Mark N Prichard
Affiliation: University of Alabama at Birmingham
- Prichard M, Hartline C, Harden E, Daily S, Beadle J, Valiaeva N, et al. Inhibition of herpesvirus replication by hexadecyloxypropyl esters of purine- and pyrimidine-based phosphonomethoxyethyl nucleoside phosphonates. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2008;52:4326-30 pubmed publisher..The results presented here indicate that HDP-esterified acyclic nucleoside phosphonates with antiviral activity against HIV also inhibit the replication of some herpesviruses and can extend the spectrum of activity for these compounds. ..
- Prichard M, Lawlor H, Duke G, Mo C, Wang Z, Dixon M, et al. Human cytomegalovirus uracil DNA glycosylase associates with ppUL44 and accelerates the accumulation of viral DNA. Virol J. 2005;2:55 pubmed..These data suggest that pUL114 associates with ppUL44 and that it functions as part of the viral DNA replication complex to increase the efficiency of both early and late phase viral DNA synthesis. ..
- Prichard M, Williams A, Keith K, Harden E, Kern E. Distinct thymidine kinases encoded by cowpox virus and herpes simplex virus contribute significantly to the differential antiviral activity of nucleoside analogs. Antiviral Res. 2006;71:1-6 pubmed..Additional screening against orthopoxviruses will be required to identify nucleoside analogs that are efficiently activated by their type II TK...
- Prichard M, Keith K, Johnson M, Harden E, McBrayer A, Luo M, et al. Selective phosphorylation of antiviral drugs by vaccinia virus thymidine kinase. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2007;51:1795-803 pubmed..This unexpected result suggests that selective phosphorylation by the viral kinase may be a promising new approach in the discovery of highly selective inhibitors of orthopoxvirus replication. ..
- Prichard M, Kern E, Quenelle D, Keith K, Moyer R, Turner P. Vaccinia virus lacking the deoxyuridine triphosphatase gene (F2L) replicates well in vitro and in vivo, but is hypersensitive to the antiviral drug (N)-methanocarbathymidine. Virol J. 2008;5:39 pubmed publisher..The recombinant virus is hypersensitive to (N)-methanocarbathymidine and may reflect metabolic differences in the mutant virus. ..
- Prichard M, Sztul E, Daily S, Perry A, Frederick S, Gill R, et al. Human cytomegalovirus UL97 kinase activity is required for the hyperphosphorylation of retinoblastoma protein and inhibits the formation of nuclear aggresomes. J Virol. 2008;82:5054-67 pubmed publisher..These data also suggest a potential link between RB function and the formation of aggresomes. ..
- Prichard M, Kern E. Orthopoxvirus targets for the development of new antiviral agents. Antiviral Res. 2012;94:111-25 pubmed publisher..Progress that has been achieved in recent years should yield new drugs for the treatment of these infections and might also reveal new approaches for antiviral drug development with other viruses. ..