J E Poole
Affiliation: University of Washington
- Low-energy impedance-compensating biphasic waveforms terminate ventricular fibrillation at high rates in victims of out-of-hospital cardiac arrest. LIFE InvestigatorsJ E Poole
The University of Washington, Seattle 98195, USA
J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol 8:1373-85. 1997..The objective of this study was to observe the performance of a low-energy impedance-compensating biphasic waveform in the out-of-hospital setting on 100 consecutive victims of sudden cardiac arrest...
- Prognostic importance of defibrillator shocks in patients with heart failureJeanne E Poole
Division of Cardiology, University of Washington School of Medicine, 1959 NE Pacific St, Box 356422, Seattle, WA 98195 6422, USA
N Engl J Med 359:1009-17. 2008..e., prevention of a first life-threatening arrhythmic event) may later receive therapeutic shocks from the ICD. Information about long-term prognosis after ICD therapy in such patients is limited...
- Complication rates associated with pacemaker or implantable cardioverter-defibrillator generator replacements and upgrade procedures: results from the REPLACE registryJeanne E Poole
University of Washington, Division of Cardiology, 1959 NE Pacific Street, Seattle, WA 98198 6422, USA
Circulation 122:1553-61. 2010..These procedures are generally considered low risk despite results from recent retrospective series reporting higher rates...
- New indications for implantable defibrillator therapyJeanne E Poole
University of Washington School of Medicine, Division of Cardiology, Box 356422, 1959 NE Pacific Street, Seattle, WA 98195 6422, USA
Curr Cardiol Rep 8:330-5. 2006....
- Treatment of out-of-hospital cardiac arrest with a low-energy impedance-compensating biphasic waveform automatic external defibrillator. The LIFE InvestigatorsB E Gliner
Heartstream, Inc, Seattle, WA 98121, USA
Biomed Instrum Technol 32:631-44. 1998..Use of this waveform allows AED device characteristics consistent with widespread AED deployment and early defibrillation...
- Home use of automated external defibrillators for sudden cardiac arrestGust H Bardy
Seattle Institute for Cardiac Research, Seattle, WA 98103 4819, USA
N Engl J Med 358:1793-804. 2008..Consequently, home use of an automated external defibrillator (AED) might offer an opportunity to improve survival for patients at risk...
- Cost-effectiveness of defibrillator therapy or amiodarone in chronic stable heart failure: results from the Sudden Cardiac Death in Heart Failure Trial (SCD-HeFT)Daniel B Mark
Outcomes Research Group, Duke Clinical Research Institute, PO Box 17969, Durham, NC 27715, USA
Circulation 114:135-42. 2006..We examined long-term economic implications of these results...
- No benefit from defibrillation threshold testing in the SCD-HeFT (Sudden Cardiac Death in Heart Failure Trial)Joseph A Blatt
Department of Cardiology, University of Washington, Box 356422, 1959 NE Pacific Street, Seattle, Washington 98195, USA
J Am Coll Cardiol 52:551-6. 2008..This study investigated whether defibrillation threshold (DFT) testing during implantable cardioverter-defibrillator (ICD) implantation predicts clinical outcomes...
- Not the usual cardiac rhythm device infection: a fastidious pathogen with several teaching pointsPeter J Cawley
Division of Cardiology, Department of Medicine, University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, WA 98195 6422, USA
J Hosp Med 3:173-5. 2008..Two large retrospective studies suggest that prolonged incubation for fastidious organisms is generally not necessary because of advances in culture media and automated blood culture systems...
- Syncope predicts the outcome of cardiomyopathy patients: analysis of the SCD-HeFT studyBrian Olshansky
University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa, USA
J Am Coll Cardiol 51:1277-82. 2008..The outcome of congestive heart failure (CHF) patients with syncope is understood incompletely...
- Evidence for pre- to postsynaptic mismatch of the cardiac sympathetic nervous system in ischemic congestive heart failureJames H Caldwell
Division of Cardiology, Department of Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98195, USA
J Nucl Med 49:234-41. 2008..Pre- and postsynaptic cardiac sympathetic function is altered in ischemic congestive heart failure (CHF). Whether there is a presynaptic-to-postsynaptic mismatch or whether mismatch is related to adverse cardiac events is unknown...
- PET measures of pre- and post-synaptic cardiac beta adrenergic functionJeanne M Link
Department of Radiology, Box 356004, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
Nucl Med Biol 30:795-803. 2003..This imaging technique can help us understand regional sympathetic function in cardiac disease...
- Where patients with mild to moderate heart failure die: results from the Sudden Cardiac Death in Heart Failure Trial (SCD-HeFT)Brian Olshansky
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Iowa Hospitals, 4426A JCP, 200 Hawkins Dr, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
Am Heart J 153:1089-94. 2007..In the SCD-HeFT, mortality of patients with CHF was assessed after randomization to an implantable cardioverter/defibrillator (ICD), amiodarone, or placebo. The aim of this study was to evaluate the location of deaths in SCD-HeFT...
- Amiodarone or an implantable cardioverter-defibrillator for congestive heart failureGust H Bardy
Seattle Institute for Cardiac Research, Seattle, WA 98103, USA
N Engl J Med 352:225-37. 2005..Treatment with amiodarone or an implantable cardioverter-defibrillator (ICD) has been proposed to improve the prognosis in such patients...
- Rationale and design of the Home Automatic External Defibrillator Trial (HAT)Gust H Bardy
The Seattle Institute for Cardiac Research, Seattle, WA 98103 4819, USA
Am Heart J 155:445-54. 2008..The results of the trial should be available in mid 2008...
- Absence of bilateral vision loss from amiodarone: a randomized trialJoel S Mindel
Department of Ophthalmology, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY 10029, USA
Am Heart J 153:837-42. 2007..The object of this study was to determine the incidence, dose, and time until onset of bilateral vision loss from amiodarone as a secondary end point in an investigation of amiodarone's role in preventing sudden death...
- Statin use was associated with reduced mortality in both ischemic and nonischemic cardiomyopathy and in patients with implantable defibrillators: mortality data and mechanistic insights from the Sudden Cardiac Death in Heart Failure Trial (SCD-HeFT)Michael G Dickinson
Thoracic Cardiovascular Institute Foundation, Lansing, MI, USA
Am Heart J 153:573-8. 2007..The study length, size, and degree of background HF, including the use of implantable defibrillator therapy, provide a unique opportunity to evaluate the impact of statin use in HF with mechanistic insights from subgroup analyses...
- Outcome in African Americans and other minorities in the Sudden Cardiac Death in Heart Failure Trial (SCD-HeFT)Judith E Mitchell
State University of New York Downstate Medical Center, Brooklyn, NY 11203, USA
Am Heart J 155:501-6. 2008..The purpose of this report is to describe the outcomes in African Americans (AAs) and other minorities...