Genomes and Genes
Satish K Pillai
Affiliation: University of California
- Expression profile of host restriction factors in HIV-1 elite controllersMohamed Abdel-Mohsen
Department of Medicine, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, California, USA
Retrovirology 10:106. 2013....
- Role of retroviral restriction factors in the interferon-α-mediated suppression of HIV-1 in vivoSatish K Pillai
Department of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 109:3035-40. 2012....
- Genetic attributes of cerebrospinal fluid-derived HIV-1 envSatish K Pillai
University of California San Diego, Department of Medicine NCIRE, La Jolla, CA 94121, USA
Brain 129:1872-83. 2006..Furthermore, neurological impairment may be influenced by mutations within the viral V3 loop sequence...
- Turning up the volume on mutational pressure: is more of a good thing always better? (A case study of HIV-1 Vif and APOBEC3)Satish K Pillai
Department of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94121, USA
Retrovirology 5:26. 2008..Rigorous testing of this hypothesis will have timely and critical implications for the therapeutic management of HIV/AIDS, and delve into the complexities underlying the induction of lethal mutagenesis in a viral pathogen...
- Pleocytosis is associated with disruption of HIV compartmentalization between blood and cerebral spinal fluid viral populationsDavey M Smith
University of California San Diego, La Jolla, 92093, USA
Virology 385:204-8. 2009....
- Effects of alpha interferon treatment on intrinsic anti-HIV-1 immunity in vivoMohamed Abdel-Mohsen
Department of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, California, USA
J Virol 88:763-7. 2014..649; P < 0.016). Exogenous IFN-α induces supraphysiologic restriction factor expression associated with a pronounced decrease in HIV-1 viremia. ..
- Lack of neutralizing antibody response to HIV-1 predisposes to superinfectionDavey M Smith
University of California San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093 0679, USA
Virology 355:1-5. 2006..These data have considerable implications for vaccine development...
- Protease polymorphisms in HIV-1 subtype CRF01_AE represent selection by antiretroviral therapy and host immune pressureWeerawat Manosuthi
University of California San Diego, La Jolla, California, USA
AIDS 24:411-6. 2010..We investigated the effect of protease resistance-associated mutations (PRAMs) and population-based HLA haplotype frequencies on polymorphisms found in CRF01_AE pro...
- Semen-specific genetic characteristics of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 envSatish K Pillai
University of California, San Diego, Division of Biological Sciences, 9500 Gilman Dr, MC 0679, La Jolla, CA 92093, USA
J Virol 79:1734-42. 2005..Our analysis suggests that the male genital tract represents a distinct selective environment that contributes to the apparent genetic bottlenecks associated with the sexual transmission of HIV-1...
- Effects of cellular activation on anti-HIV-1 restriction factor expression profile in primary cellsRui André Saraiva Raposo
Division of Experimental Medicine, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, California, USA
J Virol 87:11924-9. 2013..This report demonstrates synchronous effects of activation-induced antiviral genes on HIV-1 infectivity, providing candidates for pharmacological manipulation. ..
- Increased expression of intrinsic antiviral genes in HLA-B*57-positive individualsRui André Saraiva Raposo
2 Division of Experimental Medicine, 1001 Potrero Ave, Bldg 3, Room 603, Box 1234, San Francisco, CA 94110, USA
J Leukoc Biol 94:1051-9. 2013..Our results provide insights into natural protection mechanisms and immunity against HIV-1 that fall outside of classical HLA-mediated effects. ..
- BST-2 is rapidly down-regulated from the cell surface by the HIV-1 protein Vpu: evidence for a post-ER mechanism of Vpu-actionMark Skasko
Department of Pathology, University of California San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093 0679, USA
Virology 411:65-77. 2011....
- Inferring HIV transmission dynamics from phylogenetic sequence relationshipsChristopher D Pilcher
University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, California, United States of America
PLoS Med 5:e69. 2008
- In vivo CD8+ T-cell suppression of siv viremia is not mediated by CTL clearance of productively infected cellsJoseph K Wong
Department of Medicine, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, California, United States of America
PLoS Pathog 6:e1000748. 2010..These observations have important implications for future strategies to augment immune control of HIV...
- Codon volatility does not reflect selective pressure on the HIV-1 genomeSatish K Pillai
University of California, San Diego, Stein Clinical Research Building, Room 325, 9500 Gilman Drive 0679, La Jolla 92093, USA
Virology 336:137-43. 2005..Volatility failed to correlate with the results of any of the comparative methods demonstrating that it is not a reliable indicator of selection pressure...
- Cross-sectional dating of novel haplotypes of HERV-K 113 and HERV-K 115 indicate these proviruses originated in Africa before Homo sapiensAashish R Jha
Division of Experimental Medicine, University of California San Francisco, CA, USA
Mol Biol Evol 26:2617-26. 2009..Using our method, we estimated the insertion dates of K113 and K115 to be a minimum of 800,000 and 1.1 million years ago, respectively. Both these insertion dates predate the emergence of anatomically modern Homo sapiens...
- Interferon-alpha drives monocyte gene expression in chronic unsuppressed HIV-1 infectionHans Rempel
Department of Laboratory Medicine, San Francisco Veterans Affairs Medical Center, San Francisco, California, USA
AIDS 24:1415-23. 2010..The objectives were two fold: to characterize the impact of HIV-1 infection on peripheral monocyte gene expression and to identify the predominant factor(s) responsible for altered gene expression...