Affiliation: University of Maryland
- Diversity and function of adaptive immune receptors in a jawless vertebrateMatthew N Alder
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Department of Medicine, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL 35294, USA
Science 310:1970-3. 2005..These findings reveal that two strikingly different modes of antigen recognition through rearranged lymphocyte receptors have evolved in the jawless and jawed vertebrates...
- Structure of a lamprey variable lymphocyte receptor in complex with a protein antigenC Alejandro Velikovsky
Center for Advanced Research in Biotechnology, WM Keck Laboratory for Structural Biology, University of Maryland Biotechnology Institute, Rockville, Maryland, USA
Nat Struct Mol Biol 16:725-30. 2009..We further demonstrated that VLRs can be affinity-matured by 13-fold to affinities as high as those of IgG antibodies, making VLRs potential alternatives to antibodies for biotechnology applications...
- The evolution of adaptive immunityZeev Pancer
Center of Marine Biotechnology, University of Maryland Biotechnology Institute, Baltimore, Maryland 21202, USA
Annu Rev Immunol 24:497-518. 2006....
- High-affinity lamprey VLRA and VLRB monoclonal antibodiesSatoshi Tasumi
Center of Marine Biotechnology, University of Maryland Biotechnology Institute, Baltimore, MD 21202, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106:12891-6. 2009..VLRs may be useful natural single-chain alternatives to conventional antibodies for biotechnology applications...
- The immune gene repertoire encoded in the purple sea urchin genomeTaku Hibino
Sunnybrook Research Institute and Department of Medical Biophysics, University of Toronto, 2075 Bayview Ave, Room S 126B, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M4N 3M5
Dev Biol 300:349-65. 2006..The genome sequence provides immediate opportunities to apply the advantages of the sea urchin model toward problems in developmental and evolutionary immunobiology...
- Somatic diversification of variable lymphocyte receptors in the agnathan sea lampreyZeev Pancer
Division of Developmental and Clinical Immunology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama 35294, USA
Nature 430:174-80. 2004..Different evolutionary strategies were thus used to generate highly diverse lymphocyte receptors through rearrangement of LRR modules in agnathans (jawless fish) and of immunoglobulin gene segments in gnathostomes (jawed vertebrates)...
- Variable lymphocyte receptors in hagfishZeev Pancer
Division of Developmental and Clinical Immunology, Department of Medicine, University of Alabama, Birmingham, AL 35294, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102:9224-9. 2005..The development of two very different strategies for receptor diversification at the dawn of vertebrate evolution approximately 500 million years ago attests to the fitness value of a lymphocyte-based system of anticipatory immunity...
- Evolution and diversification of lamprey antigen receptors: evidence for involvement of an AID-APOBEC family cytosine deaminaseIgor B Rogozin
National Center for Biotechnology Information, National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20894, USA
Nat Immunol 8:647-56. 2007..Vertebrate acquired immunity could have therefore originated from lymphocyte receptor diversification by an ancestral AID-like DNA cytosine deaminase...
- The amphioxus genome illuminates vertebrate origins and cephalochordate biologyLinda Z Holland
Marine Biology Research Division, Scripps Institution of Oceanography, La Jolla, California 92093 0202, USA
Genome Res 18:1100-11. 2008..Our results indicate that the amphioxus genome is elemental to an understanding of the biology and evolution of nonchordate deuterostomes, invertebrate chordates, and vertebrates...
- Prototypic T cell receptor and CD4-like coreceptor are expressed by lymphocytes in the agnathan sea lampreyZeev Pancer
Department of Medicine, Division of Developmental and Clinical Immunology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL 35294 3300, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 101:13273-8. 2004..Thus, the TCR-like gene cannot account for the receptor diversity that is required for the immune responses reported for lamprey, but it could have been easily modified to serve as an evolutionary precursor of modern TCR and Ig genes...