Samuel H Preston
Affiliation: University of Pennsylvania
- Deadweight?--The influence of obesity on longevitySamuel H Preston
N Engl J Med 352:1135-7. 2005
- The changing relation between mortality and level of economic development. 1975Samuel H Preston
Bull World Health Organ 81:833-41. 2003
- Sex mortality differences in the United States: the role of cohort smoking patternsSamuel H Preston
Population Studies Center, University of Pennsylvania, 3718 Locust Walk, Philadelphia 19104, USA
Demography 43:631-46. 2006..Combined with recent changes in smoking patterns, the model suggests that sex differences in mortality will narrow dramatically in coming decades...
- The changing relation between mortality and level of economic development. Population Studies, Vol. 29, No. 2, July 1975Samuel H Preston
Int J Epidemiol 36:484-90. 2007
- Modeling obesity histories in cohort analyses of health and mortalitySamuel H Preston
Population Studies Center, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19103, USA
Epidemiology 24:158-66. 2013..Other versions of a duration-of-obesity model also perform well, underscoring the importance of obesity at early adult ages for mortality at older ages...
- Contribution of obesity to international differences in life expectancySamuel H Preston
University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Am J Public Health 101:2137-43. 2011..The United States has the highest prevalence of obesity and one of the lowest life expectancies among high-income countries. We investigated the relationship between these 2 phenomena...
- Estimating smoking-attributable mortality in the United StatesAndrew Fenelon
University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104 6298, USA
Demography 49:797-818. 2012..We suggest that our coefficients are suitable for calculating smoking-attributable mortality in contexts with relatively mature epidemics of cigarette smoking...
- Nutritional supplementation in girls influences the growth of their children: prospective study in GuatemalaJere R Behrman
Department of Economics and Population Studies Center, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104 6297, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 90:1372-9. 2009..Better early childhood nutrition improves schooling, adult health, skills, and wages, but there is little evidence regarding its effect on the next generation...
- Ethnic and religious differentials in Bulgarian mortality, 1993-98Iliana V Kohler
Population Studies Center, University of Pennsylvania, 3718 Locust Walk, Philadelphia, PA 19104 6299, USA
Popul Stud (Camb) 65:91-113. 2011..Suicide mortality is lower for Muslims than for Christian groups of the same ethnicity. Consistent with deteriorating economic conditions over the study period, mortality was rising, particularly for women...
- A new method for estimating smoking-attributable mortality in high-income countriesSamuel H Preston
Population Studies Center, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA, USA
Int J Epidemiol 39:430-8. 2010..This article develops an alternative to the Peto-Lopez method for estimating the number or fraction of smoking-attributable deaths in high-income countries...