Letitia Anne Peplau
Affiliation: University of California
- A critique of Bem's "Exotic Becomes Erotic" theory of sexual orientationL A Peplau
Department of Psychology, University of California, Los Angeles 90095 1563, USA
Psychol Rev 105:387-94. 1998..Bem's conceptualization of erotic desire and his analysis of gender nonconformity illustrate this problem. It is suggested that different theories may be needed to explain the development of men's and women's sexual orientation...
- Body image satisfaction in heterosexual, gay, and lesbian adultsLetitia Anne Peplau
Department of Psychology, University of California, 4441 Franz Hall, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1563, USA
Arch Sex Behav 38:713-25. 2009..There was little evidence that lesbian women experience greater body satisfaction than heterosexual women...
- The close relationships of Lesbians and gay menLetitia Anne Peplau
Psychology Department, University of California, Los Angeles, California 90095 1563, USA
Annu Rev Psychol 58:405-24. 2007....
- Stigma management and well-being: the role of perceived social support, emotional processing, and suppressionKristin P Beals
Department of Psychology, California State University, Fullerton, Fullerton, CA 92834, USA
Pers Soc Psychol Bull 35:867-79. 2009..This research advances the scientific understanding of concealable stigmatized identities and their impact on individual well-being...
- Interest in cosmetic surgery and body image: views of men and women across the lifespanDavid A Frederick
Department of Psychology, University of California, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, Calif 90095 1563, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 120:1407-15. 2007..Little is known about interest in cosmetic surgery among the general public or how this interest is related to gender, age, relationship status, body mass index, or body image satisfaction...
- Gender and perceptions of romantic partners' sexual riskTerri D Conley
Department of Psychology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 41809, USA
J Sex Med 7:794-802. 2010..Gustafson's gender role perspective on risk perception suggests that this is because women are socialized to feel that they need protection, especially from men...
- Parent adjustment over time in gay, lesbian, and heterosexual parent families adopting from foster careJustin A Lavner
Department of Psychology, University of California
Am J Orthopsychiatry 84:46-53. 2014..PsycINFO Database Record (c) 2014 APA, all rights reserved). ..
- Can gay and lesbian parents promote healthy development in high-risk children adopted from foster care?Justin A Lavner
UCLA Department of Psychology, Box 951563, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1563, USA
Am J Orthopsychiatry 82:465-72. 2012..Results demonstrated that high-risk children show similar patterns of development over time in heterosexual and gay and lesbian adoptive households...
- Disclosure patterns within social networks of gay men and lesbiansKristin P Beals
Psychology Department, California State University, Fullerton, 92834 6846, USA
J Homosex 51:101-20. 2006..For example, it was found that participants have better relationships with individuals they have directly told about their sexual orientation than with people who found out in an indirect manner...
- Giving up and giving in: the costs and benefits of daily sacrifice in intimate relationshipsEmily A Impett
Center for Research on Gender and Sexuality, San Francisco State University, San Francisco, CA 94110, USA
J Pers Soc Psychol 89:327-44. 2005..Perceptions of a partner's motives for sacrifice were also associated with well-being and relationship quality. Implications for the conceptualization of relationship maintenance processes along these 2 dimensions are discussed...