Steven C Palmer
Affiliation: University of Pennsylvania
- Metrics to evaluate treatment summaries and survivorship care plans: a scorecardSteven C Palmer
Department of Psychiatry, University of Pennsylvania, 3400 Spruce St, 1103 Penn Tower, Philadelphia, PA, 19104, USA
Support Care Cancer 22:1475-83. 2014..This manuscript presents a recently developed tool to allow rating of breast cancer-specific TS/SCPs as a model for assessing concordance with IOM recommendations and facilitating research and clinical fidelity...
- Is screening effective in detecting untreated psychiatric disorders among newly diagnosed breast cancer patients?Steven C Palmer
Department of Psychiatry, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA, USA
Cancer 118:2735-43. 2012..This study adopts the novel strategy of evaluating the effectiveness of screening after correcting for disorder for which treatment is already being provided...
- Experience of trauma, distress, and posttraumatic stress disorder among breast cancer patientsSteven C Palmer
Abramson Cancer Center of the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA, USA
Psychosom Med 66:258-64. 2004..We examined the relationships between the experience of trauma, psychological distress, and PTSD among a waiting room sample of patients with breast cancer...
- The effects of a problem solving-based intervention on depressive symptoms and HIV medication adherence are independentRobert Gross
Center for Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics and Department of Biostatistics and Epidemiology, University of Pennsylvania Perelman School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States of America Center for Pharmacoepidemiology Research and Training, University of Pennsylvania Perelman School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States of America Division of Infectious Diseases, Department of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania Perelman School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States of America Philadelphia Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States of America
PLoS ONE 9:e84952. 2014..Thus, interventions for medication adherence may not need to address depressive symptoms in order to impact both adherence and depression; this remains to be confirmed, however, in other data. ..
- Distress, psychiatric morbidity, and prescriptions for psychotropic medication in a breast cancer waiting room sampleJames C Coyne
Departments of Psychiatry and Hematology Oncology, Abramson Cancer Center of the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Gen Hosp Psychiatry 26:121-8. 2004..The low rate of untreated psychiatric morbidity may signal a need for multisite collaborations to generate adequate numbers of participants in clinical trials...
- Adult cancer survivorship: evolution, research, and planning careLinda A Jacobs
LIVESTRONG Survivorship Center of Excellence Abramson Cancer Center, University of Pennsylvania School of Nursing, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
CA Cancer J Clin 59:391-410. 2009..Finally, an overview of evolving treatment summary and care plan initiatives is presented...
- Survivorship care planning after the institute of medicine recommendations: how are we faring?Carrie Tompkins Stricker
Abramson Cancer Center at the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
J Cancer Surviv 5:358-70. 2011....
- Comparison of objective and patient-reported hot flash measures in men with prostate cancerLaura J Hanisch
Department of Psychiatry, University of Pennsylvania, School of Social Policy and Practice, Philadelphia, PA, USA
J Support Oncol 7:131-5. 2009..Conversely, the use of retrospective diaries may be adequate for clinical practice to determine clinically significant changes in salient events...
- A randomized, controlled study of Internet peer-to-peer interactions among women newly diagnosed with breast cancerMark S Salzer
University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Psychooncology 19:441-6. 2010..This paper reports findings from the first randomized, controlled study of the benefits of these types of Internet-based peer interactions...
- Positive changes, increased spiritual importance, and complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) use among cancer survivorsJun J Mao
Department of Family Medicine and Community Health, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Integr Cancer Ther 9:339-47. 2010....
- Unmet psychosocial needs of Pennsylvanians with cancer: 1986-2005Frances K Barg
Department of Family Medicine and Community Health, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Cancer 110:631-9. 2007..The purpose of the current study was to identify unmet psychosocial needs of cancer survivors, understand the distribution of needs across subgroups, and compare unmet needs in 2005 with those identified by Houts et al. in 1986...
- Prevalence and correlates of sexual morbidity in long-term breast cancer survivorsGreer A Raggio
a Department of Psychology, Drexel University, Philadelphia, PA, USA
Psychol Health 29:632-50. 2014....
- Pregnancy-related discontinuation of antidepressants and depression care visits among Medicaid recipientsIan M Bennett
Department of Family Medicine and Community Health, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Psychiatr Serv 61:386-91. 2010..This study examined whether pregnancy is associated with discontinuation of care for depression among low-income women...
