Affiliation: University of Hawaii
- Orthostatic hypotension predicts mortality in elderly men: the Honolulu Heart ProgramK H Masaki
Honolulu Heart Program, Kuakini Medical Center, Honolulu, Hawaii, USA
Circulation 98:2290-5. 1998..Population-based data are unavailable concerning the predictive value of orthostatic hypotension on mortality in ambulatory elderly patients, particularly minority groups...
- Association of vitamin E and C supplement use with cognitive function and dementia in elderly menK H Masaki
Division of Geriatric Medicine, University of Hawaii, John A Burns School of Medicine, Honolulu, USA
Neurology 54:1265-72. 2000..To determine whether use of vitamin E and C supplements protects against subsequent development of dementia and poor cognitive functioning...
- Accuracy of clinical criteria for AD in the Honolulu-Asia Aging Study, a population-based studyH Petrovitch
Pacific Health Research Institute, Honolulu, HI 96813, USA
Neurology 57:226-34. 2001..AD is neuropathologically confirmed for more than 80% of cases at major referral centers (primarily Caucasians); however, information on diagnostic accuracy in population-based studies and studies of different ethnic groups is limited...
- Association of body mass index with blood pressure in elderly Japanese American men. The Honolulu Heart ProgramK H Masaki
Honolulu Heart Program, Kuakini Medical Center, HI 96817, USA
Hypertension 29:673-7. 1997..These results show that obesity and high blood pressure continue to be highly correlated even in old age and suggest that it may be possible to modify rates of hypertension by changes in body weight...
- Association of coffee and caffeine intake with the risk of Parkinson diseaseG W Ross
Department of Veterans Affairs, Honolulu 151, PO Box 50188, Honolulu, HI 96850, USA
JAMA 283:2674-9. 2000..The projected expansion in the next several decades of the elderly population at highest risk for Parkinson disease (PD) makes identification of factors that promote or prevent the disease an important goal...
- Peripheral artery disease and cardiovascular risk factors in the elderly. The Honolulu Heart ProgramJ D Curb
Division of Clinical Epidemiology, John A Burns School of Medicine, University of Hawaii at Manoa, USA
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 16:1495-500. 1996..2. The OR associated with hypertension was 1.8 and that for smoking, 2.9 (P < .05 for all ORs). These findings are consistent with ABI being a marker for generalized atherosclerotic disease in old and very old Japanese American men...
- Quantification of regional glial fibrillary acidic protein levels in Alzheimer's diseaseG W Ross
Department of Veterans Affairs, Honolulu, HI, USA
Acta Neurol Scand 107:318-23. 2003..Our objectives were to quantify glial fibrillary acidic protein (GFAP) in brains of Alzheimer's disease (AD) cases, and non-AD controls to determine the regions with the most severe gliosis in AD...
- Current evidence for neuroprotective effects of nicotine and caffeine against Parkinson's diseaseG W Ross
Department of Veterans Affairs, Honolulu, Hawaii, USA
Drugs Aging 18:797-806. 2001....
- Memory complaints in nondemented men predict future pathologic diagnosis of Alzheimer diseaseA F Jorm
Centre for Mental Health Research, Australian National University, Canberra, ACT 0200, Australia
Neurology 63:1960-1. 2004..Memory complaints were found to predict the neuropathologic diagnosis of AD after adjusting for age, time to death, education, depression, and cognitive functioning...