Justin R Ortiz
Affiliation: University of Washington
- Monitoring influenza activity in the United States: a comparison of traditional surveillance systems with Google Flu TrendsJustin R Ortiz
University of Washington, Seattle, Washington, United States of America
PLoS ONE 6:e18687. 2011..Google Flu Trends was developed to estimate US influenza-like illness (ILI) rates from internet searches; however ILI does not necessarily correlate with actual influenza virus infections...
- Oseltamivir prescribing in pharmacy-benefits database, United States, 2004-2005Justin R Ortiz
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA, USA
Emerg Infect Dis 14:1280-3. 2008..We calculated rates of oseltamivir prescriptions to enrollees. Prescription rates increased significantly from 27.3/100,000 in 2004 to 134/100,000 in 2005 (p<0.05), which suggested that personal stockpiling of oseltamivir occurred...
- Influenza-associated cystic fibrosis pulmonary exacerbationsJustin R Ortiz
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, University of Washington Medical Center, Box 356522, 1959 NE Pacific St, Seattle, WA 98195 6522, USA
Chest 137:852-60. 2010..Although cystic fibrosis (CF) is the most common inherited respiratory disease, the burden of influenza among individuals with CF is not well characterized...
- Predictors of influenza vaccination in the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation patient registry, 2006 through 2007Justin R Ortiz
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, University of Washington Medical Center, Seattle, WA 98195 6522, USA
Chest 138:1448-55. 2010..Influenza vaccination is recommended for all persons with cystic fibrosis (CF). Despite this recommendation, no study has been performed to determine factors associated with receipt of influenza vaccination among persons with CF...
- Pandemic influenza in Africa, lessons learned from 1968: a systematic review of the literatureJustin R Ortiz
Department of Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, USA
Influenza Other Respir Viruses 6:11-24. 2012..To help understand the potential impact of the 2009 H1N1 pandemic in Africa, we reviewed published data from Africa of the two previous influenza pandemics...
- Translating vaccine policy into action: a report from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation Consultation on the prevention of maternal and early infant influenza in resource-limited settingsJustin R Ortiz
PATH, Seattle, WA 98109, USA
Vaccine 30:7134-40. 2012..We conclude with an analysis of data gaps and necessary activities to facilitate implementation of maternal influenza immunization programs in resource-limited settings...
- Strategy to enhance influenza surveillance worldwideJustin R Ortiz
University of Washington, Seattle, USA
Emerg Infect Dis 15:1271-8. 2009....
- A case of rapidly progressive necrotizing pneumonia caused by community-acquired methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureusRobert P Dickson
Department of Medicine, University of Washington Medical Center, 4245 Roosevelt Way NE, Seattle Washington 98105 6920, USA
Respir Care 53:1223-6. 2008..The patient's family elected to withdraw support, and the patient rapidly died following cessation of mechanical ventilation...
- Development of the Respiratory Index of Severity in Children (RISC) score among young children with respiratory infections in South AfricaCarrie Reed
Influenza Division, National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia, United States of America
PLoS ONE 7:e27793. 2012..A simple clinical score predicting the probability of death in a young child with lower respiratory tract infection (LRTI) could aid clinicians in case management and provide a standardized severity measure during epidemiologic studies...
- A national survey of the Infectious Diseases Society of America Emerging Infections Network concerning neuraminidase inhibitor prescription practices and pandemic influenza preparationsJustin R Ortiz
Epidemic Intelligence Service, Office of Workforce and Career Development, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Clin Infect Dis 43:494-7. 2006....
- Clinical care for severe influenza and other severe illness in resource-limited settings: the need for evidence and guidelinesJustin R Ortiz
International Respiratory and Severe Illness Center INTERSECT, University of Washington, Seattle, WA, USA
Influenza Other Respir Viruses 7:87-92. 2013....
- Clinical research during a public health emergency: a systematic review of severe pandemic influenza managementJustin R Ortiz
Department of Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, WA, USA
Crit Care Med 41:1345-52. 2013....
- Lack of evidence of avian-to-human transmission of avian influenza A (H5N1) virus among poultry workers, Kano, Nigeria, 2006Justin R Ortiz
Influenza Division, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA, USA
J Infect Dis 196:1685-91. 2007..In February 2006, poultry outbreaks of highly pathogenic avian influenza A (H5N1) virus were confirmed in Nigeria. A serosurvey was conducted to assess H5N1 transmission among poultry workers and laboratory workers in Nigeria...
- Association between smoking and latent tuberculosis in the U.S. population: an analysis of the National Health and Nutrition Examination SurveyDavid J Horne
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Department of Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, WA, USA
PLoS ONE 7:e49050. 2012..We sought to evaluate the association between LTBI and smoking in a low prevalence TB setting using population-based data from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES)...