Mariann R Piano
Affiliation: University of Illinois at Chicago
- Alcoholic cardiomyopathy: incidence, clinical characteristics, and pathophysiologyMariann R Piano
University of Illinois at Chicago College of Nursing, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Chest 121:1638-50. 2002..Alcohol abstinence, as well as the use of specific heart failure pharmacotherapies, is critical in improving ventricular function and outcomes in these patients...
- The cardiovascular effects of alcohol: the good and the bad: how low-risk drinking differs from high-risk drinkingMariann R Piano
College of Nursing, University of Illinois, Chicago, USA
Am J Nurs 105:87, 89-91. 2005
- Sex differences in ethanol liquid diet consumption in Sprague-Dawley ratsMariann R Piano
University of Illinois at Chicago, College of Nursing, Department of Medical Surgical Nursing MC 802, 845 South Damen, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Alcohol 35:113-8. 2005..The data indicate that, similar to other strains, Sprague-Dawley rats also exhibit sex differences in their pattern of body growth (weight gain) and ethanol intake; however, BELs were similar among the groups...
- Long-term effects of alcohol consumption in male and female ratsMariann R Piano
Department of Medical Surgical Nursing, University of Illinois at Chicago, 845 S Damen Ave MC 802, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Cardiovasc Toxicol 7:247-54. 2007..In conclusion, similar to male rats long-term ethanol consumption in gonad-intact and OVX female rats is associated with the development of a dilated cardiomyopathy...
- Neurohormone activationMariann R Piano
Department of Medical Surgical Nursing, University of Illinois at Chicago College of Nursing, 845 South Damen Street, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Crit Care Nurs Clin North Am 15:413-21. 2003..With the progressive increase in the incidence and prevalence of heart failure, treatment approaches must focus on the underlying cause as well as on blocking the neurohormonal activation that leads to the remodeling process...
- Cellular cardiomyoplasty: a new therapeutic approach for regenerating the myocardiumMariann R Piano
Medical Surgical Nursing, University of Illinois at Chicago, College of Nursing, Chicago, Ill 60612, USA
J Cardiovasc Nurs 18:374-81. 2003....
- Flexible diuretic titration in chronic heart failure: where is the evidence?Mariann R Piano
Department of Biobehavioral Health Science, College of Nursing, University of Illinois, Chicago, Illinois, USA
J Card Fail 17:944-54. 2011..The primary objective of this manuscript was to summarize and review the evidence supporting the use of a flexible diuretic regimen in the management of outpatient heart failure patients...
- Cigarette smoke-induced left ventricular remodelling is associated with activation of mitogen-activated protein kinasesLianzhi Gu
Department of Medical Surgical Nursing, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, United States
Eur J Heart Fail 10:1057-64. 2008....
- Biphasic changes in cardiac excitation-contraction coupling early in chronic alcohol exposureGary L Aistrup
Department of Molecular Pharmacology and Biological Chemistry, Northwestern University, Feinberg School of Medicine, 303 E Chicago Ave, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 291:H1047-57. 2006..Continued study of such transition-phase events should provide important insight into which molecular-cellular components of EC coupling play pivotal roles in EtOH-induced disease processes, such as ACM...
- Cardiovascular responses and differential changes in mitogen-activated protein kinases following repeated episodes of binge drinkingLianzhi Gu
Department of Medicine, Section of Cardiology and Center for Cardiovascular Research, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, IL, USA
Alcohol Alcohol 48:131-7. 2013..The effects of carvedilol, a beta-adrenergic blocker, were also examined in this animal model of binge drinking...
- Signaling responses after exposure to 5 alpha-dihydrotestosterone or 17 beta-estradiol in norepinephrine-induced hypertrophy of neonatal rat ventricular myocytesYevgeniya E Koshman
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, University of Illinois at Chicago, MC 901, 835 South Wolcott Ave, Chicago, IL 60612 7342, USA
J Appl Physiol 108:686-96. 2010..This is the first report of rapid, nongenomic sex hormone signaling via FAK activation and altered FAK trafficking to the nucleus in heart cells...
- Fatigue, inflammation, and projected mortality in heart failureAnne M Fink
Department of Biobehavioral Health Science, College of Nursing, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
J Card Fail 18:711-6. 2012..Fatigue is a prominent and poorly understood symptom of heart failure with reduced ejection fraction (HFrEF). The purpose of this study was to determine whether fatigue correlated with immune biomarkers and prognosis...
- Cardiac structure and function after short-term ethanol consumption in ratsShann D Kim
School of Kinesiology, University of Illinois at Chicago, 901 West Roosevelt Road M C 194, Chicago, IL 60608, USA
Alcohol 29:21-9. 2003..Over time, in both groups, PRA levels were unchanged. In this study, the only cardiac structural feature characteristic of a preclinical ACM was a decrease in relative wall thickness...
- Alcohol and heart failureMariann R Piano
University of Illinois at Chicago, College of Nursing, Department of Medical Surgical Nursing 60612, USA
J Card Fail 8:239-46. 2002..Current heart failure (HF) guidelines note that alcohol use should be discouraged or restricted in patients with HF resulting from left ventricular systolic dysfunction. Existing knowledge is limited in the area of HF and alcohol...
- Fatigue with systolic heart failureAnne M Fink
Department of Biobehavioral Health Science, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, IL 60612 7350, USA
J Cardiovasc Nurs 24:410-7. 2009....
- Cardiovascular risk factors and metabolic syndrome in alcohol- and nicotine-dependent men and womenCarolyn M Jarvis
Department of Medical Surgical Nursing, University of Illinois at Chicago, IL 60612, USA
J Cardiovasc Nurs 22:429-35. 2007..The purpose of this study was to examine the prevalence and clustering of traditional and novel CVD risk factors, including components of the metabolic syndrome, in nicotine- and alcohol-dependent adults...
- The effects of a sliding scale diuretic titration protocol in patients with heart failureMarilyn A Prasun
Heart Failure Clinic, Carle Clinic, Department of Cardiology, Urbana, Ill 61801, USA
J Cardiovasc Nurs 20:62-70. 2005..Patients with heart failure who used a sliding scale diuretic titration protocol had significant improvements in their exercise tolerance and QOL, had fewer ED visits, and had no change in plasma NE or NT-BNP levels...
- Detection of cardiac variability in the isolated rat heartAutumn M Schumacher
Department of Physiological and Technological Nursing, School of Nursing at the Medical College of Georgia, Augusta, 30912, USA
Biol Res Nurs 8:55-66. 2006..Although speculative, RQA may be a tool for detecting alterations in cardiac variability and evaluating signal dynamics as a nonlinear indicator of cardiac pathology...
- Binge Drinking & Cigarette Smoking: A Rodent ModelMariann Piano; Fiscal Year: 2007....