findings indicate that estrogen and IGF-1-mediated SNpc DA neuronal protection is dependent on PI3K/Akt signaling, but not on the MAPK/ERK pathway...
- C-terminal mechano growth factor protects dopamine neurons: a novel peptide that induces heme oxygenase-1Arnulfo Quesada
Research, VA Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System, Los Angeles, CA 90073, USA
Exp Neurol 220:255-66. 2009..This report is the first to demonstrate that a small peptide, MGF24, upregulates HO-1, an important cell defense mediator, and protects DA cells, suggesting new strategies for neuroprotection in Parkinson's disease...
- Estrogen interacts with the IGF-1 system to protect nigrostriatal dopamine and maintain motoric behavior after 6-hydroxdopamine lesionsArnulfo Quesada
Department of Neurobiology, Laboratory of Neuroendocrinology, Brain Research Institute, David Geffen School of Medicine UCLA, Los Angeles, California 90095 1763, USA
J Neurosci Res 75:107-16. 2004..These findings suggest that IGF-1 and estrogen acting through the IGF-1 system may be critical for neuroprotective effects of estrogen on nigrostriatal DA neurons in this model of PD...
- Estrogen and CCK1 receptor modification of mu-opioid receptor binding in the cortex of female ratsArnulfo Quesada
Department of Neurobiology, Laboratory of Neuroendocrinology of the Brain Research Institute, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1763, USA
Brain Res 1073:316-20. 2006..These results demonstrate an estrogen regulation of the MOP receptor and a protein-protein interaction between CCK1 receptor and MOP receptor...
- Distribution and localization patterns of estrogen receptor-beta and insulin-like growth factor-1 receptors in neurons and glial cells of the female rat substantia nigra: localization of ERbeta and IGF-1R in substantia nigraArnulfo Quesada
Department of Neurobiology, Laboratory of Neuroendocrinology of the Brain Research Institute, David Geffen School of Medicine at the University of California Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1763, USA
J Comp Neurol 503:198-208. 2007..Therefore, the localization of ERbeta and IGF-1R on SNpc DA neurons and astrocytes suggests a modulatory role of E2 on IGF-1R, and this modulation may affect neuroprotection...
- Estrogen and progesterone modulate [35S]GTPgammaS binding to nociceptin receptorsArnulfo Quesada
Department of Neurobiology, Laboratory of Neuroendocrinology, Brain Research Institute, David Geffen School of Medicine, UCLA, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1763, USA
Neuroendocrinology 88:35-42. 2008....
- C-terminal mechano-growth factor induces heme oxygenase-1-mediated neuroprotection of SH-SY5Y cells via the protein kinase Cϵ/Nrf2 pathwayArnulfo Quesada
Department of Neurobiology, David Geffen School of Medicine at the University of California at Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California, USA
J Neurosci Res 89:394-405. 2011....
- T-type calcium channel antagonists suppress tremor in two mouse models of essential tremorAdrian Handforth
Neurology Service W127, Veterans Affairs Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System, 11301 Wilshire Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90073, USA
Neuropharmacology 59:380-7. 2010..It is uncertain whether medications developed to block only the Cav3.1 subtype would exhibit efficacy...
- Oestrogen modulates cholecystokinin: opioid interactions in the nervous systemPaul Micevych
Department of Neurobiology, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Laboratory of Neuroendocrinology of the Brain Research Institute, UCLA, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1763, USA
Pharmacol Toxicol 91:387-97. 2002..In this paper we present new data and review previous work that demonstrates oestrogen modulation of functional CCK-opioid interactions that regulate reproductive behaviour, cortical function and nociception...
- The mibefradil derivative NNC55-0396, a specific T-type calcium channel antagonist, exhibits less CYP3A4 inhibition than mibefradilPeter H Bui
Departmental of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of California at Los Angeles, 650 Charles Young Drive, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Drug Metab Dispos 36:1291-9. 2008..7 +/- 0.9 nM). Our results suggest that NNC55-0396 could be a more favorable T-type Ca(2+) antagonist than its parent compound, mibefradil, which was withdrawn from the market because of strong inhibition of CYP3A4...
- A pilot efficacy and tolerability trial of memantine for essential tremorAdrian Handforth
Neurology Department, Veterans Affairs Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Clin Neuropharmacol 33:223-6. 2010..We studied the potential efficacy and tolerance of memantine for essential tremor in an open-treatment trial...
- Functional interactions between estrogen and insulin-like growth factor-I in the regulation of alpha 1B-adrenoceptors and female reproductive functionArnulfo Quesada
Department of Neuroscience, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, New York 10461, USA
J Neurosci 22:2401-8. 2002..These events may help coordinate the timing of ovulation with the expression of sexual receptivity...