Phyllis M Palmer
Affiliation: University of New Mexico
- Swallow characteristics in patients with oculopharyngeal muscular dystrophyPhyllis M Palmer
Department of Speech and Hearing Sciences, University of New Mexico, MSC01 1195, 1 University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM 87131, USA
J Speech Lang Hear Res 53:1567-78. 2010..This prospective investigation evaluates oral weakness and its impact on swallow function, weight, and quality of life in patients with oculopharyngeal muscular dystrophy (OPMD)...
- Effects of a sour bolus on the intramuscular electromyographic (EMG) activity of muscles in the submental regionPhyllis M Palmer
Department of Speech and Hearing Sciences, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
Dysphagia 20:210-7. 2005..A sour bolus also resulted in a stronger muscle contraction as evidenced by greater electromyographic activity. These data support the use of a sour bolus as part of a treatment paradigm...
- Quantitative contributions of the muscles of the tongue, floor-of-mouth, jaw, and velum to tongue-to-palate pressure generationPhyllis M Palmer
University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM 87131, USA
J Speech Lang Hear Res 51:828-35. 2008..Methods Seven healthy adults performed tongue-to-palate pressure tasks at known percentages of their maximum pressure while intramuscular EMG was recorded from the muscles stated above. Multiple regression analysis was performed...
- Is tongue strength an important influence on rate of articulation in diadochokinetic and reading tasks?Amy T Neel
University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM, USA
J Speech Lang Hear Res 55:235-46. 2012..The purpose of this study was to assess the relationship between tongue strength and rate of articulation in 2 speech tasks, diadochokinetic rates and reading aloud, in healthy men and women between 20 and 78 years of age...
- Timing of glottic closure during swallowing: a combined electromyographic and endoscopic analysisDouglas J Van Daele
Department of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, University of Iowa Roy J. and Lucille A. Carver College of Medicine, Iowa City, Iowa 52242-1078, USA
Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 114:478-87. 2005..Shifting of arytenoid medialization and glottic closure earlier in the super-supraglottic swallow indicates that glottic closure is under significant voluntary control...