Sharina D Person
Affiliation: University of Alabama at Birmingham
- Nurse staffing and mortality for Medicare patients with acute myocardial infarctionSharina D Person
Division of Preventive Medicine, Center for Outcomes and Effectiveness Research and Education, Birmingham, Alabama, USA
Med Care 42:4-12. 2004..Recent hospital reductions in registered nurses (RNs) for hospital care raise concerns about patient outcomes...
- Alcohol consumption in young adults and incident hypertension: 20-year follow-up from the Coronary Artery Risk Development in Young Adults StudyJewell H Halanych
University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama 35294 4410, USA
Am J Epidemiol 171:532-9. 2010..Future studies should include social factors, such as income and education, and consider additional characteristics that may modify or confound associations between alcohol and blood pressure...
- Relationship of health behavior theories with self-efficacy among insufficiently active hypertensive African-American womenMichelle Y Martin
Department of Medicine, Division of Preventive Medicine, University of Alabama at Birmingham, 1530 3rd Ave South, 1717 11th Ave South MT 617, Birmingham, AL 35294 4410, United States
Patient Educ Couns 72:137-45. 2008..This study identified theoretical correlates associated with self-efficacy among insufficiently active, hypertensive Black women...
- Delay in time to receipt of thrombolytic medication among Medicare patients with kidney diseaseBritt B Newsome
Division of Nephrology, Department of Medicine, Birmingham Veterans Affairs Medical Center, University of Alabama, Birmingham, AL, USA
Am J Kidney Dis 46:595-602. 2005..Our goal is to identify potential differences in thrombolytic medication delays and thrombolytic-associated bleeding events by severity of kidney disease...
- Burden of comorbid medical conditions and quality of diabetes careJewell H Halanych
Division of Preventive Medicine, Department of Medicine, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama, USA
Diabetes Care 30:2999-3004. 2007..We sought to examine the relationship between comorbidity and commonly assessed services for diabetic patients in a managed care organization...
- Patient provider communication about the health effects of obesityNefertiti H Durant
Division of General Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, Department of Medicine, MTC 201, 1600 7th Avenue South, Birmingham, AL 35233, United States
Patient Educ Couns 75:53-7. 2009..We assessed the influence of race/ethnicity and provider communication on overweight and obese patients' perceptions of the damage weight causes to their health...
- Predictors of inconsistent contraceptive use among adolescent girls: findings from a prospective studySusan L Davies
School of Public Health, Department of Health Behavior, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama 35294 0022, USA
J Adolesc Health 39:43-9. 2006..To assess the independent effects of various behavioral and psychosocial antecedents on contraceptive use among a sample of low-income African-American adolescent females...
- Enhancing patient-physician communication: a community and culturally based approachMichelle Y Martin
University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham Alabama Division of Preventive Medicine, 35294 4410, USA
J Cancer Educ 20:150-4. 2005..African American women are more likely to be diagnosed at later stages of breast cancer...
- Design of a randomized clinical trial to improve rates of amblyopia detection in preschool aged children in primary care settingsTerry C Wall
University of Alabama at Birmingham, United States
Contemp Clin Trials 32:204-14. 2011..This is the first cRCT targeting amblyopia prevention...
- Association between anemia and aflatoxin B1 biomarker levels among pregnant women in Kumasi, GhanaFaisal M B Shuaib
Department of Epidemiology, Ryals School of Public Health, University of Alabama at Birmingham, AL 35294, USA
Am J Trop Med Hyg 83:1077-83. 2010..This study found a strong, consistent association between anemia in pregnancy and aflatoxins...
- Relationship characteristics and sexual practices of African American adolescent girls who desire pregnancySusan L Davies
Center for Health Promotion, Department of Health Behavior, University of Alabama at Birmingham, School of Public Health, 227 Ryals Building, Birmingham, AL 35294, USA
Health Educ Behav 31:85S-96S. 2004..Effective pregnancy and sexually transmitted disease prevention programs for female adolescents should address their level of pregnancy desire...
