John R Porterfield
Affiliation: University of Alabama at Birmingham
- Reliability of benign fine needle aspiration cytology of large thyroid nodulesJohn R Porterfield
Division of Gastroenterologic and General Surgery, Mayo Clinic, Mayo Graduate School of Medicine, Rochester, Minn, USA
Surgery 144:963-8; discussion 968-9. 2008..Our aim was to determine the false negative rate of FNA cytology on thyroid nodules >/=3 cm interpreted as benign at our institution...
- Descriptive operative reports: teaching, learning, and milestones to safe surgeryJohn R Porterfield
Center for Surgical, Medical Acute care Research and Transitions, Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Birmingham, Alabama, USA
J Surg Educ 68:452-8. 2011..However, the construct of these reports varies widely among surgeons and is rarely formally taught and not tested formally during surgical training or board certification...
- Effects of duty hour restrictions on core competencies, education, quality of life, and burnout among general surgery internsRyan M Antiel
Division of Primary Care Internal Medicine, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota, USA
JAMA Surg 148:448-55. 2013..To measure the implications of the new Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education duty hour regulations for education, well-being, and burnout...
- Evidence-based management of toxic multinodular goiter (Plummer's Disease)John R Porterfield
Department of Surgery, Mayo Clinic, 200 First Street SW, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
World J Surg 32:1278-84. 2008..Toxic multinodular goiter (Plummer's disease) has posed challenges to surgeons, endocrinologists, and radiation oncologists since its description in 1913. A literature review with evidenced-based methodology has not yet been reported...
- Association between side air bags and risk of injury in motor vehicle collisions with near-side impactGerald McGwin
Department of Surgery, School of Medicine, University of Alabama at Birmingham, 35294 0016, USA
J Trauma 55:430-4; discussion 434-6. 2003..The objective of this study was to assess the effectiveness of SABs in reducing the risk of injury or death in near-side-impact MVCs...
- Surgical training, duty-hour restrictions, and implications for meeting the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education core competencies: views of surgical interns compared with program directorsRyan M Antiel
Department of Surgery, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Arch Surg 147:536-41. 2012..To describe the perspectives of surgical interns regarding the implications of the new Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) duty-hour regulations for their training...
- Effects of virtual reality simulator training method and observational learning on surgical performanceChristopher W Snyder
Department of Surgery, University of Alabama at Birmingham, 1922 7th Avenue South, KB 428, Birmingham, AL 35294 0016, USA
World J Surg 35:245-52. 2011..Virtual reality (VR) simulators and Web-based instructional videos are valuable supplemental training resources in surgical programs, but it is unclear how to optimally integrate them into minimally invasive surgical training...
- Perceptions about blood transfusion: a survey of surgical patients and their anesthesiologists and surgeonsThomas R Vetter
From the Department of Anesthesiology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama
Anesth Analg 118:1301-8. 2014..Practicing patient-centered care necessitates that clinicians have an understanding of an individual patient's perceptions of transfusion practice and incorporate this into shared medical decision-making...
- Operative technique for modified radical neck dissection in papillary thyroid carcinomaJohn R Porterfield
Mayo Clinic, 200 First St SW, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Arch Surg 144:567-74; discussion 574. 2009..Current intense postoperative surveillance by endocrinologists nationwide has the sensitivity to detect even minute lymph node metastases using ultrasonography, radioactive iodine scan, and thyroglobulin monitoring...
- Surgery for Cushing's syndrome: an historical review and recent ten-year experienceJohn R Porterfield
Department of Surgery, Mayo Clinic and Mayo Foundation, 200 First Street, S W, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
World J Surg 32:659-77. 2008....