M A Poles
Affiliation: University of California
- HIV-Related hepatic disease: when and why to biopsyM A Poles
Center for HIV and Digestive Diseases, Division of Digestive Diseases, University of California, Los Angeles School of Medicine, Los Angeles, California 90095, USA
Gastrointest Endosc Clin N Am 8:939-62. 1998..Care of these patients demands systematic evaluation and treatment to ensure that morbidity and mortality are minimized and quality of life and medical care costs are optimized...
- Hepatitis C virus/human immunodeficiency virus coinfection: clinical management issuesM A Poles
Division of Digestive Diseases, Center for HIV and Digestive Diseases, and University of California Los Angeles AIDS Institute, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Clin Infect Dis 31:154-61. 2000....
- Despite high concordance, distinct mutational and phenotypic drug resistance profiles in human immunodeficiency virus type 1 RNA are observed in gastrointestinal mucosal biopsy specimens and peripheral blood mononuclear cells compared with plasmaM A Poles
School of Medicine, Department of Medicine, University of California Los Angeles UCLA Center for HIV and Digestive Diseases and UCLA AIDS Institute, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
J Infect Dis 183:143-8. 2001..Despite significant concordance among compartments, mucosal- and PBMC-derived viral RNA showed instances of discordance with plasma-derived virus that may suggest compartmentalization of virus...
- A preponderance of CCR5(+) CXCR4(+) mononuclear cells enhances gastrointestinal mucosal susceptibility to human immunodeficiency virus type 1 infectionM A Poles
Department of Medicine, UCLA School of Medicine, UCLA Center for HIV and Digestive Diseases, Los Angeles, California 90095, USA
J Virol 75:8390-9. 2001..We conclude that, based on these findings, the gastrointestinal mucosa represents a favored target for HIV-1, in part due to its large population of CXCR4(+) CCR5(+) target cells and not to differences in the virus that it contains...
- Sensitive and reproducible quantitation of mucosal HIV-1 RNA and DNA viral burden in patients with detectable and undetectable plasma viral HIV-1 RNA using endoscopic biopsiesP A Anton
Division of Digestive Diseases, Department of Medicine, MRL 2734, UCLA School of Medicine, 675 Charles E Young Drive South, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
J Virol Methods 95:65-79. 2001....
- Diarrheal diseases associated with HIV infectionE A Lew
Department of Medicine, UCLA Medical Center, USA
Gastroenterol Clin North Am 26:259-90. 1997..This article reviews our current understanding of these pathogens and some of the diagnostic and therapeutic approaches for diarrhea associated with HIV infection...
- HIV-related diarrhea is multifactorial and fat malabsorption is commonly present, independent of HAARTM A Poles
UCLA Center for HIV and Digestive Diseases, UCLA School of Medicine, Los Angeles, California 90095, USA
Am J Gastroenterol 96:1831-7. 2001..Fecal fat determination should be considered a routine part of the diagnostic workup of HIV-infected patients experiencing diarrhea...
- HIV MUCOSAL PATHOGENESIS IN PRIMARY INFECTIONMichael Poles; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..