Affiliation: University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences
- Association of alpha-synuclein gene haplotypes with Parkinson's diseaseA J Parsian
Department of Pediatrics, College of Medicine, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, ACHRI, 1120 Marshall Street, Little Rock, AR 72202, USA
Parkinsonism Relat Disord 13:343-7. 2007..Our results indicate that Rep1 locus may be in linkage disequilibrium (LD) with a mutation in the gene or itself could be a risk factor for SPD...
- Prevalence of parkin gene mutations and variations in idiopathic Parkinson's diseaseRashmi Sinha
Department of Pediatrics, UMAS College of Medicine, Little Rock, AR, USA
Parkinsonism Relat Disord 11:341-7. 2005..We concluded that no new mutation, nor the previously described parkin polymorphisms or known mutations, are playing any direct role in the development of PD in this group of PD patients...
- Influence of heterozygosity for parkin mutation on onset age in familial Parkinson disease: the GenePD studyMei Sun
Molecular Neurogenetics Unit, Center for Human Genetic Research, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston 02114, USA
Arch Neurol 63:826-32. 2006..The PARK2 gene at 6q26 encodes parkin, whose inactivation is implicated in an early-onset autosomal recessive form of Parkinson disease (PD)...
- Collaborative analysis of alpha-synuclein gene promoter variability and Parkinson diseaseDemetrius M Maraganore
Department of Neurology, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, Minn 55905, USA
JAMA 296:661-70. 2006..Alpha-synuclein (SNCA) has been one of the most promising susceptibility genes, but large-scale studies have been lacking...
- Parkinson's disease and apolipoprotein E: possible association with dementia but not age at onsetAbbas Parsian
University of Louisville Birth Defects Center, University of Louisville Health Sciences Center, Louisville, Kentucky 40202, USA
Genomics 79:458-61. 2002..05 level. We conclude that APOE does not play an important role in susceptibility to PD or age at onset of PD, but may play a role in dementia associated with PD in our sample...
- Functional variation in promoter region of monoamine oxidase A and subtypes of alcoholism: haplotype analysisAbbas Parsian
Birth Defects Center, Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, University of Louisville Health Sciences Center, Louisville, Kentucky, USA
Am J Med Genet B Neuropsychiatr Genet 117:46-50. 2003..After Bonferroni's correction for multiple tests none of the results remained significant at P < 0.05. Our results indicate that MAO-A may play a role in the development of alcoholism but the gene effect is very small...
- Linkage disequilibrium and haplotype analysis between serotonin receptor 1B gene variations and subtypes of alcoholismRashmi Sinha
Birth Defects Center, Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, University of Louisville Health Sciences Center, Louisville, Kentucky 40202, USA
Am J Med Genet B Neuropsychiatr Genet 121:83-8. 2003..The pattern of distribution of haplotypes was similar in patients and controls. It is concluded that these SNPs are not playing any direct role in the development of susceptibility to alcoholism in our patient sample...
- Association of a variation in the promoter region of the brain-derived neurotrophic factor gene with familial Parkinson's diseaseAbbas Parsian
Birth Defects Center, University of Louisville Health Sciences Center, Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, 501 S Preston Street, Room 301, Louisville, KY 40202, USA
Parkinsonism Relat Disord 10:213-9. 2004..Our data indicate the possibility of linkage disequilibrium between the C270T variation and a mutation in coding region of the BDNF gene and suggest that this gene may play a role in the development of familial PD...
- Depressive-like behavior and high alcohol drinking co-occur in the FH/WJD rat but appear to be under independent genetic controlDavid H Overstreet
Department of Psychiatry and Center for Alcohol Studies, University of North Carolina, CB 7178, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 7178, USA
Neurosci Biobehav Rev 31:103-14. 2007..These findings suggest that although depressive-like behavior and high alcohol intake co-occur in the FH/Wjd rat, they are independently regulated...
- QTL Mapping in Inbred FH Rat Strain for Alcohol IntakeAbbas Parsian; Fiscal Year: 2007..Finally, the identification of alcoholism-related genes will help to define their roles in the development of severe alcoholism. ..