David W Podlesak
Affiliation: University of Utah
- Variation of hydrogen, carbon, nitrogen, and oxygen stable isotope ratios in an American diet: fast food mealsLesley A Chesson
Department of Biology, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah 84112, USA
J Agric Food Chem 56:4084-91. 2008..Although the patterns support the concept of a "continental" supermarket diet, there appears to be a strong regional component within the diet...
- δ2H and δ18O of human body water: a GIS model to distinguish residents from non-residents in the contiguous USADavid W Podlesak
Department of Biology, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT, USA
Isotopes Environ Health Stud 48:259-79. 2012..We combine the model with equations that describe the rate of turnover to produce estimates for the time required for a non-resident to reach an isotopic equilibrium with a resident population...
- Metabolic routing of dietary nutrients in birds: effects of diet quality and macronutrient composition revealed using stable isotopesDavid W Podlesak
Department of Biology, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, 84112, USA
Physiol Biochem Zool 79:534-49. 2006..These results have implications for how isotopic discrimination is best estimated and how we can study macronutrient routing in wild animals...
- Dietary and physiological controls on the hydrogen and oxygen isotope ratios of hair from mid-20th century indigenous populationsGabriel J Bowen
Department of Biology, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT 84112, USA
Am J Phys Anthropol 139:494-504. 2009..These results indicate a dual role for H and O isotopic measurements of keratin, including both biological (diet, physiology) and environmental (geographic movement, paleoclimate) reconstruction...
- Hydrogen and oxygen isotope ratios in human hair are related to geographyJames R Ehleringer
IsoForensics, Inc, 423 Wakara Way, Suite 205, Salt Lake City, UT 84108, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105:2788-93. 2008....
- Evaluating uncertainty in the calculation of non-exchangeable hydrogen fractions within organic materialsLesley A Chesson
Biology Department, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT 84112, USA
Rapid Commun Mass Spectrom 23:1275-80. 2009..However, extreme mismatches between sample and reference material types could affect delta2H values...
- Hydrogen and oxygen isotope values in hydrogen peroxideJanet E Barnette
IsoForensics Inc, 423 Wakara Way, Suite 205, Salt Lake City, UT 84108, USA
Rapid Commun Mass Spectrom 25:1422-8. 2011..Future applications of this work include synthesis studies that investigate the chemical link between H(2)O(2) reagents and peroxide-based explosive products, which may assist law enforcement in criminal investigations...
- Determining biological tissue turnover using stable isotopes: the reaction progress variableThure E Cerling
Department of Geology and Geophysics, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT 84112 0111, USA
Oecologia 151:175-89. 2007..Previous growth models have been for exponential growth; the approach here can be used for several different growth models...
- Stable isotopes in breath, blood, feces and feathers can indicate intra-individual changes in the diet of migratory songbirdsDavid W Podlesak
Department of Natural Resources Science, University of Rhode Island, Kingston, RI 02881, USA
Oecologia 142:501-10. 2005..Therefore, comparisons of the delta13C of breath, plasma, RBCs, feces and feathers from individual songbirds can indicate changes in diet and provide an estimate of the timescale of the diet change...