- Psychotherapy does not promote survival (Kissane et al., 2007): now what?James C Coyne
University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, PA, USA
Psychooncology 16:1050-2. 2007
- Validation of sternal skin conductance for detection of hot flashes in prostate cancer survivorsLaura J Hanisch
Department of Psychiatry, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Psychophysiology 44:189-93. 2007..This study demonstrates that sternal skin conductance can be used to detect hot flashes in men in a manner analogous to its utilization among women. Such use would improve outcome analysis of treatment studies...
- Cardiovascular risk in long-term survivors of testicular cancerDavid J Vaughn
Department of Medicine, Hematology Oncology Division, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Cancer 112:1949-53. 2008..A cross-sectional study was performed to objectively assess cardiovascular risk, subclinical atherosclerosis, and endothelial function in long-term survivors of TC...
- Psychotherapy and survival in cancer: the conflict between hope and evidenceJames C Coyne
Department of Psychiatry, Abramson Cancer Center of the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA, USA
Psychol Bull 133:367-94. 2007..Among the implications of the review is that an adequately powered study examining effects of psychotherapy on survival after a diagnosis of cancer would require resources that are not justified by the strength of the available evidence...
- Pilot trial of adjuvant paclitaxel plus estramustine in resected high-risk prostate cancerJeremy P Cetnar
Division of Hematology Oncology, Abramson Cancer Center, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104 4283, USA
Urology 71:942-6. 2008..To determine the feasibility and toxicity of adjuvant paclitaxel plus estramustine in prostate cancer patients at high risk of a 2-year PSA failure after prostatectomy...
- Interest in services among prostate cancer patients receiving androgen deprivation therapyPamela J Shapiro
Department of Psychiatry, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, USA
Psychooncology 13:512-25. 2004..Health care providers should consider integrating increased informational support into routine care and, more generally, consider patient preferences in prioritizing and designing support services...
- Efficacy of psychosocial interventions in cancer care: evidence is weaker than it first looksJames C Coyne
Abramson Cancer Center of the University of Pennsylvania, Department of Psychiatry, School of Medicine, Philadelphia 19104, USA
Ann Behav Med 32:104-10. 2006..Required registering of the details of clinical trials and adherence to CONSORT reduces but does not eliminate bias in the literature...
- Managed problem solving for antiretroviral therapy adherence: a randomized trialRobert Gross
Division of Infectious Diseases, Department of Medicine, Center for Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, University of Pennsylvania Perelman School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA 19104 6021, USA
JAMA Intern Med 173:300-6. 2013..We sought to determine whether an intervention derived from problem solving theory, Managed Problem Solving (MAPS), would improve antiretroviral outcomes...
- Marital quality, coping with conflict, marital complaints, and affection in couples with a depressed wifeJames C Coyne
Department of Psychiatry, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Pennsylvania, USA
J Fam Psychol 16:26-37. 2002..Both groups of depressed women and their husbands reported fewer expressions of affection and more complaints about the marriage than did control couples. Results are discussed in terms of interpersonal perspectives on depression...
- Screening for depression in medical care: pitfalls, alternatives, and revised prioritiesSteven C Palmer
Department of Psychiatry, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, 3400 Spruce Street 11 Gates, Philadelphia 19104, USA
J Psychosom Res 54:279-87. 2003..We offer suggestions for how screening instruments might be used to improve the outcomes of depressed persons while minimizing negative effects on health care...
- Examining the evidence that psychotherapy improves the survival of cancer patientsSteven C Palmer
Biol Psychiatry 56:61-2; author reply 62-4. 2004
- Does psychotherapy extend survival? Some methodological problems overlookedJames C Coyne
J Clin Oncol 25:4852-3; author reply 4853-4. 2007
- More claims about depression, immune function, and survival that exceed the evidenceJames C Coyne
J Clin Oncol 25:5328-9; author reply 5329-31. 2007
- National Comorbidity Survey data concerning cancer and depression lack credibilityJames C Coyne
Psychother Psychosom 74:260-1; author reply 261-2. 2005
- Prescribing antidepressants to advanced cancer patients with mild depressive symptoms is not justifiedJames C Coyne
J Clin Oncol 22:205-6; author reply 206-8. 2004
- Screening for depression in adultsJames C Coyne
Ann Intern Med 138:767; author reply 767-8. 2003
- Health behaviors in testicular cancer survivorsSteven Palmer; Fiscal Year: 2007..Our overarching goal is to describe modifiable determinates of HBs among TCS so that interventions can be undertaken to assist TCS's in improving HBs. PHS 398/2590 (Rev. 09/04, Reissued 4/2006) Page Continuation Format Page ..