Michael N Oxman
Affiliation: University of California
- A vaccine to prevent herpes zoster and postherpetic neuralgia in older adultsM N Oxman
Shingles Prevention Study Mail code 111F 1, VA San Diego Healthcare System, 3350 La Jolla Village Dr, San Diego, CA 92161, USA
N Engl J Med 352:2271-84. 2005..We tested the hypothesis that vaccination against VZV would decrease the incidence, severity, or both of herpes zoster and postherpetic neuralgia among older adults...
- Zoster vaccine: current status and future prospectsMichael N Oxman
Infectious Diseases Section, Department of Veterans Affairs San Diego Healthcare System, and Division of Infectious Diseases, University of California, San Diego, USA
Clin Infect Dis 51:197-213. 2010..Prospects for improved zoster vaccines and their use in immunocompromised patients are discussed, and questions related to zoster vaccine use are addressed...
- Herpes zoster pathogenesis and cell-mediated immunity and immunosenescenceMichael N Oxman
University of California, San Diego, Staff Physician Infectious Diseases, VA San Diego Healthcare System, San Diego, CA 92161 0001, USA
J Am Osteopath Assoc 109:S13-7. 2009..The study demonstrated that the zoster vaccine produced significant reductions in the incidence of herpes zoster, in the burden of illness caused by herpes zoster, and in the incidence of PHN...
- Vaccination against Herpes Zoster and Postherpetic NeuralgiaMichael N Oxman
VA San Diego Healthcare System, San Diego, California, USA
J Infect Dis 197:S228-36. 2008..VZV vaccines can boost VZV-CMI. Therefore, we tested the hypothesis that VZV vaccination would protect older adults against HZ and PHN...
- Vaccination to prevent herpes zoster and postherpetic neuralgiaMichael N Oxman
University of California San Diego, VA San Diego Healthcare System, San Diego, California, USA
Hum Vaccin 3:64-8. 2007
- Varicella zoster virus-specific immune responses to a herpes zoster vaccine in elderly recipients with major depression and the impact of antidepressant medicationsMichael R Irwin
Cousins Center for Psychoneuroimmunology, UCLA Semel Institute for Neuroscience, University of California, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA 90095 7057, USA
Clin Infect Dis 56:1085-93. 2013....
- Augmenting immune responses to varicella zoster virus in older adults: a randomized, controlled trial of Tai ChiMichael R Irwin
Cousins Center for Psychoneuroimmunology, Semel Institute for Neuroscience, University of California at Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 55:511-7. 2007..To evaluate the effects of a behavioral intervention, Tai Chi, on resting and vaccine-stimulated levels of cell-mediated immunity (CMI) to varicella zoster virus (VZV) and on health functioning in older adults...
- A real-time PCR assay to identify and discriminate among wild-type and vaccine strains of varicella-zoster virus and herpes simplex virus in clinical specimens, and comparison with the clinical diagnosesRuth Harbecke
Department of Veterans Affairs San Diego Healthcare System, San Diego, California, USA
J Med Virol 81:1310-22. 2009..With the PCR assay as the gold standard, the sensitivity of virus culture was 53% for VZV and 77% for HSV. There was 92% agreement between the clinical diagnosis of HZ by the Clinical Evaluation Committee and the PCR assay results...
- Major depressive disorder and immunity to varicella-zoster virus in the elderlyMichael R Irwin
Cousins Center for Psychoneuroimmunology, UCLA Semel Institute for Neuroscience and Department of Psychiatry and Biobehavioral Sciences, University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90095 7057, USA
Brain Behav Immun 25:759-66. 2011....
- Screening for depression in the older adult: criterion validity of the 10-item Center for Epidemiological Studies Depression Scale (CES-D)M Irwin
Department of Psychiatry, School of Medicine, University of California at San Diego and the Veterans Affairs Healthcare System, 92161, USA
Arch Intern Med 159:1701-4. 1999..A briefer 10-item version has been proposed, but there are few data on its properties as a screening instrument...
- Cellular immunity to varicella-zoster virus in patients with major depressionM Irwin
VA Medical Center, University of California, San Diego, USA
J Infect Dis 178:S104-8. 1998..These data indicate that major depression is associated with a marked decline in VZV-specific cellular immunity...
- Effects of a behavioral intervention, Tai Chi Chih, on varicella-zoster virus specific immunity and health functioning in older adultsMichael R Irwin
Cousins Center for Psychoneuroimmunonology, UCLA Neuropsychiatric Institute, University of California, Los Angeles 90095 7057, USA
Psychosom Med 65:824-30. 2003..This study examined whether a behavioral intervention, Tai Chi Chih (TCC), affects VZV specific immunity and health functioning in older adults who, on average, show impairments of health status and are at risk for shingles...
- Validation of a 3-factor scoring model for the Pittsburgh sleep quality index in older adultsJason C Cole
University of California, Cousins Center for Psychoneuroimmunology, Los Angeles, CA 90095-7076, USA
Sleep 29:112-6. 2006..CONCLUSIONS: These findings validate the factor structure of the PSQI and demonstrate that a 3-factor score should be used to assess disturbances in three separate factors of subjective sleep reports...
- Prior depression history and deterioration of physical health in community-dwelling older adults--a prospective cohort studyHyong Jin Cho
Cousins Center for Psychoneuroimmunology, University of California, Los Angeles, Semel Institute for Neuroscience, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Am J Geriatr Psychiatry 18:442-51. 2010..This study examined whether prior depression history predicts deterioration of physical health in community-dwelling older adults...
- Varicella-zoster virus-specific immune responses in elderly recipients of a herpes zoster vaccineM J Levin
University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, Colorado, USA
J Infect Dis 197:825-35. 2008..The trial included an immunology substudy to determine the relationship of VZV-specific immune responses to vaccination and clinical outcome...
- Development of a measure of the burden of pain due to herpes zoster and postherpetic neuralgia for prevention trials: adaptation of the brief pain inventoryPaul M Coplan
Merck Research Laboratories, West Point, Pennsylvania 19486, USA
J Pain 5:344-56. 2004..The ZBPI measure appears useful for quantifying herpes zoster pain, postherpetic neuralgia, and impairment in daily living activities for clinical trials of herpes zoster prevention...
- The impact of acute herpes zoster pain and discomfort on functional status and quality of life in older adultsKenneth E Schmader
Duke University, Durham, NC, USA
Clin J Pain 23:490-6. 2007....
- Impairments in health functioning and sleep quality in older adults with a history of depressionSarosh J Motivala
Department of Psychiatry and Biobehavioral Sciences, Cousins Center for Psychoneuroimmunology, University of California at Los Angeles, 90095, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 54:1184-91. 2006..Moreover, in view of the association between sleep quality and health status, testing of interventions that target sleep quality might identify strategies to improve health functioning in older adults...
- Recommendations for the management of herpes zosterRobert H Dworkin
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry, Rochester, NY, 14642, USA
Clin Infect Dis 44:S1-26. 2007..Specific recommendations for the use of these medications are provided. In addition, suggestions are made for treatments that, when used in combination with antiviral therapy, may further reduce pain and other complications of HZ...