Affiliation: University of California
- Underutilization of social insurance among the poor: evidence from the PhilippinesStella Quimbo
School of Economics, University of the Philippines, Diliman, Quezon City, Philippines
PLoS ONE 3:e3379. 2008..Many developing countries promote social health insurance as a means to eliminate unmet health needs. However, this strategy may be ineffective if there are barriers to fully utilizing insurance...
- Quality of care associated with number of cases seen and self-reports of clinical competence for Japanese physicians-in-training in internal medicineYasuaki Hayashino
Kyoto University Graduate School of Medicine, Kyoto, Japan
BMC Med Educ 6:33. 2006....
- Comparison of vignettes, standardized patients, and chart abstraction: a prospective validation study of 3 methods for measuring qualityJ W Peabody
San Francisco Veterans Affairs Medical Center and Institute for Global Health, University of California, 94105, USA
JAMA 283:1715-22. 2000..Better health care quality is a universal goal, yet measuring quality has proven to be difficult and problematic. A central problem has been isolating physician practices from other effects of the health care system...
- Financial incentives and measurement improved physicians' quality of care in the PhilippinesJohn Peabody
University of California, San Francisco, California, USA
Health Aff (Millwood) 30:773-81. 2011..Our findings suggest that when careful measurement is combined with the types of incentives we studied, there may be a larger impact on quality than previously recognized...
- Quality variation and its impact on costs and satisfaction: evidence from the QIDS studyJohn W Peabody
Global Health Sciences, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94105, USA
Med Care 48:25-30. 2010..However, the relationship between rising quality and costs is unclear; similarly the relationship between varying levels of quality and a patient's satisfaction remains poorly defined...
- A cross-national comparison of the quality of clinical care using vignettesJohn W Peabody
Institute for Global Health, San Francisco, CA 94105, USA
Health Policy Plan 22:294-302. 2007..We conclude that some physicians provide exceptional care even in the setting of limited resources. Furthermore, poor quality can be addressed by health policy planners by directing remediation toward the lowest performers...
- Indoor air pollution in rural China: cooking fuels, stoves, and health statusJohn W Peabody
Institute for Global Health, University of California, San Francisco, USA
Arch Environ Occup Health 60:86-95. 2005..Decreasing household coal use, increasing use of improved stove technology, and increasing kitchen ventilation may decrease the short-term health effects of indoor air pollution...
- Quality of care and its impact on population health: a cross-sectional study from MacedoniaJohn W Peabody
Institute for Global Health, UC San Francisco, USA
Soc Sci Med 62:2216-24. 2006..05). This linkage between quality of clinical care and health suggests that policies that improve clinical practice have the potential to improve population health more rapidly than other interventions...
- The burden of disease, economic costs and clinical consequences of tuberculosis in the PhilippinesJohn W Peabody
Institute for Global Health, University of California at San Francisco, 50 Beale Street, Ste 1200, San Francisco, CA 94105, USA
Health Policy Plan 20:347-53. 2005..To provide a multidisciplinary and comprehensive analysis on the impact of tuberculosis (TB) in a high incidence country...
- Assessing the accuracy of administrative data in health information systemsJohn W Peabody
San Francisco Veterans Affairs Medical Center, San Francisco, California, USA
Med Care 42:1066-72. 2004..Administrative data play a central role in health care. Inaccuracies in such data are costly to health systems, they obscure health research, and they affect the quality of patient care...
- Measuring the quality of physician practice by using clinical vignettes: a prospective validation studyJohn W Peabody
San Francisco Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Institute for Global Health, University of California, San Francisco 94105, USA
Ann Intern Med 141:771-80. 2004..Worldwide efforts are under way to improve the quality of clinical practice. Most quality measurements, however, are poorly validated, expensive, and difficult to compare among sites...
- An evaluation of universal health insurance in the elderly: burden of disease, utilization, and costs in the Republic of KoreaJohn W Peabody
San Francisco Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Institute for Global Health, San Francisco, CA, USA
J Aging Health 14:286-309. 2002..This article evaluates Korea's national health insurance system for the elderly by simultaneously examining disease patterns, demand for care, utilization, costs of care, and facility type...
- When do developing countries adopt managed care policies and technologies? Part I: Policies, experience, and a framework of preconditionsJohn W Peabody
Institute for Global Health, San Francisco Veterans Affairs Medical Center, UCSF School of Medicine, Calif 94105, USA
Am J Manag Care 8:997-1007. 2002..We propose a straightforward method to evaluate the economic and policy environment of a developing country to assess when managed care might be introduced...
- Demonstrating bias and improved inference for stoves' health benefitsValerie Mueller
International Food Policy Research Institute, Development Strategy and Governance Division, Washington, DC, USA
Int J Epidemiol 40:1643-51. 2011..Evaluations of stove improvements can suffer from bias because they rarely address health-relevant differences between the households who get improvements and those who do not...
- Elevated blood-lead levels among children living in the rural PhilippinesTravis J Riddell
Institute for Global Health, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94105, USA
Bull World Health Organ 85:674-80. 2007..As part of this study, we researched lead exposure in children under the age of five...
- An evaluation of vignettes for predicting variation in the quality of preventive careTimothy R Dresselhaus
VA San Diego Healthcare System, University of California, San Diego, CA, USA
J Gen Intern Med 19:1013-8. 2004..We examined whether vignettes accurately measure and predict variation in the quality of preventive care...
- When do developing countries adopt managed care policies and technologies? Part II: Infrastructure, techniques, and reform strategiesJeff Luck
West Los Angeles Veterans Affairs Medical Center, UCLA School of Public Health, Los Angeles, Calif, USA
Am J Manag Care 8:1093-103. 2002..Also, to describe how managed care techniques can be integrated into health system reform strategies...
- Market reforms and public incentives: finding a balance in the Republic of MacedoniaRobert J Nordyke
International Public Policy and Management Program, School of Policy, Planning and Development, University of Southern California, USA
Soc Sci Med 54:939-53. 2002....
- Quality of ambulatory care for women and men in the Veterans Affairs Health Care SystemAshish K Jha
Department of Health Policy and Management, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Gen Intern Med 20:762-5. 2005..Gender differences in inpatient quality of care are well known. However, whether men and women receive equivalent ambulatory care is less well understood...
- Associations between cognitive function, blood lead concentration, and nutrition among children in the central PhilippinesOrville Solon
School of Economics, University of the Philippines, Diliman, Quezon City
J Pediatr 152:237-43. 2008..Because little is known about its effects on cognitive function among children in less-developed countries, we determined the impact of lead exposure from other nutritional determinants of cognitive ability...
- Using standardised patients to measure physicians' practice: validation study using audio recordingsJeff Luck
Veterans Administration, Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System, 11 301 Wilshire Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90073, USA
BMJ 325:679. 2002..To assess the validity of standardised patients to measure the quality of physicians' practice...
- Using vignettes to compare the quality of clinical care variation in economically divergent countriesJohn W Peabody
Health Serv Res 39:1951-70. 2004..To determine whether clinical vignettes can measure variations in the quality of clinical care in two economically divergent countries...
- Philippine Child Health and Policy ExperimentJohn Peabody; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- The Philippine Child Health and Policy ExperimentJohn Peabody; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- The Philippine Child Health and Policy ExperimentJohn Peabody; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- The Philippine Child Health and Policy ExperimentJohn Peabody; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Philippine Child Health and Policy ExperimentJohn Peabody; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..