- The association between income, education, and experiences of discrimination in older African American and European American patientsJewell H Halanych
Department of Medicine, University of Alabama at Birmingham, USA
Ethn Dis 21:223-9. 2011..In this study, we describe the associations of discrimination with income and education in elderly African Americans (AA) and European Americans (EA)...
- Obesity Modifies the Association of Race/Ethnicity with Medication Adherence in the CARDIA StudyMaribel Salas
1 Division of Preventive Medicine, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama, USA 2 Division of Epidemiology and Community Health, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
Patient 1:41-54. 2008..To assess associations between race/ethnicity and medication adherence, and the potential modifying effects of weight category (normal, overweight, obese) in a community-based sample...
- Multicomponent Internet continuing medical education to promote chlamydia screeningJeroan J Allison
Division of General Internal Medicine, University of Alabama at Birmingham, 720 Faculty Office Tower, 1530 3rd Avenue South, Birmingham, AL 35294 3407, USA
Am J Prev Med 28:285-90. 2005..Low Chlamydia trachomatis screening rates create an opportunity to test innovative continuing medical education (CME) programs. Few studies of Internet-based physician learning have been evaluated with objective data on practice patterns...
- Variations in physicians' advice for managing hypertension in women: a study using NHANES IIIMichelle Y Martin
Division of Preventive Medicine, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL 35294, USA
Prev Med 43:337-42. 2006..To examine the pattern of physician advice-giving to individuals with hypertension and to determine if advice-giving and adherence to advice vary by race...
- Active and passive smoking and development of glucose intolerance among young adults in a prospective cohort: CARDIA studyThomas K Houston
Deep South Center on Effectiveness Research, Birmingham Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Birmingham, AL, USA
BMJ 332:1064-9. 2006..To assess whether active and passive smokers are more likely than non-smokers to develop clinically relevant glucose intolerance or diabetes...
- Do local opinion leaders augment hospital quality improvement efforts? A randomized trial to promote adherence to unstable angina guidelinesEta S Berner
Center for Outcomes and Effectiveness Research and Education, School of Health Related Professions, University of Alabama at Birmingham, 35294, USA
Med Care 41:420-31. 2003..The influence of an opinion leader intervention on adherence to Unstable Angina (UA) guidelines compared with a traditional quality improvement model was investigated...
- Patient smoking cessation advice by health care providers: the role of ethnicity, socioeconomic status, and healthThomas K Houston
Deep South Center for Effectiveness Research, Birmingham Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Alabama, USA
Am J Public Health 95:1056-61. 2005..We assessed differences by ethnicity in ever receiving advice from providers to quit smoking. We evaluated whether socioeconomic status and health status were moderators of the association...
- Quantitative pediatric vision screening in primary care settings in AlabamaWendy L Marsh-Tootle
School of Optometry, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama 35294, USA
Optom Vis Sci 85:849-56. 2008..Alabama Medicaid reimburses "objective" vision screening (VS), i.e., by acuity or similar quantitative method, and well child checks (WCCs) separately. We analyzed the frequency of each service obtained...
- Vaginal douching among Latina immigrantsKatherine S Redding
Division of Preventive Medicine, University of Alabama, Birmingham, AL 35294 4410, USA
Matern Child Health J 14:274-82. 2010..Factors associated with douching in this population vary from those in other U.S. populations and, therefore, it needs to be addressed in a culturally appropriate manner...
- Validity of self-reports of reasons for hospitalization by young adults and risk factors for discordance with medical records: the Coronary Artery Risk Development in Young Adults (CARDIA) StudyAtiq Rahman
School of Medicine, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL 35294 0008, USA
Am J Epidemiol 162:491-8. 2005..This has important implications, since obtaining medical records has become more costly and logistically difficult...
- Association of consultation between generalists and cardiologists with quality and outcomes of heart failure careAli Ahmed
aDivision of Gerontology and Geriatric Medicine, Department of Medicine, School of Medicine, Center for Aging, University of Alabama at Birmingham, USA
Am Heart J 145:1086-93. 2003..The objective of this retrospective cohort study was to determine whether consultation between generalists and cardiologists was associated with better quality and outcomes of HF